Re: BTW (off subject)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steven L. Sheffield, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. On 04/02/2004 10:11 PM, in article
    [email protected], "Tom Kunich"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sheffield - it didn't take Spanish terrorists long to start bombing again
    > did it? Do you suppose this is more of that evil Moroccan terrorists group's
    > work?

    Islamic terrorists, not Spanish. And yes, I do suppose it is "more of that
    evil Moroccan terrorists group's work".

    From the BBC:

    Mr Acebes said: "Our investigation is focusing on two strands: determining
    the leaders of the organisation and links to terrorist and fundamentalist
    groups, particularly the Moroccan Islamic Combatant Group."

    "Other options are not being ruled out, but primarily the investigation is
    going to go in this direction," he told a news conference.

    Mr Acebes said among those detained were several alleged authors of the
    attacks and several accomplices with various degrees of responsibility.

    According to the US State Department, the Moroccan Islamic Combatant Group
    emerged in the late 1990s.

    It says the group's aims include establishing an Islamic state in Morocco
    and that it supports al-Qaeda's holy war against the West.

    > Or, like I said, the EFFECTS of that first bombing on the elections have now
    > given terrorists heart to believe that they can achieve their most prized
    > goals with enough violence against innocent civilians?

    The Spanish Government seems to feel like it's Islamic terrorists, whom we
    already know have no qualms against attacking innocent civilians.

    There's still no solid evidence that it was ETA, either on March 11 or
    today, despite your previous insistence otherwise.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

    Tags:

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BC93AAEF.2A42E%[email protected]

    > "Other options are not being ruled out, but primarily the investigation

    is
    > going to go in this direction," he told a news conference.

    Hmm, "other options".

    > It says the group's aims include establishing an Islamic state in Morocco
    > and that it supports al-Qaeda's holy war against the West.

    Well, hell, no wonder they're bombing Spain where the effects are bound to
    found an Islamic state in Morocco.

    > > Or, like I said, the EFFECTS of that first bombing on the elections have

    now
    > > given terrorists heart to believe that they can achieve their most

    prized
    > > goals with enough violence against innocent civilians?

    > The Spanish Government seems to feel like it's Islamic terrorists, whom we
    > already know have no qualms against attacking innocent civilians.
    >
    > There's still no solid evidence that it was ETA, either on March 11 or
    > today, despite your previous insistence otherwise.

    There's no solid evidence save the fact that Spain is a nothing country on
    the Iberian peninsula whose only claim to fame is that they have a Basque
    Separatist movement who are willing to kill civilians to effect government
    policies.

    Spaniards are about the nicest people in the world and have been since Great
    Britain knocked the crap out of them during a few God-sent storms. That
    terrorists are willing to do this to Spain should be a pretty fair warning
    to the rest of the world.

    Whether it's a home grown terrorist movement or some lunatic Moroccan
    movement that doesn't have their eyes focused on any real results save dead
    bodies becomes rather a moot point. To terrorists the only way they can lose
    to be prevented from killing other people and unfortunately there's only one
    way to do that.

  3. On 04/03/2004 04:22 PM, in article
    [email protected], "Tom Kunich"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well, hell, no wonder they're bombing Spain where the effects are bound to
    > found an Islamic state in Morocco.

    Morocco is a former Spanish colony, and the Spaniards still own and maintain
    a chunk of Morocco across from Gibralter (a bit of Spain still owned by the
    British), in Ceuta and Melilla.

    To Moroccans, Spain is the nearest symbol of the West.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com
    veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
    ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee why you ti ay aitch
    double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  4. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <BC94C100.2A53C%[email protected]>,
    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 04/03/2004 04:22 PM, in article
    > [email protected], "Tom Kunich"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Well, hell, no wonder they're bombing Spain where the effects are bound to
    > > found an Islamic state in Morocco.

    > Morocco is a former Spanish colony, and the Spaniards still own and maintain
    > a chunk of Morocco across from Gibralter (a bit of Spain still owned by the
    > British), in Ceuta and Melilla.
    >
    > To Moroccans, Spain is the nearest symbol of the West.

    And to some of those Moroccans, Spain is also the nearest symbol of
    oppression, hence the attacks.

    The Islam that is practised there is pretty restrictive. An interesting
    look at it can be found in Anthony Bourdain's book "A Cook's Tour".

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Q: Why did the metalhead cross the road?
    A: Because he's a gullible moron who'll buy
    anything with a skull on it.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  5. gwhite

    gwhite Guest

    "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Spaniards are about the nicest people in the world and have been since Great
    > Britain knocked the crap out of them during a few God-sent storms.

    They were especially nice in eventual Mexico. Drake drove them off in
    1588, where on their way around the islands and back to Spain, the
    weather, winds, and current really punched them out. Mexico didn't
    become independent until 1820.

  6. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "gwhite" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Spaniards are about the nicest people in the world and have been since

    Great
    > > Britain knocked the crap out of them during a few God-sent storms.

    > They were especially nice in eventual Mexico. Drake drove them off in
    > 1588, where on their way around the islands and back to Spain, the
    > weather, winds, and current really punched them out. Mexico didn't
    > become independent until 1820.

    No wonder present day Moroccans are killing Spanish civilians.