Re: Are cyclists allowed to race on public roads?

> So the fact that driving standards as genuine road safety issues fall
> by the wayside in a sole concentration on speed (when was the last
> time you saw a large scale TV advertising campaign for "Think Bike" or
> "Dip dont dazzle" or "Remember the green cross code" vs the last time
> you saw that bloody advert where the guy locks his front wheels and
> ploughs into the kid from 40mph

<url:http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/research/index.htm>

Have a looksie here.

dave wrote:

> Astonishingly most cyclista and motorcyclists know to within a cm how
> wide the vehicle is.. THe average car driver in Oz can probably tell
> within about 2 metres. I thought the Brits were better.. say within a
> metre.

I couldn't give you a numerical figure, but I could get it through a small
gap[1] at reasonable speed without hitting anything. A skill picked up from
living on a narrow road littered with badly parked vehicles on both sides.
I usually ended up turning late so as to improve the angle of approach in
order to allow my wehicle to fit (the most optimal approach is
perpendicular to a line drawn between the two closest points of the gap)
and usually got it to within about 4-6 inches either side (I aimed for 6 to
allow for some margin of error)

Tony Raven wrote:

> Lum wrote:
>>
>> If I was on a training ride then I would have chosen a route that did not
>> involve waiting for ages at a red light. You didn't want to be using that
>> bit of road if you didn't need to while those roadworks were there.

> So why were all those cars using the road then and why were they
> complaining about being held up by roadworks they knew were there?

It is the only sensible route to the M40 northbound. A road I would hope the
Cyclist was not taking!

There are some nearby towns but there is another road that goes through most
of them. It's not very efficient for getting to the M40 but I use it
whenever I'm going to any of the towns.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 May 2005 07:51:49 GMT, "Ian" wrote
> in message
>
>>The total road network is 392,321 Km of which motorways account for 3476
>>Km.
>>So far we have managed to find the number of pedestrians KSI on all roads
>>as
>>7933 and on motorways as about 250. This gives an overall rate of 1
>>pedestrian KSI per 49.45 Km on all roads and 1 per 13.9 Km on motorways.
>>So
>>they are less safe than the average per kilometre for pedestrians. All
>>figures taken from Department of Transport documents and the Scottish Road
>>Safety newsletter (for motorway KSI).

> There is a major problem with that: the severity ratio in pedestrians
> struck at motorway speeds is going to be high by comparison with that
> for urban roads.

True, but somewhere else in this thread someone thought that pedestrians
weren't a factor in the KSI figures for motorways. The figures show
otherwise.

>>So cyclists are not using the type of road most dangerous to pedestrians.

> True by that limited definition, but they are using the type of road
> on which most pedestrians are likely to be.
>
> I have hospital admissions figures over a number of years. Those
> struck by a motor vehicle are much more likely to have serious
> injuries. Motor traffic collisions account for 10% of child injuries
> but 50% of fatalities.
>
>>Motorways are considered the safest roads only because of the high volume
>>of
>>traffic they take when compared to the network as a whole. About 19% of
>>all
>>traffic in billion vehicle kilometres uses the relatively small motorway
>>network.

> Motorways are considered the safest roads primarily because there are
> very limited opportunities for conflict - no right turns, few
> junctions, segregated carriageways, wide lanes, long sightlines etc.
> I always think it remarkable that so many people manage to crash on
> them despite this!
>
>>Any other excuses for considering that cyclists aren't as dangerous as
>>they
>>really are?

> Hmmmm. Explain: why is it thought appropriate to mix cyclists and
> pedestrians on some footways?

Where that happens in my area the footway is either very wide and separate
lanes are painted to show where pedestrians and cyclists should travel, or
the footway is rarely used by pedestrians. It seems to be a new piece of
political correctness to encourage greater use of cycles, without
encouraging abeyance of the law.

How come the fatality rate for
> pedestrians on footways is 185:1 car:bike?

What we don't know is whether the car swerved on to the footway and hit a
pedestrian or was driving along it. In the case of a cycle it is most likely
they were cycling along it as so many do. I rarely see cars driving along
pavements, although cars legally cross them to enter adjacent properties and
could strike a pedestrian.

To what extent have you
> accounted for the documented fact that cyclists are least likely to be
> to blame in injury collisions?

Do you have official figures to support that statement?

In what proportion of the cyclist
> injuries you are counting was the cyclist to blame?

I wasn't counting injuries to cyclists, only injuries to pedestrians.

What of the
> documented fact that of all road users involved in fatal collisions,
> cyclist are least likely to be over the alcohol limit and pedestrians
> the most likely?

Do you have official figures to support that statement? Although I admit it
is probably correct and must affect the KSI rate for cars and other vehicles
too. Unfortunately the DFT figures don't say who was to blame for the
accidents; just the result in terms of human life.

