Re: 5 more weeks till biking

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Roger Zoul, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    dgk wrote:
    :: I have made one (1) successful visit to the gym. They have TVs on the
    :: NorticTrak things now. Just bring your own headphones. That almost
    :: makes it usable. Still a waste of time compared to commuting by bike.
    :: The whole idea of moving your feet and ending up in the same spot is
    :: a bit odd. So is the concept of swimming back and forth in a pool.
    :: You end up the same place that you started! How absurd.

    Could it be that your attitude is a bit absurd? Some folks enjoy those
    activities (I admit it is hard to really enjoy riding a stationary, but the
    potential health benefits are decidedly not absurb.

    ::
    :: My pre-op physical showed an HDL of 61. That is about 20 points
    :: higher than when I started bike commuting. Stunning. It lowered my
    :: cornonary risk down to below normal from a previous high risk level.
    :: That can only be the biking. Only 5 more weeks.

    Good. Weight lifting and flax seed can help, too.

    Tags:

  2. dgk

    dgk Guest

    On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:26:28 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >dgk wrote:
    >:: I have made one (1) successful visit to the gym. They have TVs on the
    >:: NorticTrak things now. Just bring your own headphones. That almost
    >:: makes it usable. Still a waste of time compared to commuting by bike.
    >:: The whole idea of moving your feet and ending up in the same spot is
    >:: a bit odd. So is the concept of swimming back and forth in a pool.
    >:: You end up the same place that you started! How absurd.
    >
    >Could it be that your attitude is a bit absurd? Some folks enjoy those
    >activities (I admit it is hard to really enjoy riding a stationary, but the
    >potential health benefits are decidedly not absurb.

    Yes, that is why I belong to the gym. I just haven't used it much
    since I started commuting. I never enjoyed it very much but did manage
    to make it fairly regularly. Bike commuting serves the dual purpose of
    getting me to work and doing the daily exercise.

    >::
    >:: My pre-op physical showed an HDL of 61. That is about 20 points
    >:: higher than when I started bike commuting. Stunning. It lowered my
    >:: cornonary risk down to below normal from a previous high risk level.
    >:: That can only be the biking. Only 5 more weeks.
    >
    >Good. Weight lifting and flax seed can help, too.

    No weight lifting for many weeks. I suspect I have a few rounds of
    physical therapy before they let me loose on the weights. I could be
    wrong about this but I believe that weight lifting is not particularly
    good for HDL raising. I think aerobic exercise is recommended.

    I never really do free weights; mostly I do the machines They have
    replaced all the old machines with a new kind though. Much nicer but
    the computer tracking system is gone. I think it was a real problem to
    maintain so it looks like we're back to big index cards and
    clipboards. Seems like a step backwards.

  3. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    dgk <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:26:28 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>dgk wrote:
    >>:: I have made one (1) successful visit to the gym. They have TVs on
    >>:: the NorticTrak things now. Just bring your own headphones. That
    >>:: almost makes it usable. Still a waste of time compared to
    >>:: commuting by bike. The whole idea of moving your feet and ending
    >>:: up in the same spot is
    >>:: a bit odd. So is the concept of swimming back and forth in a pool.
    >>:: You end up the same place that you started! How absurd.
    >>
    >>Could it be that your attitude is a bit absurd? Some folks enjoy
    >>those activities (I admit it is hard to really enjoy riding a
    >>stationary, but the potential health benefits are decidedly not
    >>absurb.
    >>

    > Yes, that is why I belong to the gym. I just haven't used it much
    > since I started commuting. I never enjoyed it very much but did manage
    > to make it fairly regularly. Bike commuting serves the dual purpose of
    > getting me to work and doing the daily exercise.
    >
    >>::
    >>:: My pre-op physical showed an HDL of 61. That is about 20 points
    >>:: higher than when I started bike commuting. Stunning. It lowered my
    >>:: cornonary risk down to below normal from a previous high risk
    >>:: level. That can only be the biking. Only 5 more weeks.
    >>
    >>Good. Weight lifting and flax seed can help, too.

    > No weight lifting for many weeks. I suspect I have a few rounds of
    > physical therapy before they let me loose on the weights. I could be
    > wrong about this but I believe that weight lifting is not particularly
    > good for HDL raising. I think aerobic exercise is recommended.

    You're wrong about that. Both forms of exercise help HDL. I took mine from
    44 to 87.

    > I never really do free weights; mostly I do the machines They have
    > replaced all the old machines with a new kind though. Much nicer but
    > the computer tracking system is gone. I think it was a real problem to
    > maintain so it looks like we're back to big index cards and
    > clipboards. Seems like a step backwards.

    Well, machines work too. No excuses now, kiddo!