Re: "Auxiliary" brake levers

Dave Thompson

Guest
HP wrote:
> I was in a LBS today buying some parts, and had the chance to browse
> through the bike section. This shop carries mainly Specialized Allez
> for their road bikes. On many of them, including the "high-end"
> models, the bikes have these funky auxiliary brake levers that
> attached close to the stem, inline with the levers on the drops. It
> looks really odd on a road bike, and reminds me of the brake
> extension levers on cheap 80's bikes. I am a little surprised to see
> it on even the high-end models. Am curious if these levers are
> actual part of the gruppo, or something that's added on for those who
> preferred riding on the tops.
>
> HP

I believe the top-mount brake levers are a standard feature on some models
of the Specialized and Trek lines. There may be other brands that have them
too.

While I don't have them, my wife does on her road bike and she thinks very
highly of top-mounted brakes. She rides on the tops of the bars mostly and
the brake location makes it very easy to reach the brakes when needed.
Top-mounted brakes are not at all like the 'old' aux brakes that you
mentioned. With the new style there is no difference in the braking effort
between the top-mounts and standard levers, plus there is none of the loose
'slop' like the old style levers.

Funky to some, practical to others.