Re: Baby's foreskin won't retract?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Peter Moran, Apr 5, 2004.

  1. Peter Moran

    Peter Moran Guest

    "Todd Gastaldo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > BABY'S FORESKIN WON'T RETRACT?
    >
    > Some foreskins don't fully retract until age 17!

    All mothers and fathers should know that the healthy foreskin will often not
    retract until the age of three or more and that attempts to force it back
    can be damaging. If it is not retracting after that age and seems tight,
    the application of some cortisone cream for a a month or two very often
    helps. If the foreskin will not retract until the teens, there are likely
    to be problems from phimosis (a too tight or non-retractable foreskin) or
    paraphimosis (foreskin stuck in the retracted position) and consderable
    sexual problems.

    I don't want to get into the circumcision debate except to say that if it is
    going to be done as a routine it is best performed without anaesthetic at
    about a week of age. Disress to the baby is minimal then (from
    considerable experience) and the last thing the baby needs is to add the
    risks of anaeshesic to the risks that attach to circumcision itself.

    Peter Moran

    Tags:

  2. "Peter Moran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]rks.com.au...

    > I don't want to get into the circumcision debate except to say that if it

    is
    > going to be done as a routine it is best performed without anaesthetic at
    > about a week of age.

    yanking off part of their penis is "ok" WITHOUT anesthetic?!!
    (what- since they can't tell you how painful it actually is ...it must be
    "OK" to do it that way?) :-o

  3. Peter Moran

    Peter Moran Guest

    "Little Giraffe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Peter Moran" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:[email protected]rks.com.au...

    > > I don't want to get into the circumcision debate except to say that if

    it
    > is
    > > going to be done as a routine it is best performed without anaesthetic

    at
    > > about a week of age.

    > yanking off part of their penis is "ok" WITHOUT anesthetic?!!
    > (what- since they can't tell you how painful it actually is ...it must be
    > "OK" to do it that way?) :-o

    Babies cry when in pain. Have you not noticed? Circumcision at one week
    of age is attended by minimal fuss. The baby is back to sleep in thirty
    seconds or less. Do it in a two month old baby and it is a very different
    matter.

    And I said IF it is to be done as a routine. I am not advocating it.

    Peter Moran