Re: bike bridge, and seasonal variations in cycling

Jeremy Parker

Guest
"Erik Sandblom" <[email protected]> wrote

[snip]

> So, what do you think? Can there be such a thing as good bike
> infrastructure separated from motor traffic? Under what
> circumstances?

Two examples

Old railway paths are good. They go where people wanted to travel.
They are well graded. They are direct. They usually do not cross
roads at grade. They are usually sited where they do not encourage
motorists to harass cyclists not using them.

Bridges over, for example, rivers or railways can give cyclists a
distance and time advantage over other modes

Jeremy Parker

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:46:51 -0000, "Jeremy Parker"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Old railway paths are good. They go where people wanted to travel.
>They are well graded. They are direct. They usually do not cross
>roads at grade. They are usually sited where they do not encourage
>motorists to harass cyclists not using them.

However, they're usually full of broken glass. This makes them
effectively unusable.

Funny how I've been cycling around Den Haag over the past 6 months or
so, and I've hardly encountered any. A far more respectable culture
than the UK in many ways, not just this.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Neil Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:46:51 -0000, "Jeremy Parker"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Old railway paths are good. They go where people wanted to travel.
>> They are well graded. They are direct. They usually do not cross
>> roads at grade. They are usually sited where they do not encourage
>> motorists to harass cyclists not using them.

> However, they're usually full of broken glass. This makes them
> effectively unusable.
>
> Funny how I've been cycling around Den Haag over the past 6 months or
> so, and I've hardly encountered any. A far more respectable culture
> than the UK in many ways, not just this.

It improved a lot when they moved the glass recycling containers away from
the bikepaths.

--

Geoff