Re: Burger wars

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Faux_Pseudo, Mar 9, 2006.

  1. Faux_Pseudo

    Faux_Pseudo Guest

    _.-In rec.food.cooking, Mark D wrote the following -._
    > Mc D's hasn't just got bad, they've been crap for the last 35 years.
    > Ever wonder why Mc D's now buys their Beef from Argentina?

    Argentina has really good beef. Argentinians know their beef, they
    eat more of it per capita than Americans do.

    > Their Burgers don't even taste like Beef anymore,

    That is because most of their burgers aren't beef. Unless it is one
    of the ones advertised as 'all beef' it is about half soy. The QP, BM
    and B&T are all beef but I think the rest are soy/meat mix.

    --
    .-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
    ' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to

    Tags:

  2. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Glitter Ninja" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >>Bun/meat ratio ... even if I used the same amount of beef as the
    >>fast food place, I'd use less bread.

    > I can't imagine being able to make a patty by hand that was as small
    > as a fast food patty.

    Heh, you have a point there. Even the frozen burgers you
    can get frozen in a box are thicker, aren't they?

    > My husband worked at a small town burger joint as
    > a kid, and his boss always bragged that they bought patties which were
    > 1/10th of a pound each, while McD's used patties which weighed 1/12th of
    > a pound. I have trouble keeping a patty that's 1/5th of a pound from
    > falling apart!

    See through burgers! What do they say (McDs) anyway, 1/4 lb
    (small print: before cooking) patties? By the time that is flattened
    to cover a bun, forget it. I have a third pound minimum rule, I
    think. And I would be surprised if I got that in a restaurant, they're
    usually much larger.

    nancy

  3. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Nancy Young wrote:
    >> "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote

    >> Look, I am the first to admit I have a fast food burger once
    >> in a while, I'm not ashamed. But I know full well even the *most*
    >> basic burger I could make at home would be a world better than
    >> what we're talking about.

    > Beef. Bread. What's to be better?

    So ... I'll just leave it here. Bob can't make a better burger
    using those two ingredients than McDonalds can. You win.

    nancy

  4. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-03-10, Bob (this one) <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Beef. Bread. What's to be better?

    Lettuce, tomato, cheese, relish, onions, condiments, etc.

    > Freshly cooked burgers from any of the burger places aren't dry, either.

    Since the new temperature/time rules eliminating the threat of e-coli
    have been instituted, burgers are cooked more done than I prefer.
    Another reason why moisture contributing elements like tomatoes and
    onions are more desirable than ever.

    > He deliberately made the patties square so
    > they'd stick out of the bun. Otherwise, same essential thing.

    Really? I thought it was to eliminate having to reprocess trim waste.

    > C'mon. *All* bun and sauce...?

    Yes. What else is a Quarter Pounder? Those 1-2 nasty pickle slices
    I'd toss? The slivered dehydrated onions one can barely see? The
    condiment stain covering maybe a third of the bun? Must be all those
    sesame seeds providing that superlative burger experience.

    > So we're not really talking about quality, but preferences.

    NO, quality. Good beef is better than poor beef. Good bread is
    better than plain-jane tasteless bread. Fresh cut onion slices are
    better than reconstituted onion slivers. Good condiments are better
    than bottom line barely-meet-legal-definition concoctions.

    > Not that the
    > meat is of inferior quality. Nor the bread. Just how to assemble it.

    Again, primarily quality. To me, McDonald's burger meat is just plain
    bad tasting. It may be 100% beef, but it's not beef I care to eat or
    pay money for. But yes, a burger is very much assembly. Hence, BK's
    "Your Way" campaign. I can't recall a single person at a backyard bbq
    or picnic ask for just a plain burger on a dry bun. I'm certain I've
    never seen rehydrated onion slivers or a ketchup airbrush. ;)

    nb

  5. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-03-10, Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote:

    > So ... I'll just leave it here. Bob can't make a better burger
    > using those two ingredients than McDonalds can.

    If he can't, it doesn't say much about his expertise as a restauranteer.

    nb

  6. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "notbob" <[email protected]> wrote

    > On 2006-03-10, Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> So ... I'll just leave it here. Bob can't make a better burger
    >> using those two ingredients than McDonalds can.

    > If he can't, it doesn't say much about his expertise as a restauranteer.

    I'd be quite surprised if he couldn't, so I don't even know what
    the discussion is about.

    nancy

  7. "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> writes:
    >Glitter Ninja wrote:

    >> I can't imagine being able to make a patty by hand that was as small
    >> as a fast food patty.

