Re: 3 climbers die

>> I would not choose to use a word, whether a placename or not, which
>> implicitly accepts the existence of a deity.
>>

> That's the hill between Deepdale Hause and Birks ruled out then. Your
> loss I believe.

Which hill is that, then ? I'm quite happy to climb a hill that's named after a
deity, I will just need to make up my own name for it...

--
Boo

"Boo" <reply_to_group_not_me@spam_me_no_spam.net> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
>>> I would not choose to use a word, whether a placename or not, which
>>> implicitly accepts the existence of a deity.
>>>

>> That's the hill between Deepdale Hause and Birks ruled out then. Your
>> loss I believe.

> Which hill is that, then ? I'm quite happy to climb a hill that's named
> after a deity, I will just need to make up my own name for it...

St.Sunday Crag > Boo Fell ?

--
"Beannachd leibh"

Theo
www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

In message <[email protected]>, Theo
<[email protected]> writes

>"Boo" <reply_to_group_not_me@spam_me_no_spam.net> schreef in bericht
>news:[email protected]...
>>>>
>>> That's the hill between Deepdale Hause and Birks ruled out then. Your
>>> loss I believe.

>> Which hill is that, then ? I'm quite happy to climb a hill that's named
>> after a deity, I will just need to make up my own name for it...

>St.Sunday Crag > Boo Fell ?

Does that make Bod an Deamhain become Bod an Boo?

--
Martin Richardson
283/284 Munros - 0.35% to go 34/34 'Furths'- 0% to go

Following up to Paul Saunders

>Many Americans already consider American English to be the "standard", and
>think we Brits speak it incorrectly.

but what does the rest of the world think?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site

Paul Saunders wrote:
> Boo wrote:
>
>>> There are still some unnamed summits in Wales. Usually boring lumps
>>> that no-one has bothered to name because they are so insignificant. Who
>>> gets to name them? Can I? I'm a local!

>> Only if you speak Welsh.

> Wel, dw i'n siarad dipyn fach o Gymraeg. :)

Twi hll butgever hallllewd doppydyp plaged !

--
Boo

> The name Everest is in common use in Nepal among any of the local population
> who speak English. This includes most Nepalis with any education at all as
> English is taught in the state run schools.

Thanks Bill ! Now I've won this argument I'm ducking out of this thread except
perhaps if anyone needs any further Welsh lessons :)

--
Boo

>> Many Americans already consider American English to be the "standard", and
>> think we Brits speak it incorrectly.

> but what does the rest of the world think?

"Just give them the f*cking oil for f*cks sake !" ?

--
Boo

In article <[email protected]>, The Reid
<[email protected]> writes
>Following up to Paul Saunders
>
>>Many Americans already consider American English to be the "standard", and
>>think we Brits speak it incorrectly.

>but what does the rest of the world think?

The Americans would - wouldn't they? Of course they're wrong :)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Following up to W. D. Grey

>>but what does the rest of the world think?

>The Americans would - wouldn't they? Of course they're wrong :)
>--
>Bill Grey

they cant even spell your name proper! :)
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

In article <[email protected]>, The Reid
<[email protected]> writes
>Following up to W. D. Grey
>
>>>but what does the rest of the world think?

>>The Americans would - wouldn't they? Of course they're wrong :)
>>--
>>Bill Grey

>they cant even spell your name proper! :)

True :)

My wife had to explain to someone that she was Grey with and "e" so that
person then spelled it Greye .......:-+
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

W. D. Grey <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders
>>Maybe. But wouldn't a colloquial Welsh speaker be acceptable on a jury?
>>It's not like they actually have to think much.

> It depends on the level of Welsh the defendant was speaking or Dealing
> in. There are many colloquialisms that are learned from birth, and if a
> "correct" version of whatever is used the local might not get the true
> interpretation

Apparently there's a consultation on the jury issue going on at the
moment:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4823058.stm

--
Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales

In article <[email protected]>, Rudi Winter
<[email protected]> writes
>W. D. Grey <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders
>>>Maybe. But wouldn't a colloquial Welsh speaker be acceptable on a jury?
>>>It's not like they actually have to think much.

