    Tags:

  2. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-04-23, Donga (aka Bruce)
    > Please give the source - preferably a web link.

    Wow, bratton has found the right buttons to push, hasn't he?

    Where's he getting the grammer tutoring?

    --
    TimC
    A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation. --unknown

  3. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:47:35 +0000, TimC wrote:

    > Where's he getting the grammer tutoring?

    ^^^^^^^
    Somebody other than your spelling coach?
    And why does this sig pop up when I'm *not* BLAMming?
    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    If you call blowing things up experiments, there were a lot of

  4. TimC wrote:
    > On 2006-04-23, Donga (aka Bruce)
    >> Please give the source - preferably a web link.

    > Wow, bratton has found the right buttons to push, hasn't he?
    >
    > Where's he getting the grammer tutoring?

    Not wanting to spoil the fun, but I found it quickly with Google...

    http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/roadsafety/papers/bicycle_helmet_legislation.html

  5. Peter Keller

    Peter Keller Guest

  6. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-04-24, Peter Keller (aka Bruce)
    > http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/roadsafety/papers/bicycle_helmet_legislation.html
    > Unfortunately
    > http://www.transport.wa.gov.au
    > seems to be down.
    > Is this coincidence?

    http://web.archive.org/web/20010218...safety/papers/bicycle_helmet_legislation.html

    although, no images.

    Two things I noticed that pull the true results either way:

    They note that this of course does not account for injuries that never
    reach hospital. One would expect, if you believe helmets do their
    job, that an injury before helmet laws resulting in hospital admission
    may merely result in a bump on the head post law.

    They also say "A strength of this study was that it was able to
    control for the downward trend in the proportion of all road users
    with head injury over the period.". Alas, from my reading, they do
    not cater for the possible decrease in overall number of cyclists that
    may or may not result from the legislation.

    It appears that number of hospitalised head injury cases went down
    marginally (OR=0.752 is not actually that shabby), but they don't
    appear to mention the numbers of cyclists. Did cyclist numbers also
    decrease by 0.752? If they did, there is an easy explanation of why
    the head injury numbers went down.

    Fortunately, the second argument was actually included in the
    discussion (not to that level though). Can't see the consequences of
    the first point mentioned, though.

    --
    TimC
    Keyboard Not Found: Press <F1> to Continue