Re: Breakfast

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Pizen, Mar 2, 2005.

  1. Pizen

    Pizen Guest

    Dog3 wrote:
    > I'm bored with eggs. I've made too many things with them. I decided
    > to make cheese grits this morning. Shredded cheddar, a bit of
    > chopped
    > bacon, scalions and baked. Oh, lots of butter. Delish. But I love
    > grits. I know there are grits haters and beet haters on this group
    > :)
    >
    > Michael

    IMHO, people who hate grits simply haven't had them prepared properly.
    But I am a Southerner, and thus may be biased on this subject (no -
    you think?). In fact, a slice or three of country ham, with grits and
    red eye gravy and fresh hot biscuits, makes the perfect breakfast as
    far as I'm concerned. And as far as non-breakfast uses are concerned,
    I've been known to serve pork chops with fresh greens, biscuits, and
    fried grits for supper. Or grilled deviled shrimp with rat cheese
    grits 'n' andouille. I think I'm drooling on the keyboard!

    --
    "Life is hard. Life is harder when you're stupid". - John Wayne

    "Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with
    bloodshed" - Mao Zedong

    '99 FLHRCI

    Remove 74 before replying

    Tags:

  2. Pizen

    Pizen Guest

    Dog3 wrote:

    > I like everything you listed. How do you prepare the andouille? I
    > like
    > country ham too. I've not done grits with the ham, it's usually some
    > kind of potato, with cheese of course ;)
    >
    > Michael

    If I have some leftover already cooked (not likely), I just dice it up
    and throw it in after I've sauteed some onion and garlic with the
    grits after the water's come to a boil. I like cooking andouille out
    on the BGE - it keeps the mess inside down and a little extra smoky
    flavor certainly doesn't hurt. Presuming that I have to cook it
    inside then use it, I dice it up and saute' the andouille with a
    little onion, and then some garlic. Put on the water, then the grits,
    then you're good to go. I know some people cook grits in milk, but I
    don't see the point. Sure, they may be a bit creamier than cooking in
    water, but that's what butter's for!

    --

  3. On Thu 03 Mar 2005 09:32:55a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > "Pizen" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Dog3 wrote:
    >>> I'm bored with eggs. I've made too many things with them. I decided
    >>> to make cheese grits this morning. Shredded cheddar, a bit of chopped
    >>> bacon, scalions and baked. Oh, lots of butter. Delish. But I love
    >>> grits. I know there are grits haters and beet haters on this group
    >>> :)
    >>>
    >>> Michael

    >> IMHO, people who hate grits simply haven't had them prepared properly.
    >> But I am a Southerner, and thus may be biased on this subject (no -
    >> you think?). In fact, a slice or three of country ham, with grits and
    >> red eye gravy and fresh hot biscuits, makes the perfect breakfast as
    >> far as I'm concerned. And as far as non-breakfast uses are concerned,
    >> I've been known to serve pork chops with fresh greens, biscuits, and
    >> fried grits for supper. Or grilled deviled shrimp with rat cheese
    >> grits 'n' andouille. I think I'm drooling on the keyboard!
    >>

    > I like everything you listed. How do you prepare the andouille? I like
    > country ham too. I've not done grits with the ham, it's usually some kind
    > of potato, with cheese of course ;)
    >
    > Michael

    Michael you've got to try some slices of country ham, fried, then make the
    red-eye gravy to use over the ham and grits. It's pure nirvana to most
    southerners.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974