Re: BUC 13 whos going?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by gkmac, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. gkmac

    gkmac Guest

    I'll be there, assuming I can navigate to Scarborough on the map. It
    will be my first ever BUC.

    I'm excited, but also rather nervous and doubtful. There's competitions
    for freestyle & trials, I don't do freestyle and am too much of a wimp
    for trials. There will be uni-hockey matches, I don't play hockey.
    There's other playground-style games, I never enjoyed playground-style
    games in my childhood and thus never will as an adult. Same for the
    races.

    I'd just go for the Muni, and then only cross-country terrain at that.
    I've only ridden about 4 miles and I feel ready for longer rides, but I
    can easily envisage ending up at the back of the group, with the
    experienced riders leaving me far far behind.

    Is there any hope for this rider who can barely even hop???

    --
    gkmac

    \"it's a marvellous thing to see, someone in full flight on the
    unicycle.\" - stuart maconie, radio 2
    gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577

  2. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    gkmac wrote:
    > I'll be there, assuming I can navigate to Scarborough on the map. It
    > will be my first ever BUC.
    >
    > I'm excited, but also rather nervous and doubtful. There's competitions
    > for freestyle & trials, I don't do freestyle and am too much of a wimp
    > for trials. There will be uni-hockey matches, I don't play hockey.
    > There's other playground-style games, I never enjoyed playground-style
    > games in my childhood and thus never will as an adult. Same for the
    > races.
    >
    > I'd just go for the Muni, and then only cross-country terrain at that.
    > I've only ridden about 4 miles and I feel ready for longer rides, but I
    > can easily envisage ending up at the back of the group, with the
    > experienced riders leaving me far far behind.
    >
    > Is there any hope for this rider who can barely even hop???

    There is much much more to BUC than the things you have mentioned here.
    I went to BUC last year and I could barely ride. I didn't enter the
    trials or freestyle comps, I didn't go on the Muni and I didn't play
    hockey.

    The thing with BUC is that loads of things go on at the same time. I
    rode almost all day. I went to various beginner's workshops. I learned
    loads of stuff from other people. I learned my first fledgling hops. I
    rode with some new friends. I was completely submerged in unicycling
    for the weekend and it was wonderful. I think it influenced the path of
    my learning.

    This year I am going to 'dance' in the ceilidh (or however you spell
    it) on my uni, I may go on the Muni and I will definately play loads of
    hockey. But most of all I will be imersed in unicycling, make some new
    unicycling friends and meet some old friends. I can't wait.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    Disclaimer: Everything I post (unless otherwise stated) is my own
    opinion, based on stuff that I've learned over the years.

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  3. last BUC was my first. i didnt do the trials. i did the freestyle and i
    did the hockey and i did the beginneres muni. i also did the ceilidh
    which was great fun. i went with matt last year and i had no idea who
    anyone was. this BUC will be so much better now i know people from the
    forum, and i reali want to meet you, cath :)

    gkmac: you will have a reali good time, even if you dont paricipate in
    freestyle or trials, im sure you would enjoy watching it. The whole
    experience of just being around loads of unicyclists and teaching each
    other new things is great and there is always a lot of workshops. even
    though i didnt know anyone, it was easy to talk to people so you soon
    make some new friends.

    --
    amanda.gallacher

    'my gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/dpa27)
    Fly04066814 - 'Amanda Rules!!'
    fcwegnm0b - 'Amanda you are awesome!'
    Chosen - 'i think...i...love amanda'
    [email protected] - add me
    amanda.gallacher's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10009

  4. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    amanda.gallacher wrote:
    > last BUC was my first. i didnt do the trials. i did the freestyle and i
    > did the hockey and i did the beginneres muni. i also did the ceilidh
    > which was great fun. i went with matt last year and i had no idea who
    > anyone was. this BUC will be so much better now i know people from the
    > forum, and i reali want to meet you, cath :)
    >
    > gkmac: you will have a reali good time, even if you dont paricipate in
    > freestyle or trials, im sure you would enjoy watching it. The whole
    > experience of just being around loads of unicyclists and teaching each
    > other new things is great and there is always a lot of workshops. even
    > though i didnt know anyone, it was easy to talk to people so you soon
    > make some new friends.

