Re: A New York Story on the Half Shell

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by wff_ng_7, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. wff_ng_7

    wff_ng_7 Guest

    "Dancing Queen" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > that is a very sad story, and one repeated waaaaay to often around the
    > globw

    Oysters are essentially gone from the Chesapeake Bay, once perhaps the
    largest oyster source on the planet - the harvest is down to under 1% of
    historic levels, with a collapse about 20 years ago:

    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/infocus/112204hseason.html

    They are trying to do something about it, as discussed in the following
    link, but I don't hold too much hope for it:

    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/infocus/oysters.asp

    --
    ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

    Tags:

  2. Jude

    Jude Guest

    wff_ng_7 wrote:
    > "Dancing Queen" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > that is a very sad story, and one repeated waaaaay to often around the
    > > globw

    > Oysters are essentially gone from the Chesapeake Bay, once perhaps the
    > largest oyster source on the planet - the harvest is down to under 1% of
    > historic levels, with a collapse about 20 years ago:
    >
    > http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/infocus/112204hseason.html
    >
    > They are trying to do something about it, as discussed in the following
    > link, but I don't hold too much hope for it:
    >
    > http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/infocus/oysters.asp

    Here in the Hampton Roads, VA area, they are trying HARD to bring back
    oysters. The Lynnhaven Oyster Project is trying to repopulate the
    Lynnhaven Inlet in Virginia Beach, using artificial reefs. They have
    several schools supporting their efforts; students go out and check
    water conditions with their science classes. Eventually there's a hope
    that local native oysters can flourish once again.

    Look here:

    http://www.lynnhavenriver2007.org/

  3. wff_ng_7

    wff_ng_7 Guest

    "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Here in the Hampton Roads, VA area, they are trying HARD to bring back
    > oysters. The Lynnhaven Oyster Project is trying to repopulate the
    > Lynnhaven Inlet in Virginia Beach, using artificial reefs. They have
    > several schools supporting their efforts; students go out and check
    > water conditions with their science classes. Eventually there's a hope
    > that local native oysters can flourish once again.
    >
    > Look here:
    >
    > http://www.lynnhavenriver2007.org/

    There are some truly valiant efforts being made to bring back the native
    oyster, but I think it's basically a losing battle. Probably the biggest
    problem is the rampant suburbanization of the Chesapeake Bay watershed over
    the last 30-40 years. Many years ago the pollution problems were caused by
    point sources from industry and sewage treatment plants. Those were
    reasonably easy to fix. Now it's surface water runoff from farms, lawns,
    driveways, parking lots and roads. The dispersed nature of the pollution is
    very difficult to address. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of
    local governments, in addition to the state and federal governments that
    will have to come on board to fix the problem, and I don't see that
    happening. The watershed includes parts of NY, PA, WV, MD, DE, DC, and VA.
    It's hard to get a community that may be a couple hundred miles away from
    the actual bay (like upstate NY) to tackle issues such as land use planning
    that affect surface water runoff.

    --
    ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )