Re: Blame the faulty drivers of dangerous machinery. 4WDs most dangerouson road

I only ever drove 2 DAFs, didnt like em, but then I was coming out of
a W model Kenworth, and used to the bonnet, and going cabover and wide
cab was different..

Your choice for the DAF?

Resound wrote:
> "Birdman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>>> Still, bigger brakes mean very little in an emergency stopping
>>> situation.

>> ********.
>> You have lost all credibility.

> Did you read the rest of that? Tell exactly how retarding a wheel
> beyond the point of lockup stops the vehicle faster. Yes, bigger
> brakes are a good thing but only with regards to cooling.

********. They also give you finer control over the braking force applied.
You can brake with more control *before* the wheel locks up.

Try it with an electric motor with a pulley on it. Power the motor up and
try to stop it spinning by pushing your finger onto the pulley close to the
spindle. Now try the same thing but press near the outside of the pulley.
You have a lot more control with a larger diameter disc.

--
Kwyj

Noons> TimC wrote:
> [...]

Noons> All that proves is that your head is thick as a brick... :)

>> subsequent >> endo).

Noons> Ah yes: of course. You hit a vehicle manouvering in front of
Noons> you and the fault is the vehicle's.
>> Not in front, alongside. It's quite common for one vehicle to be
>> alongside another. Not so clear cut, is it?

Noons> don't look now, but I read above "in front of me". Does that
Noons> now mean "alongside"?

If the front wheel of a bicycle is level with the middle of a car and
the car turns in front of the bicycle, then yes the car is alongside the
bicycle.

Remember it is legal for a bicycle to overtake on the inside. Not
always the most sensible course but it is legal. The driver of the
other vehicle deviated from his course with no indication and no warning
so in this instance it's clearly the driver's fault.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

"Noddy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Well you've seen how we dress, right?

> Yeah, I have, and I've always found it strange.
>
> I mean, is there some unwritten law somewhere that states week-end bike
> riders *must* get dressed up like a packet of licorice allsorts, or is it
> just because they're "special"? :)
>
> --
> Regards,
> Noddy.

As a long-time MTBer I have to agree with you (here we go- MTB vs roadies!)
I look like an egg in an egg cup in lycra, so I wear cycling shorts. I've
never seen the need to lycra up - I frighten old ladies and small children!
I also commute in a polo shirt or similar. No need for the tight stuff - my
body's as aerodynamic as a wardrobe. No benefit from advertising all the
stuff I don't use anyway. On the odd occasion I do slip into my lycra stuff
I feel like I should be wearing a racing suit when I drive...

me - tongue firmly in cheek - who gives a stuff anyway? Wear what you
want... :)

"Rainbow Warrior" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Kim Hawtin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Rainbow Warrior wrote:
> >> "Ray Peace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

< Other stuff chopped out...>

> Just because the wife uses it for 10kms a day shopping and picking kids up
> while hubsband has Corolla at work, doesn't mean it doesn't get used

offroad
> on weekends. We are down to forcing families to buy a 3rd vehicle just to

do
> 50km a week.

10kms a day for kids + shopping? That means everything must be pretty near
by. Why not let the kids ride their bikes to school and fit some panniers to
a shopping bike for the missus? Do the heavy shopping once a week with the
car... That's what we do and it works fine.

Frank

"D Walford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Resound wrote:
> > "D Walford" <[email protected]> wrote in message

<SNIP Resound's stuff>

> So smaller brakes and tyres would be better?

That's a plainly dumb comment.

> NRMA did some stopping distance testing and whilst in some circumstances
> the Landcruiser took longer to stop there isn't much in it, at slower
> speeds it matched the Commodore.
> http://www.nrma.com.au/pub/nrma/motor/car-research/stop_distance.shtml
> You also ignored what I said about reaction times but thats no surprise.
>

> Daryl

"...in some circumstances the Landcruiser took longer to stop" translates
as: "...in some circumstances the Landcruiser hit things that the Commodore
stopped before hitting."

Frank

"Noons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<Resound's comments snipped>

> Once again, showing total prejudice and complete and
> utter ignorance of real facts.
>
> Most 4wds in the market nowadays (and CERTAINLY most of the
> so-called "toorak tractors") have ABS brakes. Which makes them
> a lot better in braking distance than most sedans without them.

Bollox. ABS helps those who know no better than to stand on the brakes as
their version of an emergency stop. Proper braking technique involves
squeezing the brake pedal and controlling your vehicle (yes - I've done
advanced driving courses and rally/race training). If you're relying on ABS
to stop your vehicle from hitting things (me included!) please stay off the
road.

