Re: Boris Johnson's bike stolen

Just zis Guy, you know?

Guest
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:13:58 +0100, Matt B
<"matt.bourke"@nospam.london.com> said in
<[email protected]>:

>Well, according to the Home Office[1], vehicle crime does account for
>25% of /all/ recorded crime, and cost £3 billion pounds last year - and
>what /are/ they doing about it?

Prosecuting a decent number of the criminals, judging from the
bleating in the Daily Mail.

Oh, no, of course - it's only crimes /against/ motorists you want
dealt with, isn't it?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:13:58 +0100, Matt B
> <"matt.bourke"@nospam.london.com> said in
> <[email protected]>:
>
>> Well, according to the Home Office[1], vehicle crime does account for
>> 25% of /all/ recorded crime, and cost £3 billion pounds last year - and
>> what /are/ they doing about it?

> Prosecuting a decent number of the criminals, judging from the
> bleating in the Daily Mail.

I'll have to take your word for that - that is not a publication I ever
read.

> Oh, no, of course - it's only crimes /against/ motorists you want
> dealt with, isn't it?

So you agree then that although the easy to process offences created
specifically to punish motorists continue to produce a decent stream of
revenue, that those criminals who commit crimes against motorists are
left largely unchallenged.

--
Matt B

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 08:55:32 +0100, Matt B
<[email protected]>:

>So you agree then that although the easy to process offences created
>specifically to punish motorists continue to produce a decent stream of
>revenue, that those criminals who commit crimes against motorists are
>left largely unchallenged

Nope. The vast majority of crimes committed by motorists go
completely unpunished and pretty much always have, the vast majority
of crimes committed against motorists, including TWOCing, leaving
the scene and other such malfeasance, are pursued with considerable
vigour. Reporting a stolen bike - or even an incident of harassment
against a cyclist - is very close to a complete waste of time.
Reporting a stolen car or an incident of road rage against a
motorist is not. And only a complete imbecile would even pretend
otherwise, given the evidence in the news reports and police
statistics, so I'll assume that as you are pretending to ignorance
for inflammatory purposes rather than simply being ignorant.
Although other comments made by you would indicate that I may be
wrong in this.

I remember you now. I was hoping you'd have grown up enough to
discover girls by now, or at least wanking, but apparently not. What
happened to my kill filter? Ah yes, there it is...

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 08:55:32 +0100, Matt B
> <"matt.bourke"@nospam.london.com> said in
> <[email protected]>:
>
>> So you agree then that although the easy to process offences created
>> specifically to punish motorists continue to produce a decent stream of
>> revenue, that those criminals who commit crimes against motorists are
>> left largely unchallenged

> Nope. The vast majority of crimes committed by motorists go
> completely unpunished and pretty much always have,

That depends upon your precise definition of "crime". We know that most
motoring offences are technical in nature, and do not result in
casualties. The majority of infringements of these /do/ go unpunished,
agreed. However, it is also these offences which generate the huge
revenue stream from automated "prosecutions".

> the vast majority
> of crimes committed against motorists, including TWOCing, leaving
> the scene and other such malfeasance, are pursued with considerable
> vigour.

Hang-on, car thefts, are "pursed", but only "with vigour" if they are
high-value exec cars, or if the perpetrators use them for "joy riding"
and thus the prospect of a high-speed chase, and a change to mobilise
the helicopter, is available to the police. "Normal" crimes against low
value vehicles, theft of items from inside, vandalism such as aerial or
wiper damage, tyre slashings, etc. are usually added to the huge pile
which are "waiting for a crime number to be issued".

> Reporting a stolen bike - or even an incident of harassment
> against a cyclist - is very close to a complete waste of time.

Like most crime against vehicles, and against motorists then.

> Reporting a stolen car or an incident of road rage against a
> motorist is not.

Eh?

> And only a complete imbecile would even pretend
> otherwise,

Ha ha. What a clever arguing tactic.

> given the evidence in the news reports and police
> statistics,

Can you cite the "police statistics" to which you refer. The news
depends on your source. You, apparently a Daily Mail reader judging
from another of your posts, may not be getting the "whole picture".

> so I'll assume that as you are pretending to ignorance
> for inflammatory purposes rather than simply being ignorant.

Another gem!

> Although other comments made by you would indicate that I may be
> wrong in this.

Ah. Which "other comments" may they be then?

> I remember you now.

From where?

[snipped childish and offensive personal attack]

Is that a speciality of yours? Perhaps it is the only way you can "win"
arguments.

--
Matt B

On 2007-08-04, Matt B <"matt.bourke"@nospam.london.com> wrote:
> the helicopter, is available to the police. "Normal" crimes against low
> value vehicles, theft of items from inside, vandalism such as aerial or
> wiper damage, tyre slashings, etc. are usually added to the huge pile
> which are "waiting for a crime number to be issued".

Yes, and having had my car broken into and items stolen from inside (as
well as the perps rifling through everything to find the unlock card for
the radio, which was safely on my person), I've experienced this first
hand. That was in Bristol. If only the police pursued thievery like this
with the zeal that they enforce parking regulations.

Fortunately, things are different where I live now, and the police do
indeed pursue petty crime with zeal.