Re: 2006 Kona Calder crankarms extractor?

On 19 Jul, 12:00, Morris <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've had my 2006 caldera for a year and I'm in the middle of upgrading
> the drivetrain to XT standard. One of problems UI've got is that after
> purchasing a ISIS crank extractor I learned to see it doesn't work. So
> my question is - what tool would I need to extract my current
> crankarms (they're just called Truvativ Blaze ISIS on the website).
> Would this tool be sufficient:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/14425.jpg

I thought someone more expert than me would respond to this, but as
they haven't, I'll tell you what I know.

In the middle of the crank there should be some kind of bolt. Remove
this first. I believe with newer cranks, this pulls off the crank at
the same time, but I've not seen one of these removed. If this does
not remove the crank, look where you removed the bolt. If you can see
threads there for something to screw into, you need a crank extractor
of the type shown in the picture. If they are there, the threads will
be very obvious. I believe they come in two sizes, standard and
oversized - no idea which you would need.

Sheldon Brown http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/cotterless.html tells
you how to use the tool.

If you can't see threads, sorry I don't know what you need.

> Plus - what other tool would I need to extract the bottom bracket?

Maybe something like this? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=680

But I don't know.

I assume your first language isn't English, so have you tried taking
the bike into a local bike shop and asking. You may not know what to
ask for, but if you've got the bike there to point at, it shouldn't be
too hard, and you can put any tool offered next to the bike to see if
its likely to fit.

Rob