    It'll be nice to meet you too Amanda. Although I do vaugly remeber you
    from last year. Us girlies were slightly outnumbered.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  5. gkmac

    gkmac Guest

    amanda.gallacher wrote:
    > The whole experience of just being around loads of unicyclists and
    > teaching each other new things is great and there is always a lot of
    > workshops.

    Thank you lady miss Gallacher and madame cathwood for the encouragement,
    I'm not starting to think about what _positive_ things will come from
    this new experience.

    Amanda, I don't know if you remember me from November's Kidderminster
    unimeet (I was the one who asked you why Joe was going on about "romps"
    in that video) but I hardly did anything there, but it was still worth
    the journey just to get to meet and chat with other like-minded people.
    There's something magical about meeting people in the flesh after
    getting to know them on these forums, and I guess I'll be meeting
    plenty more.

    I've never been to a workshop yet, but I've picked up a few tips here
    and there from the 2 unimeets I've been to so far, such as when
    Loosemoose gave me a helping hand on my first Muni ride in Habberly
    Valley way back in July and also gave me my first feedback, remarking
    that I learned to cope with riding on rough ground pretty well. He also
    reckoned that my feeble hop heights were good (knowing all too well
    that he can hop much much higher) and demonstrated that after bending
    the knees with a low saddle, arching the back was a further way to hop
    even higher.

    And that was when I hopped on his Onza trials uni, the very first time
    this beginning rider got to even sit on a trials uni. This will be
    another advantage, I'm pretty sure I'll get the chance to ride on
    someone's 29er or Coker. Heck I've never even _seen_one_of_those_ in
    real life.

    Oh, and here comes the real reason for this thread bump. Time to start
    licking your stamps because...
    '-P-r-e---r-e-g-i-s-t-r-a-t-i-o-n- -i-s- -o-p-e-n-!-'-
    -(-h-t-t-p-:-/-/-w-w-w-.-u-n-i-c-y-c-l-e-.-o-r-g-.-u-k-/-b-u-c-1-3-/-r-e-g-i-s-t-r-a-t-i-o-n-.-h-t-m-)-

    --
    gkmac

    \"it's a marvellous thing to see, someone in full flight on the
    unicycle.\" - stuart maconie, radio 2
    gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577

  6. laura

    laura Guest

  7. gingerfreek

    gingerfreek Guest

    I should be going this year, itll be my fourth (time does fly), i might
    enter the freestyle again, depends if i feel up to competing against
    amanda!

    GK most people dont enter the freestyle or trials comps anyway. But you
    can still mess about on the trials course or trying out some freestyle,
    or whatever really!

    I would like to know who you are cathwood:confused: im sure ive met or
    seen you before but i probably didnt realise it!

    see y'all there,

    iain

    --
    gingerfreek

    I use my wheel as a weapon!
    gingerfreek's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3507

  8. s7ev0

    s7ev0 Guest

    It was my first last year, and I'm hoping to be there again this year,
    if I can get a car to replace the one I parked untidily in a ditch last
    week...

    My 10-year-old Joe will be riding this year, and maybe we can get his
    brother riding too.

    I think I'll be up for the hockey this year, and some of the games in
    the hall. As I didn't get my 24" for Crimbo I'll also be on the
    lookout for a go on one!

    Still riding my naff ebay cheapie with creaking broken spoke, so anyone
    who doesn't know me will hear me coming.

    --
    s7ev0

    DARWIN LOVES YOU

    -Avatar courtesy of Loosemoose. -
    s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

  9. unicycleboy

    unicycleboy Guest

    gingerfreek wrote:
    > I should be going this year, itll be my fourth (time does fly), i might
    > enter the freestyle again, depends if i feel up to competing against
    > amanda!
    >
    > GK most people dont enter the freestyle or trials comps anyway. But you
    > can still mess about on the trials course or trying out some freestyle,
    > or whatever really!
    >
    > I would like to know who you are cathwood:confused: im sure ive met or
    > seen you before but i probably didnt realise it!
    >
    > see y'all there,
    >
    > iain

    You stil have to enter ;) wil be a laugh and you can do your coasting.

    Cath werent you at the ast kidderminster unimeet?

    Trev

    --
    unicycleboy

    www.unicycleboy.unicyclist.com

    MMMM the Bishop

    http://tinyurl.com/afror
    unicycleboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/399

  10. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    unicycleboy wrote:
    > You stil have to enter ;) wil be a laugh and you can do your coasting.
    >
    > Cath werent you at the ast kidderminster unimeet?
    >
    > Trev

    I was.

    I remeber an extremely embarrassing incident when you passed the ball
    to me and I was so shocked at somebody actually doing that that I
    completely failed to hit it :eek: Obviously no one had told you how
    rubbish I was. I have to get some practice in before BUC. (Well it was
    only my second ever game).

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  11. dale_dale

    dale_dale Guest

    my dad might take me but is tehre anything for them to do... will they
    even have to come in with me or can they just go somewhere then pick me
    up??

    i rely wanna go and meet some of you guys and gals

    --
    dale_dale

    ___________
    dale_dale's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11459

  12. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    dale_dale wrote:
    > my dad might take me but is tehre anything for them to do... will they
    > even have to come in with me or can they just go somewhere then pick me
    > up??
    >
    > i rely wanna go and meet some of you guys and gals

    Ofcouse there's something for them to do - learn to unicycle. I drag my
    hubby and little boy along and will expect them to join in as best they
    can.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  13. dale_dale

    dale_dale Guest

    cathwood wrote:
    > Ofcouse there's something for them to do - learn to unicycle. I drag my
    > hubby and little boy along and will expect them to join in as best they
    > can.
    >
    > Cathy

    hahahahahaha my dad can hardly balance on his feet, i lowerd my seat
    for my mum once was funny she almost killed herself hahahaha oh well,
    nah but rely any ...... musiems or owt.

    My bro wants to learn though hes 17 im 16 btw

    --
    dale_dale

    ___________
    dale_dale's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11459

  14. unicycleboy

    unicycleboy Guest

    cathwood wrote:
    > I was.
    >
    > I remeber an extremely embarrassing incident when you passed the ball
    > to me and I was so shocked at somebody actually doing that that I
    > completely failed to hit it :eek: Obviously no one had told you how
    > rubbish I was. I have to get some practice in before BUC. (Well it was
    > only my second ever game).
    >
    > Cathy

    well i dont take hockey seriusly enough to start taking it as life or
    death :p you hit some of the balls that came your way.

    Trev

    --
    unicycleboy

    www.unicycleboy.unicyclist.com

    MMMM the Bishop

    http://tinyurl.com/afror
    unicycleboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/399

  15. phil

    phil Guest

    dale_dale wrote:
    > my dad might take me but is tehre anything for them to do... will they
    > even have to come in with me or can they just go somewhere then pick me
    > up??

    If they are outdoors-y people then Kinver Edge is a short walk down the
    road, and the Wyre Forest is a very short drive away.

    Failing that, employ them to distribute snacks and take photos... :)

    Phil

    --
    phil

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

  16. dale_dale

    dale_dale Guest

    i think hes gonna take me anyway.... like u said my parents can always
    take photos... my brotehr studys photography at collage im sure he
    would find it usefull.

    nah my mum and dad dont walk much... almost never.

    --
    dale_dale

    ___________
    dale_dale's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11459

  17. dale_dale

    dale_dale Guest

  18. phil

    phil Guest

    phil wrote:
    > If they are outdoors-y people then Kinver Edge is a short walk down the
    > road, and the Wyre Forest is a very short drive away.

    Of course, there's always the possibility that I could be getting the
    Kiddy unimeet and BUC threads mixed up. You -could- walk from
    Scarborough to Kinver if you really wanted, but it might take a week or
    so...

    Phil