Re: basic rbt access question - need free Usenet news server

Camilo

Guest
On Apr 3, 4:59 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I would like to read and post to rbt. I have comcast at home, so I
> could use their news server from home, with whatever news reader. But
> I would also like to use a free news server at work. I can't find a
> free text-only news server. Is there a news server I have missed?
>
> TIA - J.

You can use groups.google.com - that's what I use. I used a
newsserver with a reader program for years, but circumstances ended
that for a while a year or two ago, and I started using google because
I had no choice at the time. After I got used to it, I like it OK. I
noticed recently that my newsserver will allow me access again
(configuration issue with ISP which they solved), so I may go back to
using it, but I'm used to Google now and it's accessable anywhere you
have web access. FWIW.

On Apr 3, 8:10 pm, "Camilo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 3, 4:59 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I would like to read and post to rbt. I have comcast at home, so I
> > could use their news server from home, with whatever news reader. But
> > I would also like to use a free news server at work. I can't find a
> > free text-only news server. Is there a news server I have missed?

> > TIA - J.

> You can use groups.google.com - that's what I use. I used a
> newsserver with a reader program for years, but circumstances ended
> that for a while a year or two ago, and I started using google because
> I had no choice at the time. After I got used to it, I like it OK. I
> noticed recently that my newsserver will allow me access again
> (configuration issue with ISP which they solved), so I may go back to
> using it, but I'm used to Google now and it's accessable anywhere you
> have web access. FWIW.

Yes, I think I will give google another try. It is a good fit for me
because I have a gmail acct. I also found cyclingforums.com, but as I
write this, it only shows one reply to my post, while google groups
shows all three replies. I use my gmail acct mostly as a spam trap,
anyway.

In the past, I used a news server located in Germany, but it is not
free anymore.

Thanks to all for the replies - J.