Re: Breakfast

Pizen

Guest
Dog3 wrote:
> I'm bored with eggs. I've made too many things with them. I decided
> to make cheese grits this morning. Shredded cheddar, a bit of
> chopped
> bacon, scalions and baked. Oh, lots of butter. Delish. But I love
> grits. I know there are grits haters and beet haters on this group
> :)
>
> Michael

IMHO, people who hate grits simply haven't had them prepared properly.
But I am a Southerner, and thus may be biased on this subject (no -
you think?). In fact, a slice or three of country ham, with grits and
red eye gravy and fresh hot biscuits, makes the perfect breakfast as
far as I'm concerned. And as far as non-breakfast uses are concerned,
I've been known to serve pork chops with fresh greens, biscuits, and
fried grits for supper. Or grilled deviled shrimp with rat cheese
grits 'n' andouille. I think I'm drooling on the keyboard!

--
"Life is hard. Life is harder when you're stupid". - John Wayne

"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with
bloodshed" - Mao Zedong

'99 FLHRCI

Remove 74 before replying

Dog3 wrote:

> I like everything you listed. How do you prepare the andouille? I
> like
> country ham too. I've not done grits with the ham, it's usually some
> kind of potato, with cheese of course ;)
>
> Michael

If I have some leftover already cooked (not likely), I just dice it up
and throw it in after I've sauteed some onion and garlic with the
grits after the water's come to a boil. I like cooking andouille out
on the BGE - it keeps the mess inside down and a little extra smoky
flavor certainly doesn't hurt. Presuming that I have to cook it
inside then use it, I dice it up and saute' the andouille with a
little onion, and then some garlic. Put on the water, then the grits,
then you're good to go. I know some people cook grits in milk, but I
don't see the point. Sure, they may be a bit creamier than cooking in
water, but that's what butter's for!

--

On Thu 03 Mar 2005 09:32:55a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Pizen" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> Dog3 wrote:
>>> I'm bored with eggs. I've made too many things with them. I decided
>>> to make cheese grits this morning. Shredded cheddar, a bit of chopped
>>> bacon, scalions and baked. Oh, lots of butter. Delish. But I love
>>> grits. I know there are grits haters and beet haters on this group
>>> :)
>>>
>>> Michael

>> IMHO, people who hate grits simply haven't had them prepared properly.
>> But I am a Southerner, and thus may be biased on this subject (no -
>> you think?). In fact, a slice or three of country ham, with grits and
>> red eye gravy and fresh hot biscuits, makes the perfect breakfast as
>> far as I'm concerned. And as far as non-breakfast uses are concerned,
>> I've been known to serve pork chops with fresh greens, biscuits, and
>> fried grits for supper. Or grilled deviled shrimp with rat cheese
>> grits 'n' andouille. I think I'm drooling on the keyboard!
>>

> I like everything you listed. How do you prepare the andouille? I like
> country ham too. I've not done grits with the ham, it's usually some kind
> of potato, with cheese of course ;)
>
> Michael

Michael you've got to try some slices of country ham, fried, then make the
red-eye gravy to use over the ham and grits. It's pure nirvana to most
southerners.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974