Re: Anybody Riding Swedesford Road (around Philly, Pa) every morning?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bruce Frech, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. Bruce Frech

    Bruce Frech Guest

    Pete,

    You could have seen me. I ride a Lightspeed (so it's not yellow) but I
    frequently wear bright jerseys, and lots of yellow including yellow shoes,
    medium dark but not black hair. I take Swedesford from rt 29 to
    Chesterbrook as the end of my 15 mile commute from the Exton/rt100 turnpike
    exit area, and typically at 8:20 to 8:30am. Most of the traffic on that
    road then is going the opposite direction towards Great Valley. I have a
    slight downhill for those 2 miles and usually am cruising at 25+mph and 20
    over the two small rises.

    I cannot speak for the drivers who cross the center line in blind
    situations. Clearly they are in the wrong and putting many parties at risk.
    But our society seems to accept that behavior. 30,000+ deaths a year in
    traffic accidents, around 700 of which are bicyclists. And yet I see cars
    cross the center line on average more then once a day. When cars pass me
    like that I always prepare to exit the roadway if needed, making note of my
    choices.
    When the road is too narrow for a car to pass then I let them know they
    should not pass.

    Are you saying I should not ride on the road? When we give up the road then
    we give up everything. The best way to makes the roads safer is to have
    more cyclists riding on them. Sure I would love for the bike path to be
    completed parallel to Swedesford Road but it's been too many years in
    discussion to have any hope in the near future. Perhaps you could join us
    in trying to get it completed. Here's some info on meetings in the near
    future

    ....planning meeting tomorrow night (7:00PM) at 5 Points Road & Paoli Pike
    for West Goshen Township.
    further meetings are; Westtown Township's meeting on October 6th & Thornbury
    Township the following week on the 13th

    Bruce

    Tags:

  2. RE/
    >Are you saying I should not ride on the road?

    Yes.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  3. RE/
    >Perhaps you could join us
    >in trying to get it completed.

    I've been taking the direct approach. Using a scythe, bow saw, and comealong,
    I've got it mown and cleared from Vanguard's Cedar Hollow gate ( towards 202
    near the radio tower) to Sym's. Between 1 and 2 miles....I keep meaning to
    check it on a ride, but always forget....

    Now I ride it frequently at lunch getting from Vanguard's 40 Liberty building to
    my home or other places in Paoli. My paranoia about traffic goes way, *way*
    beyond any normal persons...so this route is a significant plus for me.

    I'm working on the part from Sym's across the railroad bridge and hope to do the
    last leg from that office plaza along the quarry to the Duportail Road where it
    crosses 202.....If I don't wind up in jail first....but in this case I suspect
    forgiveness is easier to come by than permission. Once that's clear, I'll have
    a shot at Valley Forge park via the corporate plazas between that intersection
    and the service road across from the Chesterbrook shopping center.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  4. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    "Bruce Frech" <[email protected]_spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    news:34N3d.11437$%[email protected]
    > Pete,
    >
    > You could have seen me. I ride a Lightspeed (so it's not yellow) but I
    > frequently wear bright jerseys, and lots of yellow including yellow shoes,
    > medium dark but not black hair. I take Swedesford from rt 29 to
    > Chesterbrook as the end of my 15 mile commute from the Exton/rt100

    turnpike
    > exit area, and typically at 8:20 to 8:30am. Most of the traffic on that
    > road then is going the opposite direction towards Great Valley. I have a
    > slight downhill for those 2 miles and usually am cruising at 25+mph and 20
    > over the two small rises.
    >
    > I cannot speak for the drivers who cross the center line in blind
    > situations. Clearly they are in the wrong and putting many parties at

    risk.
    > But our society seems to accept that behavior. 30,000+ deaths a year in
    > traffic accidents, around 700 of which are bicyclists. And yet I see cars
    > cross the center line on average more then once a day. When cars pass me
    > like that I always prepare to exit the roadway if needed, making note of

    my
    > choices.
    > When the road is too narrow for a car to pass then I let them know they
    > should not pass.
    >
    > Are you saying I should not ride on the road? When we give up the road

    then
    > we give up everything. The best way to makes the roads safer is to have
    > more cyclists riding on them. Sure I would love for the bike path to be
    > completed parallel to Swedesford Road but it's been too many years in
    > discussion to have any hope in the near future. Perhaps you could join us
    > in trying to get it completed. Here's some info on meetings in the near
    > future
    >
    > ...planning meeting tomorrow night (7:00PM) at 5 Points Road & Paoli Pike
    > for West Goshen Township.
    > further meetings are; Westtown Township's meeting on October 6th &

    Thornbury
    > Township the following week on the 13th
    >
    > Bruce

    Oh fer cryin' out loud...I ride all around Philly, Bryn Mawr, Valley Forge,
    Wayne, Doylestown, Carversville, frequently alone, and but for all too
    frequent ignoramus and Septa bus drivers, I really don't have any problems.
    STAY ON THE ROADS....it's our last defense ;>

    Cat

  5. On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:11:09 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >RE/
    >>Are you saying I should not ride on the road?