> As confirmed by the multitude of bumps I've had to get fixed on
> the rear of my Rav4 and the rear of the wife's Prado simply
> because the idiots driving "safe" sedans behind us cannot break
> in as short a distance.
>
> Yes, I AM fully aware that ABS does not reduce absolute
> braking distance. That's not what it does.
>
> You really don't have a clue of reality, do you?
> I suggest you stay on the physics department "research"
> and leave real life to people who actually have to live it.

Daft sod...

Frank

"Noons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> TimC wrote:
> >
> > Getting thrown up into the air, where some of the energy of the impact
> > can be disippated without injury, and crashing to ground (and
> > hopefully not getting run over by a truck following the impacting
> > vehicle) can well be less harmful that absorpting all of the energy of
> > impact in the few milliseconds it takes for an impact to happen.

> I'm quite sure those with head injuries from hitting the ground
> will agree with you...

Could well be. At least they are around to disagree. It's harder to express
an opinion from a box 6 feet under...

Frank

"Noons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Resound wrote some comments which I've snipped>

Noons squawked:
> It does NOT make ONE little bit of difference! ANY vehicle
> on the road MUCH heavier than a person WILL be lethal if it
> hits said person. Get real with the "4wds kill people" nonsense!
> ANY motor vehicle WILL kill people!

Again - Bollox. I've been hit by while I was walking on a footpath. The car
hit me without any evidence of braking and teh driver didn't stop. I was
thrown up and over the car and ended up with a couple of bruises. Lucky (or
unlucky to be hit in the first place!)

That means any motor vehcile CAN kill people not "WILL" kill people. There's
a difference. What can be done, and what most of this thread seems to me to
be about is decreasing the likelihood of harm in a collision and avoiding
collisions in the first place.

Another point: I really do think your statement should be further amended to
" any driver can kill people..." It's not necessarlily the Toorak Taxi
that's under attack - it's the mentality of the people who buy and use a
(generic term) Landcruiser in the way described by "Toorak Taxi". People
with that outlook should not have the privilege of using the roads we all
use. Removing the Toorak Taxi won't help all that much beyond decreasing the
impact in a collision (assuming the drivers are forced into smaller
vehicles). We're all still at risk from the same person driving another
vehicle.

Frank

Plodder wrote:
> "Noons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> <Resound's comments snipped>
>
>>Once again, showing total prejudice and complete and
>>utter ignorance of real facts.
>>
>>Most 4wds in the market nowadays (and CERTAINLY most of the
>>so-called "toorak tractors") have ABS brakes. Which makes them
>>a lot better in braking distance than most sedans without them.

> Bollox. ABS helps those who know no better than to stand on the brakes as
> their version of an emergency stop. Proper braking technique involves
> squeezing the brake pedal and controlling your vehicle (yes - I've done
> advanced driving courses and rally/race training). If you're relying on ABS
> to stop your vehicle from hitting things (me included!) please stay off the
> road.

On an advanced course at calder. I was the only one who evaded the
simulated accident. Brake and swerve on damp track.

In a 1967 Austin Healey sprite. One of about 4 cars on the day without
ABS. (which was rather rare then in general)

>>As confirmed by the multitude of bumps I've had to get fixed on
>>the rear of my Rav4 and the rear of the wife's Prado simply
>>because the idiots driving "safe" sedans behind us cannot break
>>in as short a distance.
>>
>>Yes, I AM fully aware that ABS does not reduce absolute
>>braking distance. That's not what it does.
>>
>>You really don't have a clue of reality, do you?
>>I suggest you stay on the physics department "research"
>>and leave real life to people who actually have to live it.

> Daft sod...
>
> Frank

Would have loved to have seen a big 4wd try that. Funnily no one had
one. Anyone want to have a go? I,ll run the video ( from a long way
away)

>. That's what we do and it works fine.
here we go again, someone telling other people how to run their
lives..

>Bollox. ABS helps those who know no better than to stand on the brakes as their version of an emergency stop.
Kid jumps out infront of you within a distance you know yor not going
to stop (not that you would at the time), natural reaction is to stand
on the picks - 99% of the population would do it. Yes ive done
advanced driving courses, drove trailers round the place for 10 yrs...
since you have done that same training, you should also know that its
true.

>If you're relying on ABS to stop your vehicle from hitting things (me included!) please stay off the road.

Where did he say that?

>Did you read the rest of that?
Was there any point after that uneducated remark?

> Yes, bigger brakes are a good thing but only with regards to cooling.

My god, I actually think you believe this...

Birdman said:
>. That's what we do and it works fine.
here we go again, someone telling other people how to run their
lives..

