Re: A couple of questions about cycling.

hippy

Guest
"Cheese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 1. Why do pro cyclists shave their legs?

PC's explanation sums it up: check google groups and you'll find stacks
of
reasons. Shaved looks nice but personally I can't be bothered.

> 2. Do you reccomend any good road bikes for under $1000AU

Second-hand or check out brands such as Avanti, Giant, Specialized.
I think Shogun are making some 'better' road bikes these days. Try
also Merida and Norco. You pretty much get what you pay for, but
there comes a point where the more you pay, the less you get. It's
the Law of Diminishing Returns.

> 3. My average speed is about 25km/h, how can I get it up to 40?

Move somewhere flat, with no traffic and no stop lights/signs and
ride with a tailwind :)
Or, train seriously for a few years (possibly many years).

> 4. What clothing/accessories do you reccomend using when cycling??

- Knicks if the distance is over 20k's for me.
- Jersey with pockets at back so I don't have to
carry food in backpack or saddle bag.
- Good lights for night riding.
- I like a speedo but it is certainly not necessary.
- Bottle cage/s and Bottles for longer rides are a must (I have a
serious
dehydration headache from Saturday! because I skimped on water)
- Spare tube/s, pump, tyre levers, etc stuffed into saddle bag.
- Clipless pedals are nice though not absolutely necessary (my mtb
has DMR V8 flat pedals which use sharp pins for grip - mind your
shins!).

Just have a think about what would make your rides "better" for
you and then see if there's a product that will do it for you. Then
justify the cost/benefit :)

hth
hippy