Re: best tv show on cooking?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Toni Rosati, Mar 19, 2005.

  1. Toni Rosati

    Toni Rosati Guest

    GOOD EATS!
    Good Eats!
    Good Eats!

    --
    Toni Rosati
    Orchid Photography

    "Ubiquitous" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.fronterakitchens.com/
    >>rick bayles mexican cooking?
    >>or how about barbeque university?

    > Good Eats. No competition.

    > ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.

    Tags:

  2. GW

    GW Guest

    The Urban Chef, I don' recall his name. Can anyone please provide it?

    He basically taught me to play around with ingredients. When listing
    ingredients for a dish, he often said "If you like it, put it in there.
    If you don't, leave it out. If you like something else, put it in
    there."

    That show was very good.

  3. cowboy

    cowboy Guest

    I would have to say "Good Eats" by Alton Brown is clearly the hottest show
    on TV

    bye-bye Martha & Emeril, your ratings are dropping like a ROCK

    HELLO Alton & Rachel!

    "GW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The Urban Chef, I don' recall his name. Can anyone please provide it?
    >
    > He basically taught me to play around with ingredients. When listing
    > ingredients for a dish, he often said "If you like it, put it in there. If
    > you don't, leave it out. If you like something else, put it in there."
    >
    > That show was very good.

  4. TheKidd

    TheKidd Guest

    Good Eats = #1 Alton is just great!
    Paula Dean = tie for #2 Great recipes even though they'd probably kill me
    if I ate them all the time! I wish I was her neighbor. What a fun lady.
    Everyday Italian = tie for #2 Great recipes and genuine homemade Italian.
    Love to have her as a neighbor too.
    Rachael Ray = #3 Used to be #2 but Rachael's becoming overexposed with
    alll the shows she does. Still, she comes up with good ideas.

    Those are my top favs. I've made many recipes by all of the above with great
    success.

    I hate:
    Semi-Homemade = #1 I can't beleive Food Network allows this show to go on.
    Horrible Horrible Horrible!!!
    Barefoot Contessa = #2 Just nothing more than flaunting her address and
    husband's wealth with so-so recipes. Get her off the air.

    Would never try any of the recipes from these 2. No need to anyway.

    -TheKidd

  5. cowboy

    cowboy Guest

    > Everyday Italian = tie for #2 Great recipes and genuine homemade Italian.
    > Love to have her as a neighbor too.

    The problem with this show is that it is a fraud. If that gal ate anything
    remotely like the ultra rich food she is always cooking, she would fatter
    than Rachel Ray, a LOT fatter!

    she is very slender, proving that she obviously eats nothing that she
    prepares on the show in real life.

    that is a scam in my book

  6. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 18:59:47 -0400, "TheKidd" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Good Eats = #1 Alton is just great!
    > Paula Dean = tie for #2 Great recipes even though they'd probably kill me
    > if I ate them all the time! I wish I was her neighbor. What a fun lady.
    > Everyday Italian = tie for #2 Great recipes and genuine homemade Italian.
    > Love to have her as a neighbor too.
    > Rachael Ray = #3 Used to be #2 but Rachael's becoming overexposed with
    > alll the shows she does. Still, she comes up with good ideas.
    >
    > Those are my top favs. I've made many recipes by all of the above with great
    > success.
    >
    > I hate:
    > Semi-Homemade = #1 I can't beleive Food Network allows this show to go on.
    > Horrible Horrible Horrible!!!
    > Barefoot Contessa = #2 Just nothing more than flaunting her address and
    > husband's wealth with so-so recipes. Get her off the air.
    >
    > Would never try any of the recipes from these 2. No need to anyway.

    I like all of the shows you mentioned, but if the camera NEVER showed
    Giada De Laurentiis (voice only please), I'd like Everyday Italian
    more. I don't have a problem with her recipes, however I have a big
    problem with her inabilaty to *swallow* food.... she has
    finallyallowed the camera to record her put food in her mouth instead
    of holding it up to her lips, then it cuts away.

    I still suspect that she spits out the mouthful of food she took when
    the camera stops recording what she does.

    "We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude"

    "If we run into such debt, as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements, for our calling and our creeds...we [will] have no time to think, no means of calling our miss-managers to account but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow-sufferers. And this is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle in one instance becomes a precedent for another till the bulk of society is reduced to be mere automatons of misery.

