Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Re: Bill Baka -- Selected Quotes from a Genius

Started by still me · · Last activity · 4 posts · 279 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 May 2007
Last activity
24 May 2007
Original author
still me
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
279
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On 23 May 2007 10:54:21 -0700, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    There isn't a
    man with a decent income out there that wouldn't at least try to find
    a place to keep it if the air force were giving them away, as opposed
    to being tight with them as Bill suggested.

    You missed your chance.There was a Saab Gripen that sold on Ebay a few
    months ago complete with dummy weaponry for short money. Upkeep and
    fuel costs were a little steep.

  2. still me said:

    On 23 May 2007 10:54:21 -0700, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    There isn't a
    man with a decent income out there that wouldn't at least try to find
    a place to keep it if the air force were giving them away, as opposed
    to being tight with them as Bill suggested.

    You missed your chance.There was a Saab Gripen that sold on Ebay a few
    months ago complete with dummy weaponry for short money. Upkeep and
    fuel costs were a little steep.


    F-104G's were being flown by the German Air Force as late as the '70's
    but sell one to a civilian?
    Fat chance.
    As to that Saab, they do take real money to hangar and maintain, and
    aviation gas is not cheap. We have a local guy who has an original
    (minus guns) P-80 straight wing with the tip tanks and he flies over my
    house about once a month. I'll bet it takes $500 worth of jet fuel just
    to take off and fly for a half hour or so.
    Until I win the lottery I can only want.
    Ebay?????
    Wow.
    Bill Baka

  3. Bill said:

    As to that Saab, they do take real money to hangar and maintain, and
    aviation gas is not cheap. We have a local guy who has an original
    (minus guns) P-80 straight wing with the tip tanks and he flies over my
    house about once a month. I'll bet it takes $500 worth of jet fuel just
    to take off and fly for a half hour or so.

    The calculations I saw were way beyond that for fuel. Keeping it
    airworthy is also very expensive.

    Quoted message said:

    Until I win the lottery I can only want.
    Ebay?????

    Yep. It wasn't all that much, maybe a couple million. I mean,
    considering the original cost. It was in private ownership
    (obviously).

  4. still me said:
    Bill said:

    As to that Saab, they do take real money to hangar and maintain, and
    aviation gas is not cheap. We have a local guy who has an original
    (minus guns) P-80 straight wing with the tip tanks and he flies over my
    house about once a month. I'll bet it takes $500 worth of jet fuel just
    to take off and fly for a half hour or so.

    The calculations I saw were way beyond that for fuel. Keeping it
    airworthy is also very expensive.

    No argument from me, but I think it would be licensed as 'Experimental'.
    Parts replacement must be a real pain. Since it was one of the very
    first jets around 1946 the engine can't be all that fuel efficient.
    I have only seen him take it to about 300 MPH at about 1,000 feet even
    though they were supposed to do 500+, so he must be watching the fuel.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Until I win the lottery I can only want.
    Ebay?????

    Yep. It wasn't all that much, maybe a couple million. I mean,
    considering the original cost. It was in private ownership
    (obviously).


    Look at the planes in the Reno air races. There are $10 million Mustangs
    there, and lots of super hot rodded ones, like turbo-prop, twin 5 blade
    props, and all that stuff I drool over.
    Sometimes it makes me wish I had concentrated on making money over
    having fun.
    Bill Baka

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.