Re: Anybody Riding Swedesford Road (around Philly, Pa) every morning?

Bruce Frech

Guest
Pete,

You could have seen me. I ride a Lightspeed (so it's not yellow) but I
frequently wear bright jerseys, and lots of yellow including yellow shoes,
medium dark but not black hair. I take Swedesford from rt 29 to
Chesterbrook as the end of my 15 mile commute from the Exton/rt100 turnpike
exit area, and typically at 8:20 to 8:30am. Most of the traffic on that
road then is going the opposite direction towards Great Valley. I have a
slight downhill for those 2 miles and usually am cruising at 25+mph and 20
over the two small rises.

I cannot speak for the drivers who cross the center line in blind
situations. Clearly they are in the wrong and putting many parties at risk.
But our society seems to accept that behavior. 30,000+ deaths a year in
traffic accidents, around 700 of which are bicyclists. And yet I see cars
cross the center line on average more then once a day. When cars pass me
like that I always prepare to exit the roadway if needed, making note of my
choices.
When the road is too narrow for a car to pass then I let them know they
should not pass.

Are you saying I should not ride on the road? When we give up the road then
we give up everything. The best way to makes the roads safer is to have
more cyclists riding on them. Sure I would love for the bike path to be
completed parallel to Swedesford Road but it's been too many years in
discussion to have any hope in the near future. Perhaps you could join us
in trying to get it completed. Here's some info on meetings in the near
future

....planning meeting tomorrow night (7:00PM) at 5 Points Road & Paoli Pike
for West Goshen Township.
further meetings are; Westtown Township's meeting on October 6th & Thornbury
Township the following week on the 13th

Bruce

RE/
>Are you saying I should not ride on the road?

Yes.
--
PeteCresswell

RE/
>Perhaps you could join us
>in trying to get it completed.

I've been taking the direct approach. Using a scythe, bow saw, and comealong,
I've got it mown and cleared from Vanguard's Cedar Hollow gate ( towards 202
near the radio tower) to Sym's. Between 1 and 2 miles....I keep meaning to
check it on a ride, but always forget....

Now I ride it frequently at lunch getting from Vanguard's 40 Liberty building to
my home or other places in Paoli. My paranoia about traffic goes way, *way*
beyond any normal persons...so this route is a significant plus for me.

I'm working on the part from Sym's across the railroad bridge and hope to do the
last leg from that office plaza along the quarry to the Duportail Road where it
crosses 202.....If I don't wind up in jail first....but in this case I suspect
forgiveness is easier to come by than permission. Once that's clear, I'll have
a shot at Valley Forge park via the corporate plazas between that intersection
and the service road across from the Chesterbrook shopping center.
--
PeteCresswell

"Bruce Frech" <bfrech@no_spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
> Pete,
>
> You could have seen me. I ride a Lightspeed (so it's not yellow) but I
> frequently wear bright jerseys, and lots of yellow including yellow shoes,
> medium dark but not black hair. I take Swedesford from rt 29 to
> Chesterbrook as the end of my 15 mile commute from the Exton/rt100

turnpike
> exit area, and typically at 8:20 to 8:30am. Most of the traffic on that
> road then is going the opposite direction towards Great Valley. I have a
> slight downhill for those 2 miles and usually am cruising at 25+mph and 20
> over the two small rises.
>
> I cannot speak for the drivers who cross the center line in blind
> situations. Clearly they are in the wrong and putting many parties at

risk.
> But our society seems to accept that behavior. 30,000+ deaths a year in
> traffic accidents, around 700 of which are bicyclists. And yet I see cars
> cross the center line on average more then once a day. When cars pass me
> like that I always prepare to exit the roadway if needed, making note of

my
> choices.
> When the road is too narrow for a car to pass then I let them know they
> should not pass.
>
> Are you saying I should not ride on the road? When we give up the road

then
> we give up everything. The best way to makes the roads safer is to have
> more cyclists riding on them. Sure I would love for the bike path to be
> completed parallel to Swedesford Road but it's been too many years in
> discussion to have any hope in the near future. Perhaps you could join us
> in trying to get it completed. Here's some info on meetings in the near
> future
>
> ...planning meeting tomorrow night (7:00PM) at 5 Points Road & Paoli Pike
> for West Goshen Township.
> further meetings are; Westtown Township's meeting on October 6th &

Thornbury
> Township the following week on the 13th
>
> Bruce

Oh fer cryin' out loud...I ride all around Philly, Bryn Mawr, Valley Forge,
Wayne, Doylestown, Carversville, frequently alone, and but for all too
frequent ignoramus and Septa bus drivers, I really don't have any problems.
STAY ON THE ROADS....it's our last defense ;>

Cat

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:11:09 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>RE/
>>Are you saying I should not ride on the road?

>Yes.

That's wrong. That's bad.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:11:09 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>RE/
>>Are you saying I should not ride on the road?

>Yes.

Make sure you teach him a lesson there, Peat!

news:[email protected]
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:11:09 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> RE/
>>> Are you saying I should not ride on the road?

>> Yes.

> That's wrong. That's bad.

It's also illegal where I am. Unless I'm with someone who's under twelve.

--

A: Top-posters.

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:11:09 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >RE/
> >>Are you saying I should not ride on the road?

> >Yes.

> That's wrong. That's bad.
>
> JT

I'm still riding on Swedesford. I rode there yesterday morning and am
leaving soon to ride it today.

Like I said before, the best way to improve riding safety is to increase the
number of riders on the road.