    "And the fore-horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that and in its train wretchedness and oppression." - Thomas Jefferson - Author of The Declaration of Independence, Founding Father and Third U.S. President

  7. sf <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 18:59:47 -0400, "TheKidd" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Good Eats = #1 Alton is just great!
    > > Paula Dean = tie for #2 Great recipes even though they'd
    > > probably kill me if I ate them all the time! I wish I was her
    > > neighbor. What a fun lady. Everyday Italian = tie for #2 Great
    > > recipes and genuine homemade Italian. Love to have her as a
    > > neighbor too. Rachael Ray = #3 Used to be #2 but Rachael's
    > > becoming overexposed with alll the shows she does. Still, she
    > > comes up with good ideas.
    > >
    > > Those are my top favs. I've made many recipes by all of the above
    > > with great success.
    > >
    > > I hate:
    > > Semi-Homemade = #1 I can't beleive Food Network allows this show
    > > to go on. Horrible Horrible Horrible!!!
    > > Barefoot Contessa = #2 Just nothing more than flaunting her
    > > address and husband's wealth with so-so recipes. Get her off the
    > > air.
    > >
    > > Would never try any of the recipes from these 2. No need to
    > > anyway.
    > >

    > I like all of the shows you mentioned, but if the camera NEVER
    > showed Giada De Laurentiis (voice only please), I'd like Everyday
    > Italian more. I don't have a problem with her recipes, however I
    > have a big problem with her inabilaty to *swallow* food.... she has
    > finallyallowed the camera to record her put food in her mouth
    > instead of holding it up to her lips, then it cuts away.
    >
    > I still suspect that she spits out the mouthful of food she took
    > when the camera stops recording what she does.
    >

    > "We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must
    > make our election between economy and liberty or profusion and
    > servitude"
    >
    > "If we run into such debt, as that we must be taxed in our meat and
    > in our drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and
    > our amusements, for our calling and our creeds...we [will] have no
    > time to think, no means of calling our miss-managers to account but
    > be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their
    > chains on the necks of our fellow-sufferers. And this is the
    > tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle in one
    > instance becomes a precedent for another till the bulk of society is
    > reduced to be mere automatons of misery.
    >
    > "And the fore-horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation
    > follows that and in its train wretchedness and oppression." - Thomas
    > Jefferson - Author of The Declaration of Independence, Founding
    > Father and Third U.S. President

    Your sig goes on and on fix the word wrap...New puters need tweaking?

    Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
    1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
    Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
    Continuing to be Manitoban

  8. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-04-05, Monsur Fromage du Pollet <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Your sig goes on and on fix the word wrap...New puters need tweaking?

    Your replies need trimming....

  9. notbob <[email protected]> wrote in news:jd2dnfNXWYP6s8_fRVn-
    [email protected]:

    > On 2005-04-05, Monsur Fromage du Pollet <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > Your sig goes on and on fix the word wrap...New puters need tweaking?

    > Your replies need trimming....

    I'll slove that for me....
    plonk.

    Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
    1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
    Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
    Continuing to be Manitoban

  10. It could very well be healthy, portion control
    peace...
    debbie
    Keep your face to the sunshine
    and you cannot see the shadow

    "cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > Everyday Italian = tie for #2 Great recipes and genuine homemade

    Italian.
    > > Love to have her as a neighbor too.

    > The problem with this show is that it is a fraud. If that gal ate

    anything
    > remotely like the ultra rich food she is always cooking, she would fatter
    > than Rachel Ray, a LOT fatter!
    >
    > she is very slender, proving that she obviously eats nothing that she
    > prepares on the show in real life.
    >
    > that is a scam in my book

  11. T. L. Hicks

    T. L. Hicks Guest

    "cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> Everyday Italian = tie for #2 Great recipes and genuine homemade Italian.
    >> Love to have her as a neighbor too.

    > The problem with this show is that it is a fraud. If that gal ate
    > anything remotely like the ultra rich food she is always cooking, she
    > would fatter than Rachel Ray, a LOT fatter!
    > she is very slender, proving that she obviously eats nothing that she
    > prepares on the show in real life.
    >
    > that is a scam in my book

    What's the saying "Never trust a skinny cook."

    T. L. Hicks

  12. Deb

    Deb Guest

    Nope - it could just be her metabolism. On my Mothers side of the family we
    have people who can eat anything and everything and not gain at all. In fact
    they are too thin. They all eat the kind of stuff that Paula Deen cooks -
    potatoes, fried foods, pork, cornbread, biscuits, cakes, pies and everything
    full of sugar, butter and cream. I just hate em! LOL The other part of the
    family can't eat a lettuce leaf without gaining weight. It's really odd and
    unfortunately I take after the ones who gain weight just from just watching
    a cooking show.

    Debra

    "cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > The problem with this show is that it is a fraud. If that gal ate

    anything
    > remotely like the ultra rich food she is always cooking, she would fatter
    > than Rachel Ray, a LOT fatter!
    >
    > she is very slender, proving that she obviously eats nothing that she
    > prepares on the show in real life.
    >
    > that is a scam in my book

  13. sf

    sf Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 06:44:06 GMT, Monsur Fromage du Pollet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > notbob <[email protected]> wrote in news:jd2dnfNXWYP6s8_fRVn-
    > [email protected]:
    >
    > > On 2005-04-05, Monsur Fromage du Pollet <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > > > Your sig goes on and on fix the word wrap...New puters need tweaking?

