Re: Asterisks

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter Clinch, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Ian Scott wrote:
    > Can someone please tell me why a lot of
    > people here tend to replace letters of the
    > alphabet with asterisks in such words as
    > "h*lm*ts" (helmets), "H*lfo***" (Halfords)
    > and so on.
    >
    > By doing this you are stopping my kill
    > filter from working. I have a kill-filter
    > on the word "helmets" as I don't want to
    > read about them, but the replacement of some
    > letters by asterisks mean they get through
    > anyway!

    Then you should've seen the whole thread dedicated to answering that
    very question, and of course going off on the usual mind-numbing
    tangents as well.

    It's a joke. Just as The Sun doesn't like to say Rude Words and adds in
    asterisks over vowels, so it's done here to make a joke that "helmet" is
    a bit of a rude word because it inspires so much boring text.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  2. davek

    davek Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > It's a joke. Just as The Sun doesn't like to say Rude Words and adds in
    > asterisks over vowels

    That's why I read the Guardian.

    d.

  3. Peter Clinch <[email protected]> writes:

    > It's a joke. Just as The Sun doesn't like to say Rude Words and adds
    > in asterisks over vowels, so it's done here to make a joke that
    > "helmet" is a bit of a rude word because it inspires so much boring
    > text.

    Seen on Page 3: the word "t*ts"

  4. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It's a joke. Just as The Sun doesn't like to say Rude Words and adds in
    > asterisks over vowels, so it's done here to make a joke that "helmet" is
    > a bit of a rude word because it inspires so much boring text.

    On teh aquaria groups it has been traditional to refer to a pl*c or
    pl*co when posting about a plec (short for plecostomus - a sort of
    sucker-mouth catfish popular for the reason taht it eats algae growing
    on teh fishtank glass, thus assisting in keeping it clean). This is
    because they are hardy and long-lived, but the one sure way of causing
    one to sicken and die is to name it on usenet.

    My pl*cs never wear helmets (see - it is on topic).

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  5. Ian Smith wrote:

    > On teh aquaria groups it has been traditional to refer to a pl*c or
    > pl*co when posting about a plec (short for plecostomus - a sort of
    > sucker-mouth catfish popular for the reason taht it eats algae growing
    > on teh fishtank glass, thus assisting in keeping it clean). This is
    > because they are hardy and long-lived, but the one sure way of causing
    > one to sicken and die is to name it on usenet.

    So, a bit like p+nct+r+ then...

    --

    Dave Larrington
    Using + coz * Does Things with OE-Quotefix

  6. Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > It's a joke. Just as The Sun doesn't like to say Rude Words and adds in
    > asterisks over vowels, so it's done here to make a joke that "helmet" is
    > a bit of a rude word because it inspires so much boring text.

    Well, it wouldn't do to print rude words in The Sun. Might lower the
    tone, y'know ;-)

    David E. Belcher

  7. Ian Smith wrote:

    > On teh aquaria groups it has been traditional to refer to a pl*c or
    > pl*co when posting about a plec (short for plecostomus - a sort of
    > sucker-mouth catfish popular for the reason taht it eats algae growing
    > on teh fishtank glass, thus assisting in keeping it clean). This is
    > because they are hardy and long-lived, but the one sure way of causing
    > one to sicken and die is to name it on usenet.

    On Slashdot and elsewhere, <ahem> "adult content" is generally referred
    to as pr0n. It's a weird combination of l33t-speak [1] and rude-word
    filter evading.

    [1] http://www.solcon.nl/mwijers/l33t.htm (I know the guy who originally
    coded this, but it's since been mirrored all over the net).
    Incidentally "teh" is l33t-speak...