Re: Biological mechanism if marathon exhaustion

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Donovan Rebbechi, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. On 2004-10-15, Ignoramus21424 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I would like to know the actual biological mechanisms that make a
    > person who runs a marathon, fatigued and in need of much rest.

    It's complicated. There are several of them.

    > Obviously, a marathon is a long distance and it is natural to be
    > tired, but what is it that happens to our bodies that makes then tired
    > and in need of repair?
    >
    > Is it glycogen loss, tears of muscle fibers, etc?

    Yes.

    > The reason for this question is, mostly, to find out just why marathon
    > sized training runs are inadvisable.

    Marathon sized training runs are not the same as an all-out marathon race. The
    reason they're not used very often boils down to a cost-benefit calculation:
    the costs increase and the returns rapidly diminish after time on feet gets
    close to predicted race time.

    But there's nothing magical about the 26.2 mile distance that makes a run of
    this length particularly inadvisable compared to, say, a 23, 24 or 25 mile run.
    Someone training for a longer race would be more likely to include training
    runs of marathon distance.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi