Re: A different look at the helmet debate: was cycling links -

Dave Larrington

Guest
Jim wrote:

> There seems to be many assertions being made on what is probably
> anecdotal observations. I do agree that it is foolish to negate the
> benefits of a safety device, such as ABS. Risk homeostasis is an
> interesting concept. I'll have to spend more time thinking about it.

May I refer the Hon. Gentleman to "The Munich Taxicab Experiment" which is
not a Sherlock Holmes story but rather an analysis of accident rates
involving vehicles variously equipped with, an /not/ equipped with, ABS?

IIRC similar results have been found in studies in the USA and Norway.

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Jim wrote:
>
> > There seems to be many assertions being made on what is probably
> > anecdotal observations. I do agree that it is foolish to negate the
> > benefits of a safety device, such as ABS. Risk homeostasis is an
> > interesting concept. I'll have to spend more time thinking about it.

> May I refer the Hon. Gentleman to "The Munich Taxicab Experiment" which is
> not a Sherlock Holmes story but rather an analysis of accident rates
> involving vehicles variously equipped with, an /not/ equipped with, ABS?

> IIRC similar results have been found in studies in the USA and Norway.

To: JLB; Theo B.; Dave L; Peter C. - I've learned something. Risk
homeostasis seems to be a well thought out concept. I had a job in
the medical field and wrongly only considered the medical use of the
term homeostasis. I don't think I alter my behavior to such a degree
that it would negate safety improvements.
But, I still vote for voluntary helmet use with pedal cycles
Jim