Re: bike bridge, and seasonal variations in cycling

POHB

Guest
On 21 Mar, 17:05, "Erik Sandblom" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello

I don't have permission to access /images/articles/gangbro1a.jpg

But anyway, I think separate cycle facilities which provide shortcuts
to cyclists when the alternative is a long way round can be great.
Some simple examples around my way are where roads have been gated at
one end to reduce rat-running but there's a gap to allow cyclists
through. There's some bridges for peds and cyclists to cross over
dual-carriageway roads with limited junctions for motorists that are
really useful too.

Den 2007-03-21 18:43:00 skrev POHB <[email protected]>:

> On 21 Mar, 17:05, "Erik Sandblom" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hello

> I don't have permission to access /images/articles/gangbro1a.jpg

Terribly sorry. Apparently Simon found a map of Stockholm there, so maybe
the problem has been resolved.

Here are two clickable images that might work.
http://www.alvstaden.se/nyheter/53/

> But anyway, I think separate cycle facilities which provide shortcuts
> to cyclists when the alternative is a long way round can be great.
> Some simple examples around my way are where roads have been gated at
> one end to reduce rat-running but there's a gap to allow cyclists
> through. There's some bridges for peds and cyclists to cross over
> dual-carriageway roads with limited junctions for motorists that are
> really useful too.

Agreed. Bicycles are not as heavy, bulky or noisy as other vehicles, and
frequently slower, so cycle shortcuts make sense.

But in the case of bridges over motorways, the shortcut is really just a
hole in a barrier created by the motorway, which is presumably off-limits
to cycles. If motorways are good, then by extension cycle paths are good
too, if only to cross the motorway.

Erik Sandblom

--
Oil is for sissies