Re: Another curiosity question

Brian Huntley

Guest
Tom Weaver wrote:
> While riding on Cape Cod this weekend, my co-star came up with an
> interesting (to me) question: Why do the front and rear shifters work
> opposite to each other? Further explanation. We both have Ultegra
> integrated shifters. On the right (front), clicking the larger shifter
> moves the chain to a larger ring closer to the frame. On the left
> (rear), clicking the larger lever moves the chain to a larger ring that
> is further from the frame.
>
> Why don't both larger levers move the chain the same direction?

Left is rear and right is front? That's odd. Even odder is that your
rear sprockets are larger further from the frame.

On traditional shifters like downtubes and bar ends, the left lever
controls the front derailer, and moving it 'up' move to a larger
ring/higher gear. Whereas with the right shifter, moving it up also
moves to a larger sprocket, but that makes for a lower gear.

We all need to convert to Rolholf 14s.

"Brian Huntley" wrote:

> Tom Weaver wrote:
>> While riding on Cape Cod this weekend, my co-star came up with an
>> interesting (to me) question: Why do the front and rear shifters work
>> opposite to each other? Further explanation. We both have Ultegra
>> integrated shifters. On the right (front), clicking the larger shifter
>> moves the chain to a larger ring closer to the frame. On the left
>> (rear), clicking the larger lever moves the chain to a larger ring that
>> is further from the frame.
>>
>> Why don't both larger levers move the chain the same direction?

> Left is rear and right is front? That's odd. Even odder is that your
> rear sprockets are larger further from the frame.

odd but not impossible:
http://venus.wsb-nlu.edu.pl/~lpason/uni/kaseta.jpg
:)

--
marcin
www.enduro.95mb.com

On 2005-06-06, Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:

> Marcin J. wrote:
>
>> odd but not impossible:
>> http://venus.wsb-nlu.edu.pl/~lpason/uni/kaseta.jpg
>> :)

> Or even:
>
> URL:http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/images/speedy/002front.jpg

^^^^^^^^^
"Legs" Larry Smith of the Bonzo Dog Band, perchance? :)

> On which, incidentally, the front shifter is controlled by the right hand...

I use one hand for both shift levers on all my bikes (downtube mounted
levers)...

--

John ([email protected])

John Thompson wrote:
> On 2005-06-06, Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Or even:
>>
>> URL:http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/images/speedy/002front.jpg

> ^^^^^^^^^
> "Legs" Larry Smith of the Bonzo Dog Band, perchance? :)

No relation, but back in the last century, the Bonzos often got played in
the motorcar on the way to races. Mr. P. Craig, Gentleman of Denmark Hill
and Sometime Passenger, tagged me thus and the rest is history.

Official: Living in a wardrobe can be injurious to one's health
<URL:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1567961,00.html>