"Dave Fawthrop" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:58:23 +0100, "Bob Hobden" <[email hidden]> wrote:
| Yes, I could take you to a field in Surrey overlooked by a big house
where
Quoted message said:| there are always signs warning of a Bull in the field, I have yet to see
it.
Quoted message said:| Could they be there to dissuade walkers from using the path in front of
the
Quoted message said:| house? Surely not. :-)
When faced with a notice about a Bull, I keep a close eye on the
underneath
Quoted message said:of the cows. ;-)
Dave F
It's not illegal to have non-dairy bulls in fields with paths crossing them.
The ones I've come across have shown absolutely no interest whasoever in me.
The real problem is with adolescent bullocks, who can be a _real_ menace,
dogs or no dogs.
In such a field near me there is a longhorn bull, but no sign warning about
it. OTOH on a walk on Saturday I passed two clearly long-standing "beware of
the bull" signs. One was at the entrance to a farmyard. So they have a bull
running loose in there do they? I think not. The other was at the entrance
to a field full of sheep. I don't think they have ever grazed cattle there.
What these signs mean is clearly "walkers are not welcome here". ISTR there
was a spate of them in the Lake District immediately after the FMD
restrictctions were lifted. Not many bulls on the fells...
Brian