Bruce

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:10:45 GMT, "Bruce Frech"
<bfrech@no_spam_verizon.net> wrote:

>"John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:11:09 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >RE/
>> >
>> >Yes.

>> That's wrong. That's bad.
>>
>> JT

>I'm still riding on Swedesford. I rode there yesterday morning and am
>leaving soon to ride it today.
>
>Like I said before, the best way to improve riding safety is to increase the
>number of riders on the road.

Great. Just to be clear, I object strongly to Cresswell's
suggestions.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

In article <[email protected]>,
"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> RE/
> >Perhaps you could join us
> >in trying to get it completed.

> I've been taking the direct approach. Using a scythe, bow saw, and
> comealong,
> I've got it mown and cleared from Vanguard's Cedar Hollow gate ( towards 202
> near the radio tower) to Sym's. Between 1 and 2 miles....I keep meaning to
> check it on a ride, but always forget....
>
> Now I ride it frequently at lunch getting from Vanguard's 40 Liberty building
> my home or other places in Paoli. My paranoia about traffic goes way, *way*
> beyond any normal persons...so this route is a significant plus for me.
>
> I'm working on the part from Sym's across the railroad bridge and hope to do
> the
> last leg from that office plaza along the quarry to the Duportail Road where
> it
> crosses 202.....If I don't wind up in jail first....but in this case I
> suspect
> forgiveness is easier to come by than permission. Once that's clear, I'll
> have
> a shot at Valley Forge park via the corporate plazas between that
> intersection
> and the service road across from the Chesterbrook shopping center.

Isn't there a paved bike path proposed along 202 from Norristown to the Exton
Mall?

Maybe you are getting a jump on the construction???

Post if you get busted. I'll help with bail!

HAND

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> RE/
>
>>Are you saying I should not ride on the road?

> Yes.

Shame on you, then.

Mark Janeba

"H. M. Leary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > RE/
> > >Perhaps you could join us
> > >in trying to get it completed.

> > I've been taking the direct approach. Using a scythe, bow saw, and
> > comealong,
> > I've got it mown and cleared from Vanguard's Cedar Hollow gate ( towards

202
> > near the radio tower) to Sym's. Between 1 and 2 miles....I keep meaning

> > check it on a ride, but always forget....
> >
> > Now I ride it frequently at lunch getting from Vanguard's 40 Liberty

building
> > my home or other places in Paoli. My paranoia about traffic goes way,

*way*
> > beyond any normal persons...so this route is a significant plus for me.
> >
> > I'm working on the part from Sym's across the railroad bridge and hope

to do
> > the
> > last leg from that office plaza along the quarry to the Duportail Road

where
> > it
> > crosses 202.....If I don't wind up in jail first....but in this case I
> > suspect
> > forgiveness is easier to come by than permission. Once that's clear,

I'll
> > have
> > a shot at Valley Forge park via the corporate plazas between that
> > intersection
> > and the service road across from the Chesterbrook shopping center.

> Isn't there a paved bike path proposed along 202 from Norristown to the

Exton
> Mall?

Yes; http://www.chesco.org/ccparks/index.html and I have detail on my web
pages http://www.billcotton.com/MY_rides.htm A live rail line bridge was re
constructed to span a wider interchange recently, a abandon rail line that
parallel the live line was also extended and designated a bicycle path. The
paved path now ends at the Montgomery county line. but Chester county is
working on their section, detail are at their web site above. For other
trains in the Philly area.
http://www.billcotton.com/philadelphia_area_bicycle_trails.htm
--
[email protected]
www.billcotton.com

> Oh fer cryin' out loud...I ride all around Philly, Bryn Mawr, Valley Forge,
> Wayne, Doylestown, Carversville, frequently alone, and but for all too
> frequent ignoramus and Septa bus drivers, I really don't have any problems.
> STAY ON THE ROADS....it's our last defense ;>

Like I said in a previous post, I believe that my paranoia about motor
vehicles goes way, way beyond any normal person's.

I don't tout my outlook as the Good-Right-And-Holy-Path....it just
grew out of my own personality plus experience.

RE/
>>>Are you saying I should not ride on the road?

>> Yes.

>Shame on you, then.

I think we're into context/semantics here.
I interpreted " ...not ride on the road...."
as "...not ride on *that particular* road..."

I.e. The reply was intended to mean the road in question (Swedesford road) and
not all roads generally.

--
PeteCresswell

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:18:23 GMT, "Bruce Frech"

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part1/section-29.html

RE/
>>...planning meeting tomorrow night (7:00PM) at 5 Points Road & Paoli Pike
>>for West Goshen Township.

Is that Thursday, the 23rd?

Any idea what the tradeoffs are for dirt vs blacktop?
Seems like blacktop would be a *lot* more expensive, and if budget issues are
there....
--
PeteCresswell

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bill Cotton" <[email protected]> wrote:

snip

> > Isn't there a paved bike path proposed along 202 from Norristown to the

> Exton
> > Mall?

> Yes; http://www.chesco.org/ccparks/index.html and I have detail on my web
> pages http://www.billcotton.com/MY_rides.htm A live rail line bridge was re
> constructed to span a wider interchange recently, a abandon rail line that
> parallel the live line was also extended and designated a bicycle path. The
> paved path now ends at the Montgomery county line. but Chester county is
> working on their section, detail are at their web site above. For other
> trains in the Philly area.
> http://www.billcotton.com/philadelphia_area_bicycle_trails.htm

Thank you Bill!...I should have known that you would have this info.

Shame on me.

HAND