Re: Another use for Ritalin

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Jan, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. Jan

    Jan Guest

    >From: nknisley [email protected]
    >Date: 12/19/2003 4:11 PM Central Standard Time

    <snip>

    >IIRC, a few months back, I had an exchange of posts with Jan on the
    >subject of ER visits for methylphenidate abuse after she posted a claim
    >that ER admissions for methylphenidate abuse was growing at an alarming
    >rate.

    >As I told Jan then, the US federal government tracks US "ED mentions"
    >through DAWN (Drug Abuse Warning Network). http://dawninfo.samhsa.gov/
    >

    >I gave Jan some of the info taken from the DAWN reports that indicated
    >that methylphenidate abuse was declining, not growing, but she didn't
    >seem to care that the DAWN figures contradicted her claim,

    ignoring them while she continued to claim that methylphenidate was extremely
    dangerous.

    Wrong.

    It wasn't *my* claim. It was this website.

    http://www.drug-rehabs.org/faqs/FAQ-ritalin.php

    Ritalin Addiction

    Ritalin addiction is a very serious and sometimes life threatening dilemma. Not
    only is it difficult for the addict, it is extremely hard on those around them
    who care about them. For the addict, admitting they have an addiction problem
    can be difficult. However painful this may be, it must be acknowledged as the
    first gradient to overcoming the problem. The next hurdle is being willing to
    seek & accept help from an addiction professional. It can be hard for an addict
    to confront the fact that they can not do it alone. Once this fact is accepted,
    it is time to seek the appropriate professional treatment. Drug rehab programs
    based on the social education modality are highly successful. This means that
    individuals who are recovering from Ritalin addiction are not made wrong for
    their past indiscretions, but are taught how to avoid future ones. They are
    provided with knowledge on how to change their lives and how to live
    comfortably without Ritalin. Receiving treatment for addiction should be done
    in a safe & stable environment that is conducive to addiction recovery.
    Research studies show that residential treatment programs of at least 3 months
    in duration have the best success rates. 3 months may seem like a long time,
    but one day in the life of an individual addicted to Ritalin can feel like an
    eternity. Addiction is a self imposed hellish slavery. The chains can be broken
    people do it everyday. You can be free!

    Drug rehabilitation is a multi-phase, multi-faceted, long term process.
    Detoxification is only the first step on the road of addiction treatment.
    Physical detoxification alone is not sufficient to change the patterns of a
    drug addict. Recovery from addiction involves an extended process which usually
    requires the help of drug addiction professionals. To make a successful
    recovery, the addict needs new tools in order to deal with situations and
    problems which arise. Factors such as encountering someone from their days of
    using, returning to the same environment and places, or even small things such
    as smells and objects trigger memories which can create psychological stress.
    This can hinder the addict's goal of complete recovery, thus not allowing the
    addict to permanently regain control of his or her life.

    Almost all addicts tell themselves in the beginning that they can conquer their
    addiction on their own without the help of outside resources. Unfortunately,
    this is not usually the case. When an addict makes an attempt at detoxification
    and to discontinue drug use without the aid of professional help, statistically
    the results do not last long. Research into the effects of long-term addiction
    has shown that substantial changes in the way the brain functions are present
    long after the addict has stopped using drugs. Realizing that a drug addict who
    wishes to recover from their addiction needs more than just strong will power
    is the key to a successful recovery. Battling not only cravings for their drug
    of choice, re-stimulation of their past and changes in the way their brain
    functions, it is no wonder that quitting drugs without professional help is an
    uphill battle.

    As an organization we are dedicated to finding the correct solution for your
    specific addiction problem. Our referral list contains over 3,000 resources
    which encompass the following treatment categories :

    Ritalin Detox Center
    Ritalin Rehab
    Ritalin Treatment
    Ritalin Addiction Treatment
    Ritalin Addiction Counseling
    Meetings
    Ritalin In-Patient Treatment
    Ritalin Out-Patient Treatment

    In 1990, 900,000 American kids were on Ritalin. Today some estimate the total
    number of children on Ritalin has increased to 4 - 5 million or more per year
    America now uses 90% of the world's Ritalin - more than five times the rest of
    the world combined.
    Emergency room visits by children ages 10-14 involving Ritalin intoxication
    have now reached the same level as those for cocaine which indicates escalating
    abuse of this highly addictive drug.
    80% of children on Ritalin are boys. Q) What is Ritalin?