    >What a perfectly silly thing to say. All it takes is a scale.

    Right. I just can't do math, that's the problem.
    Or is it that you responded with a whiny little complaint before you
    read the whole post? Because later you comment on what I *really* said:

    >> I have trouble keeping a patty that's 1/5th of a pound from falling
    >> apart!

    See? Just in case you didn't get that, let me break it down for you,
    Sparky: It's not that I can't read a scale, it's that a small patty with
    no binder or fillers often falls apart. But who can argue with your
    definitive advice:

    >Really? Then just smoosh it together a bit more.

    OH WHAT A GREAT IDEA. THANK YOU MR. AMAZING COOKING MAN.
    Are you for real? You tell me to "smoosh" the meat more -- and I can
    assure you that I am very skilled at smooshing meat -- and then complain
    that:

    >And this kind of nonsense is exactly what I was talking about.

    Indeed. It's nonsense like your ridiculous claim that I don't know
    how to smoosh meat ("smoosh" being the scientific term) correctly that's
    the real problem here.

    Stacia

  8. Glitter Ninja wrote:
    > "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> writes:
    > >Glitter Ninja wrote:

    > OH WHAT A GREAT IDEA. THANK YOU MR. AMAZING COOKING MAN.
    > Are you for real? You tell me to "smoosh" the meat more -- and I can
    > assure you that I am very skilled at smooshing meat -- and then complain
    > that:
    >
    > >And this kind of nonsense is exactly what I was talking about.

    > Indeed. It's nonsense like your ridiculous claim that I don't know
    > how to smoosh meat ("smoosh" being the scientific term) correctly that's
    > the real problem here.

    <ob>
    I'm "smooshing" my "meat" rite now, baybee!
    </ob>

    <ducks and runs>

    --
    YOP...

  9. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in news:dus7nd$q00$1
    @news.monmouth.com:

    > "Glitter Ninja" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> writes:
    >>
    >>>Bun/meat ratio ... even if I used the same amount of beef as the
    >>>fast food place, I'd use less bread.

    >> I can't imagine being able to make a patty by hand that was as small
    >> as a fast food patty.

    > Heh, you have a point there. Even the frozen burgers you
    > can get frozen in a box are thicker, aren't they?
    >
    >> My husband worked at a small town burger joint as
    >> a kid, and his boss always bragged that they bought patties which were
    >> 1/10th of a pound each, while McD's used patties which weighed 1/12th

    of
    >> a pound. I have trouble keeping a patty that's 1/5th of a pound from
    >> falling apart!

    > See through burgers! What do they say (McDs) anyway, 1/4 lb
    > (small print: before cooking) patties? By the time that is flattened
    > to cover a bun, forget it. I have a third pound minimum rule, I
    > think. And I would be surprised if I got that in a restaurant, they're
    > usually much larger.
    >
    > nancy

    Correct if me I'm wrong but I was told that wendy's added some measure of
    water to the meat to make it steam cook.

    At BK, where I was the burger broiler feed and collect and assemble guy,
    way in my youth, the burgers were checkerboard stamped. I'd toss it on
    the broiler conveyor belt and then grab a bun off the other conveyor
    belt and then slap a burger into it and sit it on others of the same kind
    in covered steam ovens. The worst thing you could order was the double
    anythings cause most folks didn't order double burgers in my employ back
    then and they'd sit there for hours, until someone ordered a double and
    they grabbed one, possibly hours old, "do it your way" nuke it, and wrap
    it up for you.

    When I got lunch, I'd run two whopper burgers through the broiler twice
    and just bun it and eat it. That's as fresh as a double burger ever
    got!!!

    Andy

  10. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Glitter Ninja wrote:

    > I can't imagine being able to make a patty by hand that was as
    > small as a fast food patty. My husband worked at a small town burger
    > joint as a kid, and his boss always bragged that they bought patties
    > which were 1/10th of a pound each, while McD's used patties which
    > weighed 1/12th of a pound. I have trouble keeping a patty that's
    > 1/5th of a pound from falling apart!

    If you seriously ever want to make one like that, place the ground beef
    between sheets of plastic wrap or waxed paper and roll them out with
    rolling pin.

    Brian
    won't shut up.

  11. Rich Holmes

    Rich Holmes Guest

    "nimrod poindexter, idiot extraordinaire" <[email protected]> writes