> Still, it's a fascinating thesis: vehicles weighing of the order of
> 100kg loaded, travelling at speeds typically between 12mph and 20mph,
> whose operators stand a chance of serious injury in any collision,
> pose a bigger threat to pedestrians than vehicles weighing 1.5 tonnes
> and more laden, generally travelling at or above 30mph, whose
> operators are almost never injured when hitting a pedestrian. I'm
> struggling a bit with the physics of it, but look forward to seeing
> your argument develop.

I agree that on the face of it the heavier vehicle would be expected to do
the most damage, but the figures show that in terms of distance travelled a
cycle is more likely to kill or seriously injure compared to a light van and
nearly as likely as a car. The motorised vehicles are driven by people who
have passed a test and have a licence at risk if they cause an accident.
Cyclists are much more vulnerable but have not necessarily passed a test (I
passed the cycling proficiency test many years ago) and are unlikely to be
called to book for any misdemeanour. If that was not so it wouldn't be a
rare
event to see a cycle with lights on at night.

Ian

Not Responding wrote:

> Lum wrote:

>> I always try to drive with the effects of traffic flow in mind, the
>> theory being that if everyone did that then we would all get there much
>> more quickly and safely. I would not have chosen to cycle that section of
>> roadworks, I would probably have pushed my bike down the path (or grass
>> verge if the path was unavailable)

> What actually happened it that you chose to /drive/. That's what people
> do if cycling is made unpleasant and slow by an expectation to get off
> and push.

[This post does not make sense. I am assuming that the first sentence reads
"What actually happened is that you chose to drive"]

I am sorry, you are absolutely right, next time I will cycle from Aylesbury
to Rugby with a 4U fileserver strapped to my back instead of taking it in a
car.

Tony Raven wrote:

> Lum wrote:
>>
>> Traffic flow is an interesting beast. I am not claiming that anyone is
>> blameless but the cyclist being there at that time is what started the
>> chain of events that completely screwed up the traffic flow.
>>

> Seems to me that the numpties blocking the roundabout caused the problem
> along with the motorists behind the cyclist who all piled into the
> single lane section to avoid having to wait one more cycle of the lights.

Well I think most people expected the cyclist to go faster. He certainly had
all the gear on looked fit enough, and it was a pretty decent-looking
mountain bike with disc brakes of some sort.

>> I always try to drive with the effects of traffic flow in mind, the
>> theory being that if everyone did that then we would all get there much
>> more quickly and safely. I would not have chosen to cycle that section of
>> roadworks, I would probably have pushed my bike down the path (or grass
>> verge if the path was unavailable)

> And if it had been a tractor or a milk float? Or should everyone doff
> their cap to the superior motorists and get out of their way lest they
> are delayed a few minutes on their mission of national importance of
> getting to the next traffic queue a few seconds earlier?

TBH, a tractor or milk float could probably have gone faster than this guy.
I also refer you to my post above about this road being the main route to
the M40 northbound, with alternative routes available for most other
places.

Ian ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

>> Pedestrians ksi per 100m km by motor vehicles on all roads 1.6
>> Pedestrians ksi per 100m km on motorways 0.27
>> Pedestrians ksi per 100m km by motor vehicles on all roads except
>> motorways 1.91

> I don't understand what is '100m km' ? I am using billion vehicle
> kilometres, which is used by the Department of Transport. What are you
> using?

You're kidding... Please tell me you're not *really* that innumerate...?

100m km = 1.6ksi

x 10 gives you

1bn km = 16ksi

davek wrote:

> Lum wrote:
>> it's reasonably for car users to expect you to use them
>> rather than be in the roads.

> There's your basic misunderstanding.
>
> Since a cyclist has as much right to be on the main road as any car, it
> is up to the cyclist whether or not they choose to use the cycle path
> and the motorist has no "reasonable" expectation for them to do otherwise.
>
> Given the crapness of most cycle paths, I would usually choose the road.
> Where decent cycle paths exist, I might use them through choice - not
> for the convenience of motorists, but for my own convenience.

What ever happened to give and take? You get given a bit of the road
reserved especially for you and then use the other bits anyway.

Most motorists aren't going to know about cycle path quality issues
especially as they always look so well maintained and are covered in that
anti slip surface.

I think the best solution would be for motorists /and/ cyclists to campaign
against cycle paths as the current situation is clearly just breeding
resentment

davek wrote:

> I wrote:
>> Since a cyclist has as much right to be on the main road as any car, it
>> is up to the cyclist whether or not they choose to use the cycle path
>> and the motorist has no "reasonable" expectation for them to do
>> otherwise.

> Another way to look at it, if it helps:
>
> If your route from A to B by car offered the choice of motorway or minor
> country road, would it be reasonable to prevent you from using the
> latter just because the government has gone to great expense to provide
> you with an alternative?

