Re: A brake question regarding old equipment.

Zog The Undeniable

Guest
!Jones wrote:

> I'm restoring an old (early '80s) tandem. It is fitted with old-style
> cantilever brakes. Will the newer "V-brakes" fit those brazed
> fittings? I'm keeping the old Suntour stuff; however, those brakes
> aren't gonna cut muster, I fear. They're about 11 & 1/2 inches from
> the center of a 27" wheel... that's a tape measurement.

V-brakes fit standard cantilever posts. If you're using drop bars you
really need Dia-Compe 287V brake levers. Standard levers require the
pads to be very close to the rim and have an excessive mechanical
advantage (the effect is that the brakes feel mushy and the levers may
run out of travel).

Or, use Avid Shorty 6 series cantilevers. Cheap, effective, and they work
with road levers with no tweaks. Get the 6's, not the 4's, because the
stock pads are better.

Jeffrey

news:[email protected]...