Re: Blood pressure variability seems almost random

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. David Cook wrote:

    > I work out every other day at my local YMCA. They have
    > some blood pressure monitor equipment there, and I got
    > curious a few months ago (after a news story tried to tell us
    > that many more of us are 'in warning zone').
    >
    > The YMCA has both the old 'manual' style cuff (where a
    > stethoscope is also then used) and a more modern 'automatic'
    > style (with a digital readout). So, I've been having it checked every
    > few times.
    >
    > The results are HIGHLY VARIABLE!!! <snip>

    It shouldn't be. Would suggest you see your doctor. S/he should be willing to
    teach you about how to take blood pressure properly and to go over what things
    might make your blood pressure highly variable (including poor technique).

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

    Tags:

  2. Owen Lowe

    Owen Lowe Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It shouldn't be. Would suggest you see your doctor. S/he should be willing
    > teach you about how to take blood pressure properly and to go over what
    > things
    > might make your blood pressure highly variable (including poor technique).

    Just this morning I had a followup BP test - new doc who wasn't
    convinced with my white coat anxiety excuses at the initial visit last
    week (142/70) - (I could feel my heart beating in my chest as I sat in
    the exam room).

    Today, the nurse recorded a first reading of 156/72; then used my auto
    monitor to check how similar it is to her manual readings, 140/68;
    retested using her manual cuff, 132/70; one last test with her manual,
    144/70. All this within a few minutes.

    My cardiologist said not to worry about the upper figure as it
    fluctuates substantially throughout the day, all dependent on stress,
    exertion levels and things like caffeine & salt intake.

    BTW, my home readings with the auto unit are routinely <=115/70. To the
    original poster, buy a reputable unit (mine cost about $60, Consumer
    Reports did a test a couple months back on home BP units - even manually
    doing it is simple and relatively inexpensive) then track your results
    at the same time of day over several months. I suspect the variablity in
    operators, time of day and/or environmental stresses may have something
    to do with your variables.