Re: Are there any high volume bike wheel builders left in the USA?

bfd

Guest
Jim Marriott <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BCA0CCA1.51DC%[email protected]>...
> Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
> mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?

Why do you need or want a "high volume" wheel builder? Do you think
these "high volume builders" would built a better wheel? maybe
cheaper?

Are there any LBS near you who built wheels? If so, use them. A good
shop that knows how to built wheels is a very valuable resource.

If not, you'll hear names like Joe Young, Dave Thomas (speeddream
wheels) and on this group, Peter Chisholm at www.vecchios.com and
Sheldon Brown (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels.html) are all
known for building excellent wheels.

Alternatively, if you're mechanically-inclined, buy "The Bicycle
Wheel" by Jobst Brandt (who also frequent this group) and learn how to
build wheels yourself.

Dear B.F.D. (and we know what that means...)

Yours is a rant, not an answer to a question. Ease off !! There are such
things as simple questions.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Paris FR

news:[email protected]...

"SMMB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Dear B.F.D. (and we know what that means...)
>
> Yours is a rant, not an answer to a question. Ease off !! There are such
> things as simple questions.
> --
> Bonne route,
>
> Sandy
> Paris FR
>
> "bfd" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
> news:[email protected]...
> > Jim Marriott <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:<BCA0CCA1.51DC%[email protected]>...
> > > Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
> > > mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?
> > >

> > Why do you need or want a "high volume" wheel builder? Do you think
> > these "high volume builders" would built a better wheel? maybe
> > cheaper?
> >
> > Are there any LBS near you who built wheels? If so, use them. A good
> > shop that knows how to built wheels is a very valuable resource.
> >
> > If not, you'll hear names like Joe Young, Dave Thomas (speeddream
> > wheels) and on this group, Peter Chisholm at www.vecchios.com and
> > Sheldon Brown (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels.html) are all
> > known for building excellent wheels.
> >
> > Alternatively, if you're mechanically-inclined, buy "The Bicycle
> > Wheel" by Jobst Brandt (who also frequent this group) and learn how to
> > build wheels yourself.

This is interesting. Sandy, a top poster, accuses me of making a
"rant" and not answering the question. Au contraire, but I believed I
*answered* the question.

First, I ask why did the OP need a "high volume" wheel builder? Was it
because such a builder would built a better wheel? Or maybe the OP
thought this "high volume" builder would be cheaper.

Second, I then provided names of several builders who arguably could
be consider *high volume*, which is undefined; yet had reputations for
building excellent wheels (which I presume is what the OP wants).

Finally, I stated that if the OP was mechanically-inclined, there was
an excellent book available that could be purchased. Where's the rant?

Smmb wrote:
> Dear B.F.D. (and we know what that means...)
> Yours is a rant, not an answer to a question. Ease off !! There are such
> things as simple questions.
> --
> Bonne route,
> Sandy Paris FR
> "bfd" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de : news:9411a749.040-
> [email protected]ews:9411a749.0404130849.121aafc7@po-
> sting.google.com...
> > Jim Marriott <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:<BCA0CCA1.51DC%[email protected]>...
> > > Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA?
> > > Road, mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair
> > > wheels?
> > >

> > Why do you need or want a "high volume" wheel builder? Do you think
> > these "high volume builders" would built a better wheel? maybe
> > cheaper?
> >
> > Are there any LBS near you who built wheels? If so, use them. A good
> > shop that knows how to built wheels is a very valuable resource.
> >
> > If not, you'll hear names like Joe Young, Dave Thomas (speeddream
> > wheels) and on this group, Peter Chisholm at www.vecchios.com and
> > Sheldon Brown (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels.htmlhttp://w-
> > ww.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels.html) are all known for building
> > excellent wheels.
> >
> > Alternatively, if you're mechanically-inclined, buy "The Bicycle
> > Wheel" by Jobst Brandt (who also frequent this group) and learn how to
> > build wheels yourself.

I'm with Sandy on this one. The obvious gushing and pushiness of
steering the original poster to do business with those socially
acceptable (anyone not high-volume) is really not warranted and not
aimed at helping the guy at all.

--

> First, I ask why did the OP need a "high volume" wheel builder? Was it
> because such a builder would built a better wheel? Or maybe the OP
> thought this "high volume" builder would be cheaper.

The OP asked about several types of wheels- road, mountain, kids,
wheelchair. He (she) did not specify *why* or *what quality*. Thus,
*I* pointed out that pre-assembled wheels are available from most any
distributor, and, by extension, any shop. I simply answered the
question, without questioning his (her) motives.

Jeff

Jeff Wills wrote:
> > First, I ask why did the OP need a "high volume" wheel builder? Was it
> > because such a builder would built a better wheel? Or maybe the OP
> > thought this "high volume" builder would be cheaper.
> >

> The OP asked about several types of wheels- road, mountain, kids,
> wheelchair. He (she) did not specify *why* or *what quality*. Thus, *I*
> pointed out that pre-assembled wheels are available from most any
> distributor, and, by extension, any shop. I simply answered the
> question, without questioning his (her) motives.
> Jeff

Jeff, you answered his questions without questioning his motives or
promoting options other than what he asked for. Bravo! But I don't think
Sandy or me, for that matter, were talking about you. Its was BFD and
the manner in which he tried to help others, not the OP.

--

On 13 Apr 2004 09:49:34 -0700, [email protected] (bfd) wrote:

>Why do you need or want a "high volume" wheel builder? Do you think
>these "high volume builders" would built a better wheel? maybe
>cheaper?

I saw a local bike shop owner that was low bidder on bicycle for
police dept building up the wheels. He got an unskilled worker to
lace the hubs into the rims and turn the nipples down to 1 thread
showing. Then the guy did the truing, tensioning and relieving. I
was impressed at how fast he could build a wheel. BUT, he was not a
machine.