Re: best place to live

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Richard Baker, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. South Wales UK was mentioned and a fine choice too, (I live there). But
    don't just think Swansea and Cardiff, house prices are sky high (really high
    in Cardiff). If you move down the valleys a few miles, you still have
    access to hills, motorways, the coast and much cheaper housing.

    All the best
    Rik

    Tags:

  2. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > South Wales UK was mentioned and a fine choice too, (I live there). But
    > don't just think Swansea and Cardiff, house prices are sky high (really high
    > in Cardiff). If you move down the valleys a few miles, you still have
    > access to hills, motorways, the coast and much cheaper housing.

    Oh yes, Cardiff's vying (sp? I reckon it's right but it looks very odd)
    with London for silly house prices at the moment, and even Pontypridd's
    starting to catch up because it's not a bad commute and only a few
    miles. Rhondda and the other valleys are on the up and up in terms of
    prices as well. When we came here 6 1/2 years ago it was possible to
    buy a perfectly decent little terraced house for around £20K. Today
    you'd expect to pay at least double that, possibly more. It's possible
    that my own house, being somewhat larger than a standard terrace, won't
    have appreciated to the same extent (demand wouldn't be so high), and to
    be honest no one seeing it in its current state would want it anyway,
    but even so I'd imagine it would fetch 50% more now than I paid for it.
    Put the same house in certain parts of Cardiff and I'd expect it to
    fetch anything from double its original price to quadruple - and that'd
    be with the same land it's got now (i.e. not a lot).

    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  3. Theo

    Theo Guest

    "Fran" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] said...
    >> South Wales UK was mentioned and a fine choice too, (I live there). But
    >> don't just think Swansea and Cardiff, house prices are sky high (really
    >> high
    >> in Cardiff). If you move down the valleys a few miles, you still have
    >> access to hills, motorways, the coast and much cheaper housing.
    >>

    > Oh yes, Cardiff's vying (sp? I reckon it's right but it looks very odd)
    > with London for silly house prices at the moment, and even Pontypridd's
    > starting to catch up because it's not a bad commute and only a few
    > miles. Rhondda and the other valleys are on the up and up in terms of
    > prices as well. When we came here 6 1/2 years ago it was possible to
    > buy a perfectly decent little terraced house for around £20K. Today
    > you'd expect to pay at least double that, possibly more. It's possible
    > that my own house, being somewhat larger than a standard terrace, won't
    > have appreciated to the same extent (demand wouldn't be so high), and to
    > be honest no one seeing it in its current state would want it anyway,
    > but even so I'd imagine it would fetch 50% more now than I paid for it.
    > Put the same house in certain parts of Cardiff and I'd expect it to
    > fetch anything from double its original price to quadruple - and that'd
    > be with the same land it's got now (i.e. not a lot).

    I had a look /at/ your street, and probably your house, an hour ago on
    Google Earth. Good sharp picture.
    Is that loft with all the stuff yours ? ;-)

    --
    "Beannachd leibh"

    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

  4. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > I had a look /at/ your street, and probably your house, an hour ago on
    > Google Earth. Good sharp picture.
    > Is that loft with all the stuff yours ? ;-)

    I love Google Earth. Loft with stuff? Certainly it is, on the
    inside... There's a red vehicle opposite my house in the photo; the
    house is the third one up from where the side road branches off to the
    left. Isn't it a shame the Beacons and most of Snowdonia are so badly
    portrayed on Google Earth. I do hope they get the whole country sorted
    out at a decent resolution at some stage - even Storey Arms isn't really
    visible, and neither are any of my favourite haunts in Ceredigion.
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  5. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 12/2/06 17:30, in article [email protected],
    "Theo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I had a look /at/ your street, and probably your house, an hour ago on
    > Google Earth. Good sharp picture.
    > Is that loft with all the stuff yours ? ;-)

    Bet it's not as big as PW's loft!

    --
    Andy Howell, Birmingham, UK. To mail simply put back the dots ...

