Re: A different look at the helmet debate: was cycling links -

Edward Dolan

Guest
"Chris B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:01:52 GMT, Chris "X-No-Archive: yes" Phillipo
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I know that one of the politicians is
>>quoted as saying he wants to get out and shake a person he sees riding
>>without a helmet, well I get that feeling too, only when I see someone
>>riding toward me on the wrong side of the road.

> So you are no longer "urked" when you see "soemone" riding without a
> helmet?
>
> Message ID: [email protected]
>
> --
> "Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
> victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under
> robber-barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber-
> baron's cruelty may at some point be satiated; but those who
> torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they
> do so with the approval of their own conscience."
>
> - C.S. Lewis

This is too good to let pass, even though it is being posted on multiple
newsgroups. I will eliminate all the other groups as I only post to ARBR.

I am a true fanatic. When I am convinced I am right about something, I would
enforce it on all others at the point of a gun if necessary. I am at one
with ****** and Stalin and all the other great tyrants of history. This is
why democracy is so very important. Even if I, the Great Ed Dolan, would be
a tyrant once convinced of my own rightness, I will not be able to impose my
will because there will be other competing interests and wills to combat
mine in a democracy.

Because human nature is so fearsome, it must be constrained. Democracy does
this best. There is no one who really harbors any doubt about his rightness
when he KNOWS he is right at which point he will become a tyrant at heart.
It is the Original Sin for sure and is connected closely with pride. The
fact is, I am a moral busybody and that is what would motivate me and make
me a hundred times more dangerous than anyone who is merely pursuing fame
and fortune. I want people to be good and I would kill them in order to make
them so. I am far more dangerous than a simple soul like a robber baron who
simply wants to enrich himself.

C.S Lewis has got it right. Liberals are just like me. They are moral
crusaders and so extremely dangerous. I fear the Muslims more than most of
you because I understand what they are about. The Taliban and I are kindred
spirits. We do not believe in live and let live. On the contrary, we believe
in live my way or die.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Would-Be Tyrant - Minnesota