Re: Boris Johnson's bike stolen

Dave Larrington

Guest
In news:[email protected],
Nick <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

> These crimes are not victimless. Inconsiderate parking does cause a
> problem. Road space is valuable and it is fair that people pay to use
> it.

Larrington Towers is situated on a T junction, where a one-way side road
joins a slightly larger one. On either side of the side road, just before
the junction, the pavement is widened, in order that They could plant a
tree[1]. On it.

A couple of years ago, They very sensibly decided to paint double yellow
lines at the junction. Fair enough on the main road, but they extended them
round the junction where, due to Their attempts at tree husbandry, there is
insufficient space to park while still allowing another motor vehicle to
pass. And further, the lines extend right round the tree and about six
inches along the wider part of the side road.

Prior to the lines being painted, I would park my motorcar on the right of
the side road, with its offside front wheel touching the kerb where it
swings out to pass around the tree. And I continued so to do until the day
I came home and found that Their parking Nazis had given me a ticket. So
now I have to reverse a few inches and line up the door pillar with a crack
in the pavement instead. Thereby saving no road space whatsoever and making
it difficult to get my bike in the back of the car if Mr Patel next door has
parked his gert big van a foot further forward than is his wont.

I am at a loss to work out who the victim of this particular "crime" was.
Certainly not J. Random Pedestrian, since there was plenty of space for
him/her to pass between the tree and my motorcar.

1 - which looks suspiciously as though it's undermining my sheds, but that's
another story

--
Dave Larrington
All your call centre are belong to us.

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In news:[email protected],
> Nick <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
>
>> These crimes are not victimless. Inconsiderate parking does cause a
>> problem. Road space is valuable and it is fair that people pay to use
>> it.

> Larrington Towers is situated on a T junction, where a one-way side road
> joins a slightly larger one. On either side of the side road, just before
> the junction, the pavement is widened, in order that They could plant a
> tree[1]. On it.
>
> A couple of years ago, They very sensibly decided to paint double yellow
> lines at the junction. Fair enough on the main road, but they extended them
> round the junction where, due to Their attempts at tree husbandry, there is
> insufficient space to park while still allowing another motor vehicle to
> pass. And further, the lines extend right round the tree and about six
> inches along the wider part of the side road.
>
> Prior to the lines being painted, I would park my motorcar on the right of
> the side road, with its offside front wheel touching the kerb where it
> swings out to pass around the tree. And I continued so to do until the day
> I came home and found that Their parking Nazis had given me a ticket. So
> now I have to reverse a few inches and line up the door pillar with a crack
> in the pavement instead. Thereby saving no road space whatsoever and making
> it difficult to get my bike in the back of the car if Mr Patel next door has
> parked his gert big van a foot further forward than is his wont.
>
> I am at a loss to work out who the victim of this particular "crime" was.
> Certainly not J. Random Pedestrian, since there was plenty of space for
> him/her to pass between the tree and my motorcar.
>
> 1 - which looks suspiciously as though it's undermining my sheds, but that's
> another story

Now if somebody would happen to pass by with a brush and black paint... ;)

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

In news:[email protected],
M-gineering <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

> Now if somebody would happen to pass by with a brush and black
> paint... ;)

When I had my new Sheds built, the Allbanian buillders spilled a load of
white paint in precisely the right spot. Unfortunately it was water-based
emulsion, so it didn't last long :-(

--
Dave Larrington
Here, take these cheese-shaped stilts. You'll know when to use