    Must Be Over There ...
    http://www.ecotrend.org.uk/trek

  6. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 12/2/06 21:45, in article [email protected],
    "Fran" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I love Google Earth. Loft with stuff? Certainly it is, on the
    > inside... There's a red vehicle opposite my house in the photo; the
    > house is the third one up from where the side road branches off to the
    > left. Isn't it a shame the Beacons and most of Snowdonia are so badly
    > portrayed on Google Earth. I do hope they get the whole country sorted
    > out at a decent resolution at some stage - even Storey Arms isn't really
    > visible, and neither are any of my favourite haunts in Ceredigion.

    You try looking at the Pyrenees - even worse!

    --
    Andy Howell, Birmingham, UK. To mail simply put back the dots ...

    Must Be Over There ...
    http://www.ecotrend.org.uk/trek

  7. Theo

    Theo Guest

    "Andy Howell" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:C016A879.48F5E%[email protected]
    > On 12/2/06 17:30, in article [email protected],
    > "Theo" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I had a look /at/ your street, and probably your house, an hour ago on
    >> Google Earth. Good sharp picture.
    >> Is that loft with all the stuff yours ? ;-)

    > Bet it's not as big as PW's loft!

    We haven't heard of PW for a while now. I think she's converting her loft
    into one of Britains greatest outdoorshops :)

    --
    "Beannachd leibh"

    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

  8. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Theo wrote:
    > "Andy Howell" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    > news:C016A879.48F5E%[email protected]
    >
    >>On 12/2/06 17:30, in article [email protected],
    >>"Theo" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I had a look /at/ your street, and probably your house, an hour ago on
    >>>Google Earth. Good sharp picture.
    >>>Is that loft with all the stuff yours ? ;-)

    >>Bet it's not as big as PW's loft!

    > We haven't heard of PW for a while now. I think she's converting her loft
    > into one of Britains greatest outdoorshops :)

    Ah - it must have been the threat of that competition which caused the
    F&T closures.

    druidh

  9. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <43f207da$0$2016$ba620[email protected]>, Theo
    <[email protected]> writes

    >"Andy Howell" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    >news:C016A879.48F5E%[email protected]
    >> On 12/2/06 17:30, in article [email protected],
    >> "Theo" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had a look /at/ your street, and probably your house, an hour ago on
    >>> Google Earth. Good sharp picture.
    >>> Is that loft with all the stuff yours ? ;-)

    >> Bet it's not as big as PW's loft!

    >We haven't heard of PW for a while now. I think she's converting her loft
    >into one of Britains greatest outdoorshops :)

    Do Peewiglets hibernate?
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  10. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    W. D. Grey <[email protected]> wrote
    >In article <[email protected]>, Theo
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >>"Andy Howell" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    >>news:C016A879.48F5E%[email protected]

    >>> Bet it's not as big as PW's loft!

    >>We haven't heard of PW for a while now. I think she's converting her loft
    >>into one of Britains greatest outdoorshops :)
    >>

    >Do Peewiglets hibernate?

    Just in case - I'm not burning any prunings 'til Spring.
    --
    Gordon Harris

  11. Theo

    Theo Guest

    "W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, Theo
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >>"Andy Howell" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    >>news:C016A879.48F5E%[email protected]
    >>> On 12/2/06 17:30, in article
    >>> [email protected],

    >>> Bet it's not as big as PW's loft!

    >>We haven't heard of PW for a while now. I think she's converting her loft
    >>into one of Britains greatest outdoorshops :)
    >>

    > Do Peewiglets hibernate?

    Did she meet...... The Butcher ? :-((

    --
    "Beannachd leibh"

    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

  12. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 14/2/06 22:51, in article [email protected],
    "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ah - it must have been the threat of that competition which caused the
    > F&T closures.

    I guess if PW goes 100% online many more retail shops will be threatened!

    --
    Andy Howell, Birmingham, UK. To mail simply put back the dots ...

    Must Be Over There ...
    http://www.ecotrend.org.uk/trek

  13. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 16/2/06 21:06, in article [email protected],
    "Theo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> We haven't heard of PW for a while now. I think she's converting her loft
    >>> into one of Britains greatest outdoorshops :)
    >>>

    >> Do Peewiglets hibernate?

    > Did she meet...... The Butcher ? :-((

    I'm now horribly lost. Butcher?

    Perhaps she's preparing to accompany Mary up Everest.