    > > Your replies need trimming....
    > >

    > I'll slove that for me....
    > plonk.

    No need to be that way. I thanked you for the heads up and fixed the
    problem manually. However, I'll try to find out why it happened.
    That was just plain weird. My message word wrapped, but the sig
    didn't. There has to be a bug in the new version.

    :) or :\
    depending on YOUR mood

[...]

  14. TheKidd

    TheKidd Guest

    No, not a fraud at all. Lots of folks can eat to their hearts (or stomach's)
    content and not gain weight. My sister can, I can't!

    Here's an interview on AMAZON.Com she did. She's done a lot of cooking and
    eating.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/557923/002-9428016-2794447

    -TheKidd

    "cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> Everyday Italian = tie for #2 Great recipes and genuine homemade Italian.
    >> Love to have her as a neighbor too.

    > The problem with this show is that it is a fraud. If that gal ate
    > anything remotely like the ultra rich food she is always cooking, she
    > would fatter than Rachel Ray, a LOT fatter!
    >
    > she is very slender, proving that she obviously eats nothing that she
    > prepares on the show in real life.
    >
    > that is a scam in my book

  15. TheKidd

    TheKidd Guest

    Not a fraud at all. Here's an interview for her next book on AMAZON.COM.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/557923/002-9428016-2794447

    -TheKidd

    "cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> Everyday Italian = tie for #2 Great recipes and genuine homemade Italian.
    >> Love to have her as a neighbor too.

    > The problem with this show is that it is a fraud. If that gal ate
    > anything remotely like the ultra rich food she is always cooking, she
    > would fatter than Rachel Ray, a LOT fatter!
    >
    > she is very slender, proving that she obviously eats nothing that she
    > prepares on the show in real life.
    >
    > that is a scam in my book

  16. Serene

    Serene Guest

    "cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Everyday Italian = tie for #2 Great recipes and genuine homemade Italian.
    > > Love to have her as a neighbor too.

    > The problem with this show is that it is a fraud. If that gal ate anything
    > remotely like the ultra rich food she is always cooking, she would fatter
    > than Rachel Ray, a LOT fatter!
    >
    > she is very slender, proving that she obviously eats nothing that she
    > prepares on the show in real life.
    >
    > that is a scam in my book

    Oh, nonsense. Plenty of thin people eat rich food.

    serene
    --
    http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
    http://www.jhuger.com

  17. Ubiquitous

    Ubiquitous Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

    >I hate:
    >Semi-Homemade = #1 I can't beleive Food Network allows this show to go on.
    >Horrible Horrible Horrible!!!

    Ohhhh, you know you like to watch and laugh at it.
    Admit it. :)

    ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.

  18. Ubiquitous

    Ubiquitous Guest

    wrote:

    >> Everyday Italian = tie for #2 Great recipes and genuine homemade Italian.
    >> Love to have her as a neighbor too.

    >The problem with this show is that it is a fraud. If that gal ate anything
    >remotely like the ultra rich food she is always cooking, she would fatter
    >than Rachel Ray, a LOT fatter!
    >
    >she is very slender, proving that she obviously eats nothing that she
    >prepares on the show in real life.
    >
    >that is a scam in my book

    How so? I'm sure there's people who can do that and get away with it.
    I wonder how active a lifestyle she leads?

    ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.

  19. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Ubiquitous wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> I hate:
    >> Semi-Homemade = #1 I can't beleive Food Network allows this show
    >> to go on. Horrible Horrible Horrible!!!

    > Ohhhh, you know you like to watch and laugh at it.
    > Admit it. :)

    My wife and I used to watch the Two Fat Ladies as though it were Fear
    Factor.

  20. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Nick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ubiquitous wrote:
    >
    >> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >>> I hate:
    >>> Semi-Homemade = #1 I can't beleive Food Network allows this show
    >>> to go on. Horrible Horrible Horrible!!!

    >> Ohhhh, you know you like to watch and laugh at it.
    >> Admit it. :)
    >>

    > My wife and I used to watch the Two Fat Ladies as though it were Fear
    > Factor.

    My favorite is Tyler -- don't groan. He is just soo gregarious - picking
    food out of prepared dishes with his fingers, eating with others' spoons,
    eating off the same plate with others, laughing sooo loud, but I do like his
    enthusiasm.
    Giada is second, simply because she makes Italian and most of it is simple,
    and she's such a smiley person. I do wonder if she swallows when she takes
    a bite and says how yummy it is. I've never seen anyone who cooks with such
    a thin body!
    Dee
    Dee