HP said:I was in a LBS today buying some parts, and had the chance to browse
through the bike section. This shop carries mainly Specialized Allez
for their road bikes. On many of them, including the "high-end"
models, the bikes have these funky auxiliary brake levers that
attached close to the stem, inline with the levers on the drops. It
looks really odd on a road bike, and reminds me of the brake
extension levers on cheap 80's bikes. I am a little surprised to see
it on even the high-end models. Am curious if these levers are
actual part of the gruppo, or something that's added on for those who
preferred riding on the tops.HP
I believe the top-mount brake levers are a standard feature on some models
of the Specialized and Trek lines. There may be other brands that have them
too.
While I don't have them, my wife does on her road bike and she thinks very
highly of top-mounted brakes. She rides on the tops of the bars mostly and
the brake location makes it very easy to reach the brakes when needed.
Top-mounted brakes are not at all like the 'old' aux brakes that you
mentioned. With the new style there is no difference in the braking effort
between the top-mounts and standard levers, plus there is none of the loose
'slop' like the old style levers.
Funky to some, practical to others.