Re: 99% of cyclists do not like trolls

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ken M, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. Ken M

    Ken M Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > What is a Troll?
    >
    > An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the
    > Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset
    > people.
    >
    > Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for
    > their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are
    > hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite human
    > but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no sorrow
    > whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the suffering
    > they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it). At the
    > moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish.
    >
    > Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise).
    > You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or
    > compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel
    > remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules
    > of courtesy or social responsibility.
    >
    > Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is
    > something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can not
    > be changed by mere words.

    But trolls will always be around lurking somewhere in the background,
    hiding in some dark little corner of the net and in some dark little
    corner of whatever world they live in, many times they live only in the
    imaginary world that could only exist in their minds. Trolls are best
    left unfed and ignored.

    Ken
    --
    You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
    having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

    Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/