General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Basil-tomato paste BBQ sauce

Started by Melba's Jammin' · · Last activity · 1 post · 320 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 May 2005
Last activity
8 May 2005
Original author
Melba's Jammin'
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
320
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>, "Nobody"

    Quoted message said:

    My mom, God rest her soul, used to make a barbecue sauce that had
    tomato paste, dried basil, onions, brown sugar, and probably a couple
    of other ingredients. She used it on chicken and ribs.

    I lost the recipe, but I think I remember enough of it to recreate
    it. I was wondering, though, whether it rings a bell for anyone else.
    Mom probably got it from a magazine such as Sunset, so I would bet
    it's "out there" somewhere. Any help would be appreciated.

    This doesn't have basil, but it's good - from my brother Pete. I
    haven't made it in years - don't know if the hickory-smoked salt and
    charcoal seasoning are still around. FWIW.

    * Exported from MasterCook Mac *

    Pete's Double-Triple Hickory Barbecue Sauce

    Recipe By : Pete - 1977 (might be a BH&G recipe)
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :1:00
    Categories : Sauces

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 cup butter, margarine, or vegetable oil
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1 clove garlic -- crushed
    28 ounces canned tomatoes -- broken up
    6 ounces canned tomato paste
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup dark molasses
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon hickory-smoked salt
    1/2 teaspoon charcoal seasoning (optional)
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 bay leaf
    3 drops hot pepper sauce

    In a large saucepan, heat butter until hot. Add onion and garlic; sauté
    5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

    Stir ni remaining ingredients and bring mixture to boil. reduce het and
    simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Strain.

    If not using immediately, store sauce in a covered jar in refrigerator.
    It will keep well for 2-3 weeks.

    Makes about 4 cups.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Per serving (excluding unknown items): 49 Calories; less than one gram
    Fat (6% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 0mg
    Cholesterol; 280mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

    Serving Ideas : Pete says "use with spareribs, chicken & barbecued
    beef."

    NOTES : Pete's notes include this: Sauce may be frozen. And, "Barb, I
    always make a double batch of tis and freeze wat I don't get conned into
    giving away."

    _____
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am! 5/3/05

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.