Re: Bicycle Quarterly Rolling Resistance Tests: No Surprises

Michael Press

Guest
In article
<[email protected]>,
"41" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The 66tpi casings and
> probably 2 - 2.5mm of hard tread rubber of my Avocet Duro Pluses
> (which I run at around maybe 50-70psi) make a lot of sense, but the
> same size tire in 127tpi with 1mm of soft tread rubber would be a
> highly specialized item: made for short races

not races, but rides. Check

> in dry weather

Check

> on well-swept roads,

Check

> for out of shape riders

Check

> who are not fat enough to need high pressures,

Check

> yet who cannot go fast enough for aerodynamics to be a factor.

Check.

> Who on earth is that?

[Looks around sheepishly] Uh, I have this friend ...
--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "41" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The 66tpi casings and
> > probably 2 - 2.5mm of hard tread rubber of my Avocet Duro Pluses
> > (which I run at ar ound maybe 50-70psi) make a lot of sense, but the
> > same size tire in 127tpi with 1mm of soft tread rubber would be a
> > highly specialized item: made for short races

> not races, but rides. Check
>
> > in dry weather

> Check
>
> > on well-swept roads,

> Check
>
> > for out of shape riders

> Check
>
> > who are not fat enough to need high pressures,

> Check
>
> > yet who cannot go fast enough for aerodynamics to be a factor.

> Check.
>
> > Who on earth is that?

> [Looks around sheepishly] Uh, I have this friend ...

hmmmmmm....

Seriously, a useful excercise is to plot tire weight versus tire width
for various tire series available in multiple widths: Avocet, Conti
Ultra 2000, Ultra Gatorskin, Michelin Dynamic, etc. From this one gets
a pictorial representation of the design philosophy. Of the series I
have plotted thus far, the ideal tire for you- especially since you
ride the size- would seem to be the Ultra Gatorskin in size 32-630.

It's striking the difference in the curves between the UG series, and
e.g. the Avocet or Ultra 2000 series. The UG is unique in its design
philosophy: in comparison with its competitors, most durable in the
narrow sizes, fastest in the wide sizes.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"41" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Seriously, a useful excercise is to plot tire weight versus tire width
> for various tire series available in multiple widths: Avocet, Conti
> Ultra 2000, Ultra Gatorskin, Michelin Dynamic, etc. From this one gets
> a pictorial representation of the design philosophy. Of the series I
> have plotted thus far, the ideal tire for you- especially since you
> ride the size- would seem to be the Ultra Gatorskin in size 32-630.
>
> It's striking the difference in the curves between the UG series, and
> e.g. the Avocet or Ultra 2000 series. The UG is unique in its design
> philosophy: in comparison with its competitors, most durable in the
> narrow sizes, fastest in the wide sizes.

Thank you. I will look into them.
--
Michael Press