re:Anyone have a moist chocolate cake recipe?

Nexis

Guest
The Hershey's recipe for Black Magic cake is the moistest chocolate cake I've ever
had, with the possible exception of a flourless cake, which is not the same thing
IMO.

Google it, you won't be disappointed!!

kimberly

On Fri 31 Mar 2006 08:52:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nexis?

> The Hershey's recipe for Black Magic cake is the moistest chocolate cake
> I've ever had, with the possible exception of a flourless cake, which is
> not the same thing IMO.
>
> Google it, you won't be disappointed!!
>

> kimberly

Yes, the Black Magic cake is wonderful. I also like Hershey's recipe for
"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake, which is very moist. A search for
"chocolate cake" on Hershey's website list numerous variations on cakes made
the same way.

http://tinyurl.com/eewh7

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
4 heaped tablespoons cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
pinch of salt
1 cup water
1 cup mayonnaise (not to be confused with 'salad dressing!)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

In large mixing bowl sift together (or just mix well) dry ingredients.
Add wet ingredients. Mix until smooth (about 2 minutes).
Pour into greased and floured pan (8"x8", 9"x9", or tube pan.
Bake at 350F for 35-45 minutes. Use toothpick test.

I grabbed this off rec.food.cooking around 1992 years ago - mainly out
of curiosity that anyone would think to use mayo as a cake-making
ingredient. I have to tell you that the results are stunning - a very
moist, richy and chocolatey cake that everyone wants more of!

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:52:05 -0800, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The Hershey's recipe for Black Magic cake is the moistest chocolate cake I've ever
>had, with the possible exception of a flourless cake, which is not the same thing
>IMO.

This is a good one also..

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Black Magic Cake

cakes, chocolate, desserts

1 3/4 cup flour; unbleached, sifted
2 cup sugar
3/4 cup cocoa; baking
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 each eggs; large
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup coffee; black, strong
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
----HUNDRED DOLLAR FROSTING----
1/4 cup butter or regular margarine
3 oz semisweet chocolate; 3 blocks
1 each egg; large
2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup walnuts; chopped

Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking
powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil,
coffee, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat with an electric
mixer set at medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour batter
into greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Bake in
preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes or until the
cake tests done. Cool in pan on rack. Frost with
Hundred Dollar Frosting. Cut into squares. HUNDRED
DOLLAR FROSTING: Combine butter and semisweet
chocolate in a double boiler top. Place over hot
water, stirring until melted. Remove and cool well.
Add egg and stir vigorously. Stir in confectioners'
sugar, vanilla and lemon juice. Beat until smooth.
Stir in walnuts and frost cake with icing.

Yield: 16 servings

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

In article <[email protected]>,
Ward Abbott <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:52:05 -0800, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The Hershey's recipe for Black Magic cake is the moistest chocolate cake
> >I've ever
> >had, with the possible exception of a flourless cake, which is not the same
> >thing
> >IMO.

> This is a good one also..
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Black Magic Cake

Ward, that's almost identical to the Died-and-went-to-Heaven Chocolate
Cake that I posted here about 10 days ago. A good one!! I notice that
your recipe is baked in a 9x13 pan -- have you ever done it in a tube
pan/bundt pan?
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-30-2006 Enchiladas for Two

"LadyJane" <[email protected]> wrote

> Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

So funny, I just checked through the thread to see one thing ...
if anyone had mentioned the mayonnaise thing. Love that cake.

nancy

On 2006-04-01, Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ward, that's almost identical to the Died-and-went-to-Heaven Chocolate
> Cake......

Not to be a party ****, but any cake with 1/2 C of oil will be moist.
It'll be even more moist with 2/3 C.

nb

In article <[email protected]>,
notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2006-04-01, Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Ward, that's almost identical to the Died-and-went-to-Heaven Chocolate
> > Cake......

> Not to be a party ****, but any cake with 1/2 C of oil will be moist.
> It'll be even more moist with 2/3 C.
>
> nb

Right. Almost identical. Mine has 1/4 cup oil. :p
No prunes, either, to make up the difference.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-30-2006 Enchiladas for Two

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri 31 Mar 2006 08:52:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nexis?
>
>> The Hershey's recipe for Black Magic cake is the moistest chocolate cake
>> I've ever had, with the possible exception of a flourless cake, which is
>> not the same thing IMO.
>>
>> Google it, you won't be disappointed!!
>>

>> kimberly

> Yes, the Black Magic cake is wonderful. I also like Hershey's recipe for
> "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake, which is very moist. A search for
> "chocolate cake" on Hershey's website list numerous variations on cakes
> made
> the same way.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/eewh7
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

I second the "Perfectly Chocolate" chocolate cake thing. This is the best
chocolate cake on the planet. Sometimes you can find it printed on the back
of the Hershey's Cocoa can. And if you take the time to make the frosting
that is also on the can, you will have the closest thing to Heaven on Earth
there is.

Jean

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:52:05 -0800, Nexis wrote:

> The Hershey's recipe for Black Magic cake is the moistest chocolate cake I've ever
> had, with the possible exception of a flourless cake, which is not the same thing
> IMO.
>
> Google it, you won't be disappointed!!

Mmmm. Anything made with Hershey's will get my attention!

I saw a chocolate cake on FoodTV this morning (Quick Fix Meals with
Robin Miller) that I thought would be worth trying too.

Chocolate Cake
Copyright, 2005, Robin Miller, All rights reserved
See this recipe on air Friday Apr. 07 at 5:00 PM ET/PT.

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
User Rating: 4 Stars

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup boiling water
Confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and slowly whisk in wet
ingredients. Pour into greased 9 by 12-inch baking pan and bake for 25
minutes. Allow to cool.
Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve.

Episode#: RM0111
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

On Sat 01 Apr 2006 11:38:14a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
Goddess of Truth?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri 31 Mar 2006 08:52:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nexis?
>>
>>> The Hershey's recipe for Black Magic cake is the moistest chocolate
>>> cake I've ever had, with the possible exception of a flourless cake,
>>> which is not the same thing IMO.
>>>
>>> Google it, you won't be disappointed!!
>>>

>>> kimberly

>> Yes, the Black Magic cake is wonderful. I also like Hershey's recipe
>> for "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake, which is very moist. A
>> search for "chocolate cake" on Hershey's website list numerous
>> variations on cakes made the same way.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/eewh7
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬ _____________________

> I second the "Perfectly Chocolate" chocolate cake thing. This is the
> best chocolate cake on the planet. Sometimes you can find it printed on
> the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can. And if you take the time to make
> the frosting that is also on the can, you will have the closest thing to
> Heaven on Earth there is.
>
> Jean

Yes, the frosting recipe is wonderful! Before we both started Weight
Watchers, this cake and frosting was the standing request of my chocoholic
SO. I made it so often I had it memorized. :) I usually baked it as a
sheet cake, but for guests I made it as a layer cake.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

On Sat 01 Apr 2006 12:08:34p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?

> On 1 Apr 2006 06:35:49 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> http://tinyurl.com/eewh7

> thanks for the url, Wayne

My pleasure!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 12:38:14 -0600, "The Goddess of Truth"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I second the "Perfectly Chocolate" chocolate cake thing. This is the best
>chocolate cake on the planet. Sometimes you can find it printed on the back
>of the Hershey's Cocoa can. And if you take the time to make the frosting
>that is also on the can, you will have the closest thing to Heaven on Earth
>there is.

I took the recipe from their website. It includes info on baking in
various pan sizes which my current container doesn't have. Here 'tis:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :Hershey's
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup boiling water

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and
salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium
speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes
out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool
completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10
to 12 servings.

VARIATIONS:
ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to
350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool
completely. Frost.

THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans.
Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35
minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool
completely. Frost.

BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes;
remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.

CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake
cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to
25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.

Source:
"http://hersheyrecipes.hersheys.com/"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 314 Calories; 11g Fat (31.4%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 52g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
34mg Cholesterol; 418mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting

Recipe By :Hershey's
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 stick butter
2/3 cup cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk,
beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if
needed. Stir in vanilla.

Cuisine:
"American"
Source:
"http://hersheyrecipes.hersheys.com/"
Yield:
"2 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 201 Calories; 9g Fat (36.1%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
22mg Cholesterol; 83mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

On 1 Apr 2006 23:41:28 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

I'm not finding it, please post the recipe and release me from my
misery.

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 14:42:57 -0800, sf <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 1 Apr 2006 23:41:28 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

>I'm not finding it, please post the recipe and release me from my
>misery.

Look for my post. I included the frosting recipe, too.

Peace,
Carol

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 14:42:57 -0800, sf <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>On 1 Apr 2006 23:41:28 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

>>I'm not finding it, please post the recipe and release me from my
>>misery.

> Look for my post. I included the frosting recipe, too.
>
> Peace,
> Carol

Here are the recipes for the Black Magic Cake, along with the Perfectly Chocolate
Chocolate Cake & frosting. Note: the "Perfectly Chocolate" cake is the very same
recipe as Hershey's Deep Dark Chocolate Cake. I also included my recipe for frosting,
because I love it so :)
Black Magic Cake
Ingredients:

* 2 cups sugar
* 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
* 1 cup strong black coffee OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup
boiling water
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one
13x9x2-inch baking pan.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large
bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2
minutes (batter will be thin). Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or
until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from
pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost as desired. Yields 10 to 12 servings.

* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.

Kimberly's Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
6 oz softened cream cheese
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S Dutch Processed Cocoa
up to 1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat butter & cream cheese together until smooth and creamy. Add cocoa and beat again
til smooth. Add powdered sugar and 1/4 cup of the milk, along with the vanilla. Beat
until smooth. If needed, add remaining milk. Beat until creamy and lightened
slightly. (NOTE: Use the paddle attachment on your mixer for this).

HERSHEY'S "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" Chocolate Cake
Ingredients:

* 2 cups sugar
* 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup milk
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 cup boiling water
* "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING(recipe follows)

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large
bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir
in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with
"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10 to 12 servings.

"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to
spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.
About 2 cups frosting.

kimberly

On Sat 01 Apr 2006 09:07:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nexis?

> Here are the recipes for the Black Magic Cake, along with the Perfectly
> Chocolate Chocolate Cake & frosting. Note: the "Perfectly Chocolate"
> cake is the very same recipe as Hershey's Deep Dark Chocolate Cake. I
> also included my recipe for frosting, because I love it so :)

I love your frosting recipe. I won't be baking a cake for some time as I'm
still on WW and losing, but I will definitely make it for the next chocolate
cake.

I've made most of the chocolate cake recipes on Hershey's site and like them
all. I love the coffee in the Black Magic Cake.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

-
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

Hi Wayne,

When you have finally achieved goal weight - give this one a try! It
is an utterly scrumptious one!

Rich Chocolate Mousse Cake

200g dark cooking chocolate
150g butter
3 eggs, separated
1/3 cup rich, dark brown sugar
60ml Kahlua
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup rice flour

Line base and sides of a medium sized cake pan with baking parchment.
Melt butter and chocolate over water.
In a large bowl beat egg yolks and sugar until thick.
Stir in Kahlua.
Stir in the melted butter/chocolate.
Fold in the almond and rice flour.
Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
Add a little of the whites mixture to the batter to loosen the mixture.
Gently fold in remaining whites.
Bake in a slow/moderate oven for 55 minutes.
Test with a skewer for 'doneness'.
Allow cake to cool completely in the pan, still in the oven (with the
door ajar). This 'should' prevent the cake from falling.
Ice if you think it approriate, or simply dust with a combination of
good quality cocoa and confectioners sugar.