Re: Brooks B17 saddle

Martin Bulmer

Guest
Nick. wrote:
> I have just bought a B17 on recommendation from a friend as a
> replacement saddle for my Dawes Galaxy.
>
> On getting home and taking a closer look at the saddle, I notice
> there is a very sharp ridge, running along the boundary between the
> "seat" and "vertical" areas of the saddle. This ridge is perhaps 0.5
> - 1mm, but sharp enough to cause a slight graze should you scrape it
> across your skin. It looks like it could be quite painful on a ride.
>
> This is obviously part of the leather moulding process, but I would
> like to know: Is it normal? Will it ease out during the breaking-in
> period, or is this a case of poor production? I.e. Should I fit it to
> the bike & start applying Proofide and hope that the ridge will
> disappear during breaking in, or should I return the saddle to the
> bike shop?
>
> Any comments from Brooks owners appreciated...
>
> Nick

I have 2. One about 5 years old, one 3 weeks old. Both have a ridge about
0.5mm, smoother on the older one, but certainly not sharp on the new one,
and neither causes any discomfort. If yours is sharp, it doesn't sound
right. Don't be put off by the suggestion that it takes 300 miles to break
in. It might, but mine were more comfortable than the gel saddles they
replaced from day one.
--

Martin Bulmer