Re: BMX wheels for recumbent tandem use?

Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman

Guest
Jeff Wills wrote:
> The Rhyno Lite would be well-matched with a 1.3" to 1.5" wide tire. If
> you were going wider (say, 1.75" to 2.1"), a Sun Big City rim might be
> a better match. I've ridden with Screamer teams that rode on 28mm wide
> Continental front tires....

Do these people have a death wish, or are they both very small people? I
found the 28-406 Conti GP to be a marginal tire on the REAR of a single
recumbent, and a 32-406 Primo Comet to be marginal on the front of a
RANS Rocket. One decent hit on a pothole or a larger piece of gravel at
speed on the Screamer will have the Conti GP pinch flatted, and the bike
will almost certainly go down after that. Yikes.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

On Aug 28, 6:31 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Jeff Wills wrote:
> > The Rhyno Lite would be well-matched with a 1.3" to 1.5" wide tire. If
> > you were going wider (say, 1.75" to 2.1"), a Sun Big City rim might be
> > a better match. I've ridden with Screamer teams that rode on 28mm wide
> > Continental front tires....

> Do these people have a death wish, or are they both very small people?

Well, both riders were smaller than me... but that goes for 99% of the
people in the U.S. The captain was average size- 5-foot-9, IIRC. He
was also an airline pilot (and claimed to be ex-Air Force), so he had
some smarts. As far as I can tell he's still around, but I haven't
ridden with them for a couple years.

I agree that the Continental isn't a good choice for a tandem. I
never saw it fail, though.

Jeff