>> It depends on the level of Welsh the defendant was speaking or Dealing
>> in. There are many colloquialisms that are learned from birth, and if a
>> "correct" version of whatever is used the local might not get the true
>> interpretation

>Apparently there's a consultation on the jury issue going on at the
>moment:
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4823058.stm

It is my opinion that if the defendant is equally fluent in both English
and Welsh, then for the sake of justice the Official language of the UK
- English should be used. To use Welsh for purely political reasons is
venturing into the dangerous realms of Nationalism.

The other day the R.C.C (I think) criticised highway authorities for
excessive road signs creating "Information Overload" to drivers.. here
in Wales we have I.O due to bi-lingual road signs. They can cause quite
awful confusion to locals never mind visitors.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

"W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, The Reid
> <[email protected]> writes
>>Following up to W. D. Grey

>>>The Americans would - wouldn't they? Of course they're wrong :)
>>>--
>>>Bill Grey

>>they cant even spell your name proper! :)

> True :)
>
> My wife had to explain to someone that she was Grey with and "e" so that
> person then spelled it Greye .......:-+
> --

Hey.....I'm Gray. [1]

Graham

[1] not that anyone calls me this.

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:21:20 +0000, Boo
<reply_to_group_not_me@spam_me_no_spam.net> wrote:

>> There are still some unnamed summits in Wales. Usually boring lumps that
>> no-one has bothered to name because they are so insignificant. Who gets to
>> name them? Can I? I'm a local!

>Only if you speak Welsh.

Try and find a few in the Radnor area where Herefordshire English has
been long established...

Richard Webb

>The vowels are the only problem. The consonants are all consistent, but the
>vowels usually have two different ways of being pronounced, and Y can be
>quite confusing. For example, mynydd is pronounced MUN-ITH (TH as in THE),
>in a two syllable word the second Y is pronounced differently.

Mynydd follows the old open except for the last syllable rule. A
doddle... Now how about the names here...

Richard Webb

Following up to W. D. Grey

>Baa-Baa Rainbow Sheep indeed ??

funnily enough I just read an article about that, quite
interesting. It said it was first reported in 86 and was done by
the "loony left" at Hackney, then in October that year where it
was in Haringay, the in 87 where it had moved to Islington, in
2000 it was in Birmingham and by 2005 in Aberdeen. "Parents and
children together" who run the playgroups in the most recent
outbreak said it was merely an attempt to encourage children to
think of their own adjectives, happy, sad, bouncing, pink or
whatever and nothing to do with race awareness, of course nobody
was interested in reporting that, it doesnt make "angry of
Bogner's" blood boil or sell newspapers!
--
Mike Reid
"Tis true, there's magic in the web" Othello Act III

Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site

In article <[email protected]>, The Reid
<[email protected]> writes
>Following up to W. D. Grey
>
>>Baa-Baa Rainbow Sheep indeed ??

>funnily enough I just read an article about that, quite
>interesting. It said it was first reported in 86 and was done by
>the "loony left" at Hackney, then in October that year where it
>was in Haringay, the in 87 where it had moved to Islington, in
>2000 it was in Birmingham and by 2005 in Aberdeen. "Parents and
>children together" who run the playgroups in the most recent
>outbreak said it was merely an attempt to encourage children to
>think of their own adjectives, happy, sad, bouncing, pink or
>whatever and nothing to do with race awareness, of course nobody
>was interested in reporting that, it doesnt make "angry of
>Bogner's" blood boil or sell newspapers!

Well that's a different slant on things. I don't think I'm alone in
believing the Rainbow Sheep was meant to replace Black sheep though.

Ta for you comments.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Following up to W. D. Grey

>Well that's a different slant on things. I don't think I'm alone in
>believing the Rainbow Sheep was meant to replace Black sheep though.

maybe, or maybe the press made it up? They're scamps, them
journalists, you know.

>Ta for you comments.

at your service, sir.