We are not talking about separate routes, we are talking about reserved bits
of tarmac on the exact same route.

Tony Raven wrote:

> David Taylor wrote:
>>
>> The road was previously wide enough for two cars passing bikes to
>> pass each other safely. Now, there is a very narrow section with
>> just enough room to fit cars between the cycle lane and the middle of
>> the road.
>>

> Its part of the new traffic calming strategy of many councils of using
> cyclists as traffic calming measure in the hope that motorist will wait
> behind them rather than run them over.

I am reminded of "Operation Human Shield" from the South Park movie at this
point.

Tony Raven wrote:

> OTOH cycling in central London is now a delight and the parking is oh so
> easy if you have a London standard issue folding Brompton bicycle.

The few times I've driven into Central London it did not seem very pleasant
for bikes either, it was still completely jam packed with everyone
completely disregarding what lane they were supposed to be in, busses and
taxis ploughing their way through everything in their path, pedestrians in
the road, cyclists and taxis on the path.

Nuke the city from orbit and start again using a design based on a study of
what went wrong with Milton Keynes.

On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:14:15 GMT, "Ian" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> the severity ratio in pedestrians
>> struck at motorway speeds is going to be high by comparison with that
>> for urban roads.

>True, but somewhere else in this thread someone thought that pedestrians
>weren't a factor in the KSI figures for motorways. The figures show
>otherwise.

I know. The problem is much more complex than these simple statistics
will account for, I think.

>>>Any other excuses for considering that cyclists aren't as dangerous as
>>>they really are?

>> Hmmmm. Explain: why is it thought appropriate to mix cyclists and
>> pedestrians on some footways?

>Where that happens in my area the footway is either very wide and separate
>lanes are painted to show where pedestrians and cyclists should travel, or
>the footway is rarely used by pedestrians. It seems to be a new piece of
>political correctness to encourage greater use of cycles, without
>encouraging abeyance of the law.

I can show you a shared-use footway which is under 4ft wide and has no
segregation whatever. Several, in fact. Since it is also surfaced
with paviors and routinely ice-slick due to tree litter, needless to
say I avoid it like the plague. And get shouted at for my pains...

>>How come the fatality rate for
>> pedestrians on footways is 185:1 car:bike?

>What we don't know is whether the car swerved on to the footway and hit a
>pedestrian or was driving along it. In the case of a cycle it is most likely
>they were cycling along it as so many do. I rarely see cars driving along
>pavements, although cars legally cross them to enter adjacent properties and
>could strike a pedestrian.

I would suggest that in the majority of cases the car is out of
control. But that raises an interesting question: mile for mile,
which is more dangerous on the pavement? I have a pretty good idea...

> To what extent have you
>> accounted for the documented fact that cyclists are least likely to be
>> to blame in injury collisions?

>Do you have official figures to support that statement?

Three studies, but the cites are not to hand (note to self: add
non-helmet studies to web-accessible database). They were: a study of
cycle crashes on Oxford, a report by TRL, and a document from the
Metropolitan Police.

>>In what proportion of the cyclist
>> injuries you are counting was the cyclist to blame?

>I wasn't counting injuries to cyclists, only injuries to pedestrians.

I was unclear. In what proportion of the injuries caused by cyclists
was the ped to blame?

>> What of the
>> documented fact that of all road users involved in fatal collisions,
>> cyclist are least likely to be over the alcohol limit and pedestrians
>> the most likely?

>Do you have official figures to support that statement? Although I admit it
>is probably correct and must affect the KSI rate for cars and other vehicles
>too. Unfortunately the DFT figures don't say who was to blame for the
>accidents; just the result in terms of human life.

As I say, yes, but not with citations to hand. Actually I think at
least two are quoted in Bob Davis' book.

>> Still, it's a fascinating thesis: vehicles weighing of the order of
>> 100kg loaded, travelling at speeds typically between 12mph and 20mph,
>> whose operators stand a chance of serious injury in any collision,
>> pose a bigger threat to pedestrians than vehicles weighing 1.5 tonnes
>> and more laden, generally travelling at or above 30mph, whose
>> operators are almost never injured when hitting a pedestrian. I'm
>> struggling a bit with the physics of it, but look forward to seeing
>> your argument develop.

>I agree that on the face of it the heavier vehicle would be expected to do
>the most damage, but the figures show that in terms of distance travelled a
>cycle is more likely to kill or seriously injure compared to a light van and
>nearly as likely as a car.

Which suggests that perhaps your chosen measure of exposure is flawed,
in that it reverses the findings on the relative severity ratios taken
from hospital admissions data. If the figures for exposure were not
essentially speculative it would be a puzzling conundrum indeed, but
actually I think it is simply that the figures from the DfT stats are
too coarse to give a meaningful answer.

