Re: A Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by zuuum, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. zuuum

    zuuum Guest

    "zuuum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:...

    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>I saw this at Amazon:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/5jsqr
    >>
    >> Its an 8 1/2 quart saucier. 12 inches in diameter, 4 1/2 high. Thick
    >> anodized aluminum. 40 bucks.
    >>
    >> It looks like a good deal, but it is also a strange dimension. I'm not
    >> even sure what I would use it for, but I'm a sucker for a good bargain.

    Since Calphalon's Commercial Hard-Anodized is a discontinued line, you can
    expect good deals (clearance prices). I regularly do searches on cookware
    sites for "calphalon+commerical+hard-anodized" Usually a good value, but
    not necessarily the best cookware for every kitchen. "Commercial" is a
    relative term when it comes to equipment. Usually commercial means constant
    use, not just daily use. I am not sure I would expect Calphalon to hold up
    especially well if it were used all night, every night and subject to a
    dishwasher tossing them about. Maybe so.

    >> So what the heck is a "saucier" anyways? For making sauce? That's a LOT
    >> of sauce!

    > Saucier is a wide flat saucepan with straight sides. Faster
    > evaporation/reduction. Also good for reheating because of the wider
    > surface area for the volume. "A lot" of sauce depends on the cooking
    > operation.

    Tags:

  2. PENMART01

    PENMART01 Guest

    >"zuuum" wrote:
    >>
    >> <EskWIRED wrote:
    >>
    >>>I saw this at Amazon:
    >>>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/5jsqr
    >>>
    >>> Its an 8 1/2 quart saucier. 12 inches in diameter, 4 1/2 high. Thick
    >>> anodized aluminum. 40 bucks.
    >>>
    >>> It looks like a good deal, but it is also a strange dimension.

    I don't care what Calphalon calls it, it's not a "saucier", it's a *brazier*...
    very handy configuration.... large surface area allows for greater volume in a
    single layer and tall sides permit browning with less spattering. A saucier has
    rounded sloped sides. I call Calphalon garbage.

    ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
    *********
    Sheldon
    ````````````

  3. zuuum

    zuuum Guest

    "PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I don't care what Calphalon calls it, it's not a "saucier", it's a
    > *brazier*...
    > very handy configuration.... large surface area allows for greater volume
    > in a
    > single layer and tall sides permit browning with less spattering. A
    > saucier has
    > rounded sloped sides. I call Calphalon garbage.

    As usual, Sheldon, you are quite right. The description I posted was
    Calphalon's. The only braziers I have worked with are perhaps 20-inch
    diameter.

    Though I'd never suggest Calphalon CHA was worth their retail prices, I
    usually find clearance prices a fair deal - quite often $19.99 for
    meduim-sized home cookware pieces. What, in particular, do you think makes
    them worthless? Assuming you disregard their marketing claims and the
    "commercial" line name.

  4. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    zuuum wrote:
    > "zuuum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >><[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>I saw this at Amazon:
    >>>
    >>>http://tinyurl.com/5jsqr
    >>>
    >>>Its an 8 1/2 quart saucier. 12 inches in diameter, 4 1/2 high. Thick
    >>>anodized aluminum. 40 bucks.
    >>>
    >>>It looks like a good deal, but it is also a strange dimension. I'm not
    >>>even sure what I would use it for, but I'm a sucker for a good bargain.
    >>>

    > Since Calphalon's Commercial Hard-Anodized is a discontinued line, you can
    > expect good deals (clearance prices). I regularly do searches on cookware
    > sites for "calphalon+commerical+hard-anodized" Usually a good value, but
    > not necessarily the best cookware for every kitchen. "Commercial" is a
    > relative term when it comes to equipment. Usually commercial means constant
    > use, not just daily use. I am not sure I would expect Calphalon to hold up
    > especially well if it were used all night, every night and subject to a
    > dishwasher tossing them about. Maybe so.

    They will not stand up to even one washing in a dishwasher nor a
    cleaning with oven cleaner. They are otherwise pretty much indestructible.

    Bob

  5. zuuum

    zuuum Guest

    "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > zuuum wrote:

    >> Since Calphalon's Commercial Hard-Anodized is a discontinued line, you
    >> can expect good deals (clearance prices).
    >>

    > They will not stand up to even one washing in a dishwasher nor a cleaning
    > with oven cleaner. They are otherwise pretty much indestructible.
    >
    > Bob

    Thanks. That is good to know!

  6. In rec.food.cooking, PENMART01 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't care what Calphalon calls it, it's not a "saucier", it's a *brazier*...
    > very handy configuration.... large surface area allows for greater volume in a
    > single layer and tall sides permit browning with less spattering.

    Sounds handy.

    A saucier has
    > rounded sloped sides. I call Calphalon garbage.

    How bad can they be? All it is is aluminum with handles. And that
    line uses a finer finish on the aluminum than some of the other
    Calphalon I've seen. As someone else pointed out, calling it
    "Commercial" is a bit of a joke, but what's in a name?

    What's wrong with it for $40? Looks like a hell of a deal to me,
    especially if it's half as handy as people have been saying.

    --
    In the councils of government, we must guard against the
    acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought,