Re: A problem with gears.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Donny, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. Donny

    Donny Guest

    soup wrote:

    > [snippage]
    >
    > 4,000 miles and never a new chain/cassette, is the small cog worn at
    > all
    > (shark finning of the teeth) has the chain stretched? If either of
    > these
    > apply maybe it's time to think of new ones .

    The small cog definitely has some teeth that look more shark-finny than
    the others; I reckon I need to replace it.

    The two smallest cogs on the cassette are separate from the rest so
    hopefully I could just buy replacements for these?

    I guess I'll need a new chain as well?

    Cheers,
    Donny

    Tags:

  2. >The small cog definitely has some teeth that look more shark-finny than
    >the others; I reckon I need to replace it.
    >
    >The two smallest cogs on the cassette are separate from the rest so
    >hopefully I could just buy replacements for these?

    Hopefully you can and this might be your cheapest option but also
    consider changing the smallest sprocket size if it has more than 11
    teeth if you want to go abit faster. You might also want to consider a
    whole new cassette if this option isn't much dearer. You'll definitely
    need a new chain. I don't know what the current best value chain is
    for quality and competitive pricing but it probably won't be a shimano
    at least at the bottom end of the price scale.

  3. soup

    soup Guest

    Donny popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said
    > The small cog definitely has some teeth that look more shark-finny
    > than the others; I reckon I need to replace it.

    If only some teeth (on each cog) are affected
    perhaps they are meant to be that shape as an
    aid to shifting. Wear would show on ALL teeth
    (on one cog)

    --
    yours S

  4. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Donny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > soup wrote:
    > >
    > > [snippage]
    > >
    > > 4,000 miles and never a new chain/cassette, is the small cog worn at
    > > all
    > > (shark finning of the teeth) has the chain stretched? If either of
    > > these
    > > apply maybe it's time to think of new ones .

    > The small cog definitely has some teeth that look more shark-finny than
    > the others; I reckon I need to replace it.

    This is almost certainly how they're supposed to be - some of the teeth will
    be shaped to encourage easy gear shifting. Have a look at a new cassette
    before writing yours off.

    > The two smallest cogs on the cassette are separate from the rest so
    > hopefully I could just buy replacements for these?

    Not economically.

    > I guess I'll need a new chain as well?

    This is what should be driving your purchasing decision. If the chain is
    worn/knackered, you should replace it. If it's too far gone, you'll need a
    new cassette as well. But try a chain first.

    I'd recommend an SRAM chain - PC58 or PC59 depending on whether you're 9
    speed or not, and make sure you get the funny link with it. (and practice
    using it off the bike - there is a bit of a knack).

    cheers,
    clive

  5. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Donny wrote:
    > soup wrote:

    > The two smallest cogs on the cassette are separate from the rest so
    > hopefully I could just buy replacements for these?

    Theoretically, but I don't think you'll be able to get them easily or
    economically.

    > I guess I'll need a new chain as well?

    I'm certain you do. The question really is whether you also need a new
    cassette. If you just change the chain you'll know soon enough as it
    will skip worse than ever if the cassette is worn out. Are you happy
    about tackling these jobs yourself or do you need some advice?
    --
    Dave...

  6. Donny

    Donny Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:
    > Donny wrote:
    >
    >>I guess I'll need a new chain as well?

    > I'm certain you do. The question really is whether you also need a new
    > cassette. If you just change the chain you'll know soon enough as it
    > will skip worse than ever if the cassette is worn out. Are you happy
    > about tackling these jobs yourself or do you need some advice?

    I think I'll go for a new chain to start with then. What determines the
    type of chain to get, it is just the number of sprockets on the cassette?

    Cheers,
    Donny

  7. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Donny wrote:

    > I think I'll go for a new chain to start with then. What determines
    > the type of chain to get, it is just the number of sprockets on the
    > cassette?

    Basically, yes. Go for the lowest available number that fits. You
    cannot use a 7/8 speed chain on a 9 speed cassette, for example, but
    you can use a 9 speed chain on a 7 speed cassette. A 7/8 speed chain,
    however, would be slightly better.

    There's also a tremendous range of prices. I personally don't think
    there's an awful lot to be gained in spending £30 on a chain rather
    than £10. Sachs/SRAM chains are very good. These come with a special
    link that enables you to break and remake the chain without special
    tools, once you have the knack. You will, however, still need a chain
    link extractor when you first put the chain on if you need to remove
    any links, and of course to remove the old chain.

    --
    Dave...

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Donny wrote:
    > I think I'll go for a new chain to start with then. What determines
    > the type of chain to get, it is just the number of sprockets on the
    > cassette?

    It is really. Cassette manufacturers tell you to use only their make of
    chain but that's not essential in practice.

    SRAM chain is pretty good. PC41, PC48, PC58, PC68 suits 8-speed and
    7-speed; PC49 etc suits 9-speed. Make sure you get a "Powerlink"
    connecting link as they're not always supplied with the chains.

    ~PB