>The motorised vehicles are driven by people who
>have passed a test

So are most bikes.

>and have a licence at risk if they cause an accident.
>Cyclists are much more vulnerable but have not necessarily passed a test (I
>passed the cycling proficiency test many years ago) and are unlikely to be
>called to book for any misdemeanour.

So you say, but all the stats I've seen say that the cyclist is
actually *less* likely to be at fault when injured or killed, which
suggests that vulnerability, the self-preservation instinct, and the
massively lower kinetic energy, offset the lack of training and
accountability.

>If that was not so it wouldn't be a
>rare event to see a cycle with lights on at night.

So you say. Actually violations of the road vehicles lighting
regulations are common in car drivers as well. And I don't know of
any evidence that links light use to reduced injuries, though it may
exist (I hope so, given the fortunes I spend on lights!).

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

> I don't understand what is '100m km' ? I am using billion vehicle
> kilometres, which is used by the Department of Transport. What are you
> using?

100 million vehicle km, which also seems to be used by the DfT:
Figures used from this thread (KSIs) and (as hinted at in the last post):
<URL:http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_transstats/documents/page/df
t_transstats_031298.pdf>

I assumed that 100 million km is 100,000,000 km, and so in table (c) 1
"km" would be 100,000,000 and therefore 929 would be 92,900,000,000.

ksi figures were copied from a previous post in this thread, and were 7933
on all roads and 250 on motorways.

By "Pedestrians ksi per 100m km on motorways" I meant the amount of peds
killed or seriously injured per 100 million km of motorway driving (not the
amount killed per 100m km of motorways!).

Apols for any misunderstanding - since finishing my work I've not had any
reason to procrastinate so haven't devoted as much time to my usenet
postings.

On Thu, 26 May 2005 19:21:47 +0100, Lum <[email protected]>
wrote:

>What ever happened to give and take? You get given a bit of the road
>reserved especially for you and then use the other bits anyway.

Did anyone ask us if we wanted a "bicycle Bantustan?" No. The figures
show that such things are very often more dangerous than riding in the
main carriageway, and the main driver for their introduction has been
to get those pesky cyclists out of the way rather than to increase our
safety.

It's like pedestrian subways in 1960s New Towns. People hate them
because they are nasty, dangerous and full of broken glass.

LOL! Anti-slip my ****!

>I think the best solution would be for motorists /and/ cyclists to campaign
>against cycle paths as the current situation is clearly just breeding
>resentment

Correct.

Ian wrote:

> So cyclists are not using the type of road most dangerous to pedestrians.
> Motorways are considered the safest roads only because of the high volume of
> traffic they take when compared to the network as a whole. About 19% of all
> traffic in billion vehicle kilometres uses the relatively small motorway
> network.
>
> Any other excuses for considering that cyclists aren't as dangerous as they
> really are?

You are too hung up on vehicle_km/pedestrian fatality without
considering pedestrian population or distance walked. I expect that
taking this into account, the casualty rate for pedestrians on motorways
is very high.

It is easy to see that vehicle_km are not good indicators of anything.

The French break down casualty figures per department. Although they
don't give ped/cycle figures it is is possible to identify certain other
factors.

In 2001, 852 pedestrians were killed in total for 460,000,000
veh_km/fatal. The worst department was 86,000,000 veh_km/fatal, the best
was 1,000,000,000 veh_km/fatal (ignoring any department with 1 or 0
casualties). Now which department was the safest?

Actually not possible to tell. One thing that stands out is that
pedestrian casualties range very tightly between 15 to 20 fatals
/million population and have no connection whatsoever with vehicle
distance driven. It tells me that it is encounters that matter not distance.

The same is true for injury rates for all road users with between
2000-3000 injuries/m_pop in the main. It does rise in areas with higher
population density/sq_km.

The only apparent connection between casualties and veh_km is when
considering all road users; as people drive further, crashes become more
lethal and a clear increase in fatals/m_pop is seen. So Paris has one of
highest injury/m_pop, one the lowest veh_km/fatality but one of the
lowest fatality/m_pop.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote:

fancifully, you might think - that driving a car was "harmful" and "socially
exclusive": ]

>> ... "Socially exclusive" is perception. What if
>> the pros outweigh the cons? What if the cost of "subsidising" it
>> was less that the current cost of it? Should we, as tax payers,
>> cease to subsisdise anything which by some measures may be
>> interpreted as harmful or not completely socially inclusive?

[ ... ]

> Socially exclusive is provable. There is no possible doubt: the poor,
> the elderly, the disabled and the very young are most likely to be
> unable to access a car for their mobility needs.

And?

For all those groups the same applies - to various extents - to bicycles,
either on cost grounds (for "the poor" - WTMB) or (more particularly) on
health/ability grounds.

Perhaps cycling should be restricted as it is socially exclusive?