Re: Bell/Horn safer or hazard?

fe

Guest
Bell is safer that someone shouting "WATCH YOUR LEFT" (STUPID)
Experience riders will never put a stinking bell on the bike, it is too
girly-man (not-matcho)
But Great for kids!

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My kids ride in residential streets or in bike lanes in an area where
> pedestrians walk on the sidewalks and bikes stay on the asphalt.
>
> The Rules for Bike Safety listed in my son's Cub Scout handbook say that

he must
> have a bell or a horn on his bike. Local law does not require them.
>
> I was taught that such things are more of a hazard than a help, at least

to a
> relatively inexperienced child, because he is likely to waste time

reaching for
> the bell when he should be hitting the brakes.
>
> Keep in mind that this is a kid on a 1-speed bike with hand brakes who

rarely
> gets above 10mph. Neither weight nor dorkiness are issues.
>
> I'm considering telling him that having the card in his spokes to make

that cool
> motorcycle sound takes the place of a bell or horn.
>
> Is there a consensus among experienced riders about the value of bells or

horns
> when riding under these conditions?
>
> Thanks
>

>>On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:05:19 -0600, "fe" <[email protected]> claims:
>>
>>>Bell is safer that someone shouting "WATCH YOUR LEFT" (STUPID)

I have an "incredibell" (sp?) on my handlebar that goes ding ding.
Pedestrians seem to like the ding ding and usually move to the right side.
Horns would be rude but a nice ding ding is a non-hostile announcement. I
then say 'on your left' and 'good day.'

On the road when somebody drives by me with their horn blasting, I go ding
ding as well, but (a) don't say 'good day' and (b) assume they don't hear
me. I don't know why this keeps me calm, but it does.

Alan Acock

>>On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:05:19 -0600, "fe" <[email protected]> claims:
>>
>>>Bell is safer that someone shouting "WATCH YOUR LEFT" (STUPID)

I have an "incredibell" (sp?) on my handlebar that goes ding ding.
Pedestrians seem to like the ding ding and usually move to the right side.
Horns would be rude but a nice ding ding is a non-hostile announcement. I
then say 'on your left' and 'good day.'

On the road when somebody drives by me with their horn blasting, I go ding
ding as well, but (a) don't say 'good day' and (b) assume they don't hear
me. I don't know why this keeps me calm, but it does.

Alan Acock

"Alan Acock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >>On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:05:19 -0600, "fe" <[email protected]> claims:

> I have an "incredibell" (sp?) on my handlebar that goes ding ding.
> Pedestrians seem to like the ding ding and usually move to the right side.
> Horns would be rude but a nice ding ding is a non-hostile announcement. I
> then say 'on your left' and 'good day.'
>
> On the road when somebody drives by me with their horn blasting, I go ding
> ding as well, but (a) don't say 'good day' and (b) assume they don't hear
> me. I don't know why this keeps me calm, but it does.
>
> Alan Acock

As a pedestrian, bell sounds polite, just "ON YOUR LEFT" sounds like a ruddy
pushy asshole need a break from his stinking bicycle.

"Alan Acock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >>On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:05:19 -0600, "fe" <[email protected]> claims:

> I have an "incredibell" (sp?) on my handlebar that goes ding ding.
> Pedestrians seem to like the ding ding and usually move to the right side.
> Horns would be rude but a nice ding ding is a non-hostile announcement. I
> then say 'on your left' and 'good day.'
>
> On the road when somebody drives by me with their horn blasting, I go ding
> ding as well, but (a) don't say 'good day' and (b) assume they don't hear
> me. I don't know why this keeps me calm, but it does.
>
> Alan Acock

As a pedestrian, bell sounds polite, just "ON YOUR LEFT" sounds like a ruddy
pushy asshole need a break from his stinking bicycle.

"Shane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Alan Acock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > I have an "incredibell" (sp?) on my handlebar that goes ding ding.
> > Pedestrians seem to like the ding ding and usually move to the right

side.
> > Horns would be rude but a nice ding ding is a non-hostile announcement.

> > then say 'on your left' and 'good day.'
> >
> > On the road when somebody drives by me with their horn blasting, I go

ding
> > ding as well, but (a) don't say 'good day' and (b) assume they don't

hear
> > me. I don't know why this keeps me calm, but it does.
> >
> > Alan Acock

> As a pedestrian, bell sounds polite, just "ON YOUR LEFT" sounds like a

ruddy
> pushy asshole need a break from his stinking bicycle.

The high frequency pitch of a bell is also easier for pedestrians to
identify as a bicycle, and easier for them to locate the direction from
which the sound emanates (high frequency sounds are easier to locate in
space than low frequency sounds). This is especially true for elderly
pedestrians. The bell is also much less likely to startle a pedestrian than
shouting "ON YOUR LEFT!".

GG

I always slow down, and if they don't hear my sprocket clicking, I usually
say excuse me and they get over.

news:[email protected]...