    >Yes.

    That's wrong. That's bad.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  6. Chris B.

    Chris B. Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:11:09 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >RE/
    >>Are you saying I should not ride on the road?

    >Yes.

    Make sure you teach him a lesson there, Peat!

  7. DRS

    DRS Guest

    > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:11:09 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> RE/
    >>> Are you saying I should not ride on the road?

    >> Yes.

    > That's wrong. That's bad.

    It's also illegal where I am. Unless I'm with someone who's under twelve.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  8. Bruce Frech

    Bruce Frech Guest

    > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:11:09 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >RE/
    > >>Are you saying I should not ride on the road?

    > >Yes.

    > That's wrong. That's bad.
    >
    > JT

    I'm still riding on Swedesford. I rode there yesterday morning and am
    leaving soon to ride it today.

    Like I said before, the best way to improve riding safety is to increase the
    number of riders on the road.

    Bruce

  9. On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:10:45 GMT, "Bruce Frech"
    <[email protected]_spam_verizon.net> wrote:

    >"John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:11:09 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >RE/
    >> >
    >> >Yes.

    >> That's wrong. That's bad.
    >>
    >> JT

    >I'm still riding on Swedesford. I rode there yesterday morning and am
    >leaving soon to ride it today.
    >
    >Like I said before, the best way to improve riding safety is to increase the
    >number of riders on the road.

    Great. Just to be clear, I object strongly to Cresswell's
    suggestions.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  10. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > RE/
    > >Perhaps you could join us
    > >in trying to get it completed.

    > I've been taking the direct approach. Using a scythe, bow saw, and
    > comealong,
    > I've got it mown and cleared from Vanguard's Cedar Hollow gate ( towards 202
    > near the radio tower) to Sym's. Between 1 and 2 miles....I keep meaning to
    > check it on a ride, but always forget....
    >
    > Now I ride it frequently at lunch getting from Vanguard's 40 Liberty building
    > my home or other places in Paoli. My paranoia about traffic goes way, *way*
    > beyond any normal persons...so this route is a significant plus for me.
    >
    > I'm working on the part from Sym's across the railroad bridge and hope to do
    > the
    > last leg from that office plaza along the quarry to the Duportail Road where
    > it
    > crosses 202.....If I don't wind up in jail first....but in this case I
    > suspect
    > forgiveness is easier to come by than permission. Once that's clear, I'll
    > have
    > a shot at Valley Forge park via the corporate plazas between that
    > intersection
    > and the service road across from the Chesterbrook shopping center.

    Isn't there a paved bike path proposed along 202 from Norristown to the Exton
    Mall?

    Maybe you are getting a jump on the construction???

    Post if you get busted. I'll help with bail!

    HAND

  11. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > RE/
    >
    >>Are you saying I should not ride on the road?

    > Yes.

    Shame on you, then.

    Mark Janeba

  12. Bill Cotton

    Bill Cotton Guest

    "H. M. Leary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > RE/
    > > >Perhaps you could join us
    > > >in trying to get it completed.

    > > I've been taking the direct approach. Using a scythe, bow saw, and
    > > comealong,
    > > I've got it mown and cleared from Vanguard's Cedar Hollow gate ( towards

    202
    > > near the radio tower) to Sym's. Between 1 and 2 miles....I keep meaning

    > > check it on a ride, but always forget....
    > >
    > > Now I ride it frequently at lunch getting from Vanguard's 40 Liberty

    building
    > > my home or other places in Paoli. My paranoia about traffic goes way,

    *way*
    > > beyond any normal persons...so this route is a significant plus for me.
    > >
    > > I'm working on the part from Sym's across the railroad bridge and hope

    to do
    > > the
    > > last leg from that office plaza along the quarry to the Duportail Road

    where
    > > it
    > > crosses 202.....If I don't wind up in jail first....but in this case I
    > > suspect
    > > forgiveness is easier to come by than permission. Once that's clear,

    I'll
    > > have
    > > a shot at Valley Forge park via the corporate plazas between that
    > > intersection
    > > and the service road across from the Chesterbrook shopping center.

    > Isn't there a paved bike path proposed along 202 from Norristown to the

    Exton
    > Mall?

    Yes; http://www.chesco.org/ccparks/index.html and I have detail on my web
    pages http://www.billcotton.com/MY_rides.htm A live rail line bridge was re
    constructed to span a wider interchange recently, a abandon rail line that
    parallel the live line was also extended and designated a bicycle path. The
    paved path now ends at the Montgomery county line. but Chester county is
    working on their section, detail are at their web site above. For other
    trains in the Philly area.
    http://www.billcotton.com/philadelphia_area_bicycle_trails.htm
    --
    [email protected]
    www.billcotton.com

  13. > Oh fer cryin' out loud...I ride all around Philly, Bryn Mawr, Valley Forge,
    > Wayne, Doylestown, Carversville, frequently alone, and but for all too
    > frequent ignoramus and Septa bus drivers, I really don't have any problems.
    > STAY ON THE ROADS....it's our last defense ;>

    Like I said in a previous post, I believe that my paranoia about motor
    vehicles goes way, way beyond any normal person's.

    I don't tout my outlook as the Good-Right-And-Holy-Path....it just
    grew out of my own personality plus experience.

  14. RE/
    >>>Are you saying I should not ride on the road?

    >> Yes.

    >Shame on you, then.

    I think we're into context/semantics here.
    I interpreted " ...not ride on the road...."
    as "...not ride on *that particular* road..."

    I.e. The reply was intended to mean the road in question (Swedesford road) and
    not all roads generally.

    --
    PeteCresswell

  15. Chris B.

    Chris B. Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:18:23 GMT, "Bruce Frech"
    <[email protected]_spam_verizon.net> wrote:

    >Pete,
    >
    >You could have seen me. I ride a Lightspeed (so it's not yellow) but I
    >frequently wear bright jerseys, and lots of yellow including yellow shoes,
    >medium dark but not black hair. I take Swedesford from rt 29 to
    >Chesterbrook as the end of my 15 mile commute from the Exton/rt100 turnpike
    >exit area, and typically at 8:20 to 8:30am. Most of the traffic on that
    >road then is going the opposite direction towards Great Valley. I have a
    >slight downhill for those 2 miles and usually am cruising at 25+mph and 20
    >over the two small rises.
    >
    >I cannot speak for the drivers who cross the center line in blind
    >situations. Clearly they are in the wrong and putting many parties at risk.
    >But our society seems to accept that behavior. 30,000+ deaths a year in
    >traffic accidents, around 700 of which are bicyclists. And yet I see cars
    >cross the center line on average more then once a day. When cars pass me
    >like that I always prepare to exit the roadway if needed, making note of my
    >choices.
    >When the road is too narrow for a car to pass then I let them know they
    >should not pass.
    >
    >Are you saying I should not ride on the road? When we give up the road then
    >we give up everything. The best way to makes the roads safer is to have
    >more cyclists riding on them. Sure I would love for the bike path to be
    >completed parallel to Swedesford Road but it's been too many years in
    >discussion to have any hope in the near future. Perhaps you could join us
    >in trying to get it completed. Here's some info on meetings in the near
    >future
    >
    >...planning meeting tomorrow night (7:00PM) at 5 Points Road & Paoli Pike
    >for West Goshen Township.
    >further meetings are; Westtown Township's meeting on October 6th & Thornbury
    >Township the following week on the 13th

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part1/section-29.html

  16. RE/
    >>...planning meeting tomorrow night (7:00PM) at 5 Points Road & Paoli Pike
    >>for West Goshen Township.

    Is that Thursday, the 23rd?

    Any idea what the tradeoffs are for dirt vs blacktop?
    Seems like blacktop would be a *lot* more expensive, and if budget issues are
    there....
    --
    PeteCresswell

  17. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bill Cotton" <[email protected]> wrote:

    snip

    > > Isn't there a paved bike path proposed along 202 from Norristown to the

    > Exton
    > > Mall?

    > Yes; http://www.chesco.org/ccparks/index.html and I have detail on my web
    > pages http://www.billcotton.com/MY_rides.htm A live rail line bridge was re
    > constructed to span a wider interchange recently, a abandon rail line that
    > parallel the live line was also extended and designated a bicycle path. The
    > paved path now ends at the Montgomery county line. but Chester county is
    > working on their section, detail are at their web site above. For other
    > trains in the Philly area.
    > http://www.billcotton.com/philadelphia_area_bicycle_trails.htm

    Thank you Bill!...I should have known that you would have this info.

    Shame on me.

    HAND