Road Cycling · Public discussion

Re: biking across Canada.. solo?

Started by Brian Huntley · · Last activity · 3 posts · 426 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
27 January 2005
Last activity
29 January 2005
Original author
Brian Huntley
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
426
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'd say it's actually easier to guerrilla camp solo - you're less
    obvious when you're alone. Just don't buy a bright pink tent.

    If you want to read a *lot* of inspirational bike trip journals, try
    www.crazyguyonabike.com - there's about 475 tour journals there (and
    counting.)

    While I've yet to go trans-Canada, I've done solo tours of about a
    week's duration each summer for the last several years. There are
    places in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick where you won't see a car for
    half a day. Heck, even in Ontario, hours can go by. Out there by
    yourself, it's wonderful. But when I broke a derailleur in NB, I
    eventually got a ride, and I have to say that was one of the most
    interesting days I've spent on a bike (and in a pickup) so far.
    So go for it, and keep a journal.

  2. Hey Brian,
    Good point about the guerrilla camping. I'll check out that website for
    sure..
    I recently read a book called "timbit nation" about a journalist hitchiking
    across Canada, and he describes NB and NS as being as you said.. I'm much
    looking forward to it. He also describes a lot of abandoned farm houses and
    barns (which I may stay in 🙂

    As for the journal, part of the reason I'm so disappointed with my friends
    not going is that I've purchased a bunch of audio video gear to bring on the
    trip to document it. The plan is to keep a video journal of the ride and
    edit it down into a full length movie and stick it on the internet.

    Mike
    http://mikebeauchamp.com

    "Brian Huntley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'd say it's actually easier to guerrilla camp solo - you're less
    obvious when you're alone. Just don't buy a bright pink tent.

    If you want to read a *lot* of inspirational bike trip journals, try
    www.crazyguyonabike.com - there's about 475 tour journals there (and
    counting.)

    While I've yet to go trans-Canada, I've done solo tours of about a
    week's duration each summer for the last several years. There are
    places in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick where you won't see a car for
    half a day. Heck, even in Ontario, hours can go by. Out there by
    yourself, it's wonderful. But when I broke a derailleur in NB, I
    eventually got a ride, and I have to say that was one of the most
    interesting days I've spent on a bike (and in a pickup) so far.
    So go for it, and keep a journal.

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Brian Huntley said:

    I'd say it's actually easier to guerrilla camp solo - you're less
    obvious when you're alone. Just don't buy a bright pink tent.

    Agreed. Although I prefer it be called 'free' camping--less
    confrontational ;-). Last summer, this was the accommodation of choice
    in Vermont, NY state, New Hampshire and Maine. It's GREAT on the
    pocketbook.

    Locals are a valuable resource in scouting (illegal/unregulated)
    camping areas. Whenever conversing with folks on the scene, I make it a
    point to slip in a casual query about possible campsites. Frequently
    they are more than obliging in offering directions to (if not prime,
    then definitely serviceable) sites.

    Also, I don't hesitate to ask a farmer or land owner if I can camp on
    his land if the locale is particularly appealing or night is
    approaching. Courtesy and due respect serves a traveller well in this
    regard.

    But free camping is not always the best option: for instance, extra
    diligence is required where it concerns food and water: you cannot rely
    on their being obtained near an improvised campsite; and the nature of
    some sites are not compatible with camp fires; etc...

    luke

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.