Suggesting a different viewpoint or a different way of doing things is not telling someone how to run their lives. It's a suggestion, nothing more, nothing less.

atec wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>
> >atec wrote:

> >>Try Browns Plains to Richlands at 6 am..not going to happen.
> >> or in my case with 500 kg or tools and another 300kg or materials ..
> >>thats going to be hard on a bus.
> >>

> >Right. So you ignored everything else I wrote. Cool.
> >

> Nah , just telling you Brisbane is one of the worst cities for public
> transport in the western world I have ever seen , but if you are an
> office nonworker then you will be fine .

Yeah, and your taxes pay for me to do this.
Ain't life grand?

Kim Hawtin wrote:

> atec wrote:
> > Tamyka Bell wrote:
> >> I travel east-west by public transport. It's easy. Unless you meant way
> >> out west... a few hours...

> a mate of mine lived near Indooroopili and there were two bus runs per
> day. one to the CBD leaving around 830 and one from the CBD ariving
> arroung 4pm!

<snip>
Indooroopilly? Try the train.
Tam

dave wrote:

> Noons wrote:
> > TimC wrote:
> >
> >>Getting thrown up into the air, where some of the energy of the impact
> >>can be disippated without injury, and crashing to ground (and
> >>hopefully not getting run over by a truck following the impacting
> >>vehicle) can well be less harmful that absorpting all of the energy of
> >>impact in the few milliseconds it takes for an impact to happen.

> > I'm quite sure those with head injuries from hitting the ground
> > will agree with you...

> silly argument. You hit your head in a 6 foot fall it will do all the
> damage of .. a 6 foot fall. (survivable enough if you avoid hitting your
> head) You hit your head on someones grill at 60 kph clearly it will
> do more.
>
> You may be just as dead.. but in the second case it will be messier.

If you go up in the air and aren't unconsious, you've got a good chance
of preparing yourself so you don't fall too badly. I've fallen from a
trapeze and ended up with a bruised, stiff back for 2 weeks and no
concussion or breaks. If you're unconscious... ew.

Tam

atec wrote:
<snip>
> even Wellington to Petone at 5 am... Brisbane to anywhere is damned
> near impossible , but then Ozzies like driving more than many

Agree entirely. There's a big love affair with driving. Driving bores
me!

Tam

MichaelB wrote:

> Noons Wrote:
> > Resound wrote:
> >
> > > Ah, so you weren't paying attention in high school. I went hunting

> > for
> > > braking distances, but the manufacturers of 4WDs seem remarkably

> > reluctant
> > > to publish them. All I could find was vaguely worded comparisons such

> > as
> > > "more than 10 metres longer". Still, bigger brakes mean very little

> > in an
> > > emergency stopping situation. If you can bring the tyres up to the

> > point of
> > > locking, that's all the braking you're going to get. Bigger brakes

> > are great
> > > for stopping hard repeatedly because they're effective heat sinks and

> > heat
> > > radiators. The real telling points are the type of tyres, brake bias

> > and
> > > amount of weight transfer. You're saying that a vehicle that's front

> > heavy,
> > > overweight, and driving on balloon like tyres designed to be a

> > compromise
> > > between offroad and onroad behaviour has a braking ADVANTAGE? I

> > suppose the
> > > high centre of gravity and long travel suspension means that they

> > corner
> > > harder than a road car too. Wishful thinking won't make it so, no

> > matter how
> > > hard you screw up your eyes and promise Santa you'll be good.

> > Once again, showing total prejudice and complete and
> > utter ignorance of real facts.
> >
> > Most 4wds in the market nowadays (and CERTAINLY most of the
> > so-called "toorak tractors") have ABS brakes. Which makes them
> > a lot better in braking distance than most sedans without them.
> >
> > As confirmed by the multitude of bumps I've had to get fixed on
> > the rear of my Rav4 and the rear of the wife's Prado simply
> > because the idiots driving "safe" sedans behind us cannot break
> > in as short a distance.
> >
> > Yes, I AM fully aware that ABS does not reduce absolute
> > braking distance. That's not what it does.
> >
> > You really don't have a clue of reality, do you?
> > I suggest you stay on the physics department "research"
> > and leave real life to people who actually have to live it...

> I dont know about your crappy country but here in the UK all new cars
> must have ABS by law.

<snip>

ABS is one of those nice things that makes life easier for good drivers
but isn't really necessary if you were correctly taught how to break and
steer. As assessed when I did break and steer testing at Mt Cotton and
stopped in the same distance. Perhaps UK drivers are just **** at
braking?

Tam