Re: Bikers and hikers face off over trail access in Marin County

Mike Vandeman

Guest
From: A Vancouver, BC resident
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 10:35:13 -0700
Subject: Re: Bikers and hikers face off over trail access in Marin
County

If every parks and forest ranger just used the "on foot" (small
footprint) rule, there would be no argument about mountain biking.
Horses and hikers, etc. are on foot/hooves/paws/etc.

Mountain bikes have wheels; ditto OVR's and ATV's. All of these need a
special places away from foot trails! So like skiing, mountain biking
needs a specialized bike resort set aside where the sport can be
contained, controlled and regulated. Same with recreational
ATV's/OVR's.

But we all know mountain bikers feel mountain biking is a right, not a
privilege. And that is where most of the problems begin. How
narcissistic of them.

There is no legitimacy, nor merit to the sport of mountain biking if
it infringes on traditional "on foot" trails and wild places. Don't
let mountain bikers wipe their attitude all over you -- it only gets
worse every time you try to appease them. Like spoiled children with
candy, they only want more. Mountain biking has become an addiction,
not a sport anymore.

Up here in BC, their consummate riding and trail/structure building
has pretty much heavily modified the forest in many places.
Intimidation is their tactic.

Four seasons a year riding -- rain, shine, sleet and snow, day and
night. If that is not addiction, I do not know what it is? And this is
healthy?

Let's not get into injury rates, as mountain biking is one of the most
dangerous sports to introduce your kid to. And yet the media glorifies
it?

Slow down!