Re: any tips for buying a used bike?

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, jas0n
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Im bidding on a used bike on ebay, wont mention which one as dont want
> anyone else to nab it!
>
> Its close enough for me to collect if I get it ... other than getting
> on it and riding it around to make sure things work and the frame isnt
> cracked are there any other tips for checking it out as providing it
> is as described im obliged to pay for it even if it doesnt fit which
> it should do as ive checked the frame size, etc.

<URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?BuyingSecondhand>

I'm fed up with Life 1.0. I never liked it much and now it's getting
me down. I think I'll upgrade to MSLife 97 -- you know, the one that
comes in a flash new box and within weeks you're crawling with bugs.

"jas0n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> thanks for the tips ... im not much of a mechanically minded person but
> will do my best, only me to blame after all ;) ....
>
> ive never bought from ebay before .... its horrible waiting for an
> auction to end, wondering if someone is going to outbid you at the last,
> especially when the item appears to be just what your after and within
> collecting distance ... im definately the impulsive see it buy it type
> and not finding it fun watching the time tick down ... im going to bed!

I WON ... - yay!

collecting it tomorrow night and if its in condition the seller says it
is it should be fine. im told its only done a hundred or so miles due to
a job move and is in as new condition

its a Giant Explorer - before they added suspension and aluminium frame,
so its a steel frame hybrid, no suspension, with rear rack and dynamo
lights and 21 gears ... hopefully in a better range than my current 6!

.... all for the princely sum of £51 and a short ride out to collect.

Congratulations ;o) Lets hope its ok when you collect it.

--
Regards, Paul (R)
My Lake District walking site:

Paul Rose wrote:
> "jas0n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>thanks for the tips ... im not much of a mechanically minded person but
>>will do my best, only me to blame after all ;) ....
>>
>>ive never bought from ebay before .... its horrible waiting for an
>>auction to end, wondering if someone is going to outbid you at the last,
>>especially when the item appears to be just what your after and within
>>collecting distance ... im definately the impulsive see it buy it type
>>and not finding it fun watching the time tick down ... im going to bed!

> I WON ... - yay!
>
> collecting it tomorrow night and if its in condition the seller says it
> is it should be fine. im told its only done a hundred or so miles due to
> a job move and is in as new condition
>
> its a Giant Explorer - before they added suspension and aluminium frame,
> so its a steel frame hybrid, no suspension, with rear rack and dynamo
> lights and 21 gears ... hopefully in a better range than my current 6!
>
> ... all for the princely sum of £51 and a short ride out to collect.
>

> Congratulations ;o) Lets hope its ok when you collect it.
>
> --
> Regards, Paul (R)
> My Lake District walking site:
> www.lakelandwalker.co.uk

re loosing auctions, if I really want to win I use auctionsniper. Don;t
always win, but I only ever loose out because someone pays stupid money
for something (which seems to happen a lot on ebay these days).

www.auctionsniper.com

hth,

Tony B

> it was my first time buying anything from ebay ... I put in what I
> thought was a bid for £55 but that turned out to be my maximum bid and
> the computer bid just £51 - and if someone had bid £52 it would put in
> the next amount up until my maximum bid without further action from me.

yebbut, auctionsniper and similar only submit your bid n seconds before
the auction ends, therby giving others no chance to respond (hopefully)
- it costs a few pence per bid but it's worth it if you simply MUST win
the auction, the ebay proxy bid can spiral out of contrl once the great
unwashed see your hand...

hth,

Tony B

ps enjoy the bike BTW!!!

jas0n wrote:
> ... im
> looking forward to being able to get up a hill or two, granny ring or
> even granny's granny ring, i dont care, providing I dont get overtaken
> by someone walking past me! ;)

BTDTGTTS. But I did have two kids in the trailer plus shopping, I was in
34x34 or thereabouts and struggling to keep the front wheel on the
ground, and it wasn't a walker, it was a jogger. I could do 70km/h
coming down the hill unladen..

On another hill not far away from that one, I managed to bend the granny
ring in half.

...d

Tony B wrote:

> re loosing auctions, if I really want to win I use auctionsniper.
> Don;t always win, but I only ever loose out because someone pays
> stupid money for something (which seems to happen a lot on ebay these
> days).
>
> www.auctionsniper.com

This one's free: www.vrane.com/snp.html

~PB

jas0n wrote:
> its a Giant Explorer - before they added suspension and aluminium
> frame, so its a steel frame hybrid, no suspension, with rear rack and
> dynamo lights and 21 gears ... hopefully in a better range than my
> current 6!
>
> ... all for the princely sum of £51 and a short ride out to collect.

Well done. I bet it's better than one of those Sterling House jobs.

~PB