Re: bicyclists armed with knives, keying cars, spitting into them

Jack May

Guest
"Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>The rural areas freak me out. No disrespect intended.
> Sometimes when I travel, I love seeing Newark Airport when I return.
> Gray skies and all.

The scariest state is Ohio or one of those rust belt states that give ticket
for being 1MPH over the limit. It is obviously a state wide speed trap.
Most police (except for the "zero tolerance" buffoon that is head of the
CHP) know that relative speed, not absolute speed determines the accident
rate up to some fairly high speed.

Here in the Bay Area, Palo Alto is officially declared by California as a
speed trap. Palo Alto is far from being a hic town except in its politics.
It is hard to know which Governments think money is far more important than
the death an injury caused by their greed.

Jack May wrote:
> "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >The rural areas freak me out. No disrespect intended.
> > Sometimes when I travel, I love seeing Newark Airport when I

return.
> > Gray skies and all.

> The scariest state is Ohio or one of those rust belt states that give

ticket
> for being 1MPH over the limit. It is obviously a state wide speed

trap.
> Most police (except for the "zero tolerance" buffoon that is head of

the
> CHP) know that relative speed, not absolute speed determines the

accident
> rate up to some fairly high speed.

You just need to know where and when to drive over the speed limit in
Ohio. I've been a Buckeye all my life and seldom see people driving
the speed limit, especially during the morning and evening rush hours.
If you're doing the speed limit at these times you're going to get run
over<g>

I will admit our SHP can be tough. I think they like out-of-state
license plates and the truckers. When returning from out-of-state
trips I always slow down when I hit the Ohio border. They usually
don't bother you if you're less than 10 mph over the speed limit.
Anything above that and you'll probably get stopped.

My family thinks I must have a lucky charm of some sort. I've been
stopped by the local police 3 times in the last couple years for
speeding and haven't received anything more than a warning. My
daughter said if that had been her she would have had a ticket
everytime. Maybe they just give us seniors a break.

> Here in the Bay Area, Palo Alto is officially declared by California

as a
> speed trap. Palo Alto is far from being a hic town except in its

politics.
> It is hard to know which Governments think money is far more

important than
> the death an injury caused by their greed.

I'm not familiar with the area but I'm sure they have these speed traps
everywhere. It became so bad in a little town around here that the
residents took action to remove the police chief and his one deputy
from office. No one wanted to drive through the town or do business
with the local merchants because of the over zealous police department.

Beverly

In article <[email protected]>,
Jack May <[email protected]> wrote:

>The scariest state is Ohio or one of those rust belt states that give ticket
>for being 1MPH over the limit. It is obviously a state wide speed trap.
>Most police (except for the "zero tolerance" buffoon that is head of the
>CHP) know that relative speed, not absolute speed determines the accident
>rate up to some fairly high speed.

Maybe. But the amount of damage which can be caused by going 1mph over
the speed limit is actually _greater_ when the nominal speed is high.
So one could argue that the police should be _more vigilant_ about
people traveling 51mph in a 50mph zone than people traveling 26mph
in a 25mph zone.

dave