    A) Ritalin (methylphenidate) is a central nervous system stimulant, similar to
    amphetamines in the nature and duration of its effects. It is believed that it
    works by activating the brain stem arousal system and cortex.
    Pharmacologically, it works on the neurotransmitter dopamine, and in that
    respect resembles the stimulant characteristics of cocaine. When taken in
    accordance with usual prescription instructions, it would be classified as
    having mild to moderate stimulant properties, but when snorted or injected it
    has a strong stimulant effect. Ritalin is manufactured by CIBA-Geigy
    Corporation, and is supplied in 5 mg., 10 mg., and 20 mg. tablets, and in a
    sustained release form, Ritalin SR as 20 mg. tablets. It is readily water
    soluble and is intended for oral use. It is a Schedule II Controlled Substance
    under both the federal and Indiana Controlled Substances Acts. Since Ritalin is
    a Schedule II Controlled Substance, the federal government strictly regulates
    the amount that may be manufactured, through a system of rigid manufacturing
    quotas.

    Q) How is Ritalin used?

    A) When abused, Ritalin tablets are taken orally, crushed and then snorted, or
    dissolved in water and "cooked" for intravenous injection.
    There are numerous reports in medical journals about permanent and irreversible
    lung tissue damage related to injection of crushed Ritalin tablets.

    In order to make the 5- to 20 mg. dose tablets large enough to handle easily,
    at least 100 mg. of "inert ingredients" are added to the tablets to increase
    their size. Depending upon size and formulation, the following inert
    ingredients are found in Ritalin tablets, according to the manufacturer:
    lactose, starch, polyethelene glycol, magnesium stearate, sucrose, talc,
    cellulose, mineral oil, and various dyes and conditioning agents. While these
    ingredients are "inert" when taken by mouth, they can cause serious problems
    when injected or snorted.

    Health Consequences of Intravenous and/or Injection Drug Use
    The hypodermic syringe was designed to deliver a concentrated dose of a drug
    quickly and efficiently. In doing so, it bypasses many of the body's natural
    defense mechanisms such as the skin, respiratory cilia, digestive acids, etc.
    The syringe allows anything in it (drugs, dust, bacteria, pollen, allergens,
    yeasts, viruses, fillers, etc.) to pass directly into the blood and body
    tissues. The rapid delivery of drugs via injection makes it difficult for the
    user to control the intensity of the drug effect, thus making toxic overdoses
    more likely.
    When drugs are prepared for injection by a street user, dust, dirt, and other
    contaminants fall into the liquid. Bacteria, talc, lint, and other particles
    are injected along with the drug. The "inert ingredients" that manufacturers
    include to increase the bulk may be harmless when taken by mouth, but talc,
    cellulose, mineral oil, and sugars (among other fillers) can create serious
    problems when injected directly into veins or body tissues. Complications from
    injection drug use include:
    drug overdoses and toxic overdose reactions
    blood clots from scar tissue, particles in the liquid, cotton and lint fibers,
    etc.
    infections ("blood poisoning," abscesses, hepatitis, AIDS, etc.)
    scars ("tracks" and adhesions)
    pulmonary problems ("addict's lung," embolisms, etc.)
    skin and circulatory problems

    Health consequences of Snorting Drugs (Intranasal Insufflation)
    The delicate epithelial tissues that line the nasal cavities and air passages
    may be damaged by direct contact with drugs. Ritalin tablets contain the
    hydrochloride salt of methylphenidate and yield dilute hydrochloric acid when
    they come into contact with moisture. While this is not a problem in the
    stomach (hydrochloric acid is one of the digestive acids used in the stomach),
    in the nasal passages the acid can "burn" the delicate nasal tissues, resulting
    in open sores, nose bleeds, and possibly in deterioration of the nasal
    cartilage. Q) What are the side effects of Ritalin?

    A) The side effects of Ritalin addiction include but are not limited to:

    drug addiction
    nervousness and insomnia
    loss of appetite
    nausea and vomiting
    dizziness
    headaches
    changes in heart rate and blood pressure (usually elevation of both, but
    occasionally depression)
    skin rashes and itching
    abdominal pain
    weight loss
    digestive problems
    toxic psychosis
    psychotic episodes
    severe depression upon withdrawal High doses of stimulants produce a
    predictable set of symptoms that include:

    loss of appetite (may cause serious malnutrition)
    tremors and muscle twitching
    fevers, convulsions, and headaches (may be severe)
    irregular heartbeat and respiration (may be profound and life threatening)
    anxiety, restlessness
    paranoia, hallucinations, and delusions
    excessive repetition of movements and meaningless tasks
    formicaton (sensation of bugs or worms crawling under the skin) While death due
    to non-medical use of Ritalin is not common, it has been known to occur.

    Q) What are the symptoms of Ritalin overdose?

    A) Symptoms of Ritalin overdose may include: Agitation, confusion, convulsions
    (may be followed by coma), delirium, dryness of mucous membranes, enlarging of
    the pupil of the eye, exaggerated feeling of elation, extremely elevated body
    temperature, flushing, hallucinations, headache, high blood pressure, irregular
    or rapid heartbeat, muscle twitching, sweating, tremors, vomiting.

    A growing number of youngsters taking the drug RitalinĀ® (methylphenidate)
    experience overdose, researchers report. The study looked at the frequency of
    Ritalin overdose cases reported to a regional poison control center in Detroit.
    Children ages 6 to 9 years were at the greatest risk of overdose, compared with
    other age groups. Over a two-year period, 289 cases were reported. Of these,
    31% developed symptoms. Most common adverse effects included tachycardia,
    agitation and lethargy. Most cases were due to parents or caregivers
    unintentionally giving patients excessive amounts of the drug.

    Jan

    Tags:

  2. "Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >From: nknisley [email protected]
    > >Date: 12/19/2003 4:11 PM Central Standard Time

    > <snip>
    >
    > >IIRC, a few months back, I had an exchange of posts with Jan on the
    > >subject of ER visits for methylphenidate abuse after she posted a claim
    > >that ER admissions for methylphenidate abuse was growing at an alarming
    > >rate.

    > >As I told Jan then, the US federal government tracks US "ED mentions"
    > >through DAWN (Drug Abuse Warning Network). http://dawninfo.samhsa.gov/
    > >

    > >I gave Jan some of the info taken from the DAWN reports that indicated
    > >that methylphenidate abuse was declining, not growing, but she didn't
    > >seem to care that the DAWN figures contradicted her claim,

    > ignoring them while she continued to claim that methylphenidate was

    extremely
    > dangerous.
    >
    > Wrong.
    >
    > It wasn't *my* claim. It was this website.
    >

    > http://www.drug-rehabs.org/faqs/FAQ-ritalin.php

    snip of repost....

    See, here is where Jan plays her little games. She posts something and when
    called on its contents, she denies that she endorses them.

    She utters her bilge using the words of others, and then denies it.

    She is a L I A R.

  3. David Wright

    David Wright Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Marciosos7 Probertiosos8 <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> >From: nknisley [email protected]
    >> >Date: 12/19/2003 4:11 PM Central Standard Time

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> >IIRC, a few months back, I had an exchange of posts with Jan on the
    >> >subject of ER visits for methylphenidate abuse after she posted a claim
    >> >that ER admissions for methylphenidate abuse was growing at an alarming
    >> >rate.

    >> >As I told Jan then, the US federal government tracks US "ED mentions"
    >> >through DAWN (Drug Abuse Warning Network). http://dawninfo.samhsa.gov/
    >> >

    >> >I gave Jan some of the info taken from the DAWN reports that indicated
    >> >that methylphenidate abuse was declining, not growing, but she didn't
    >> >seem to care that the DAWN figures contradicted her claim,
    >> >ignoring them while she continued to claim that methylphenidate was
    >> >extremely dangerous.

    >> Wrong.
    >>
    >> It wasn't *my* claim. It was this website.
    >>
    >> http://www.drug-rehabs.org/faqs/FAQ-ritalin.php

    >snip of repost....
    >
    >See, here is where Jan plays her little games. She posts something and when
    >called on its contents, she denies that she endorses them.
    >
    >She utters her bilge using the words of others, and then denies it.

    Even Scudamore isn't that low. What he posts is bilge, but he stands
    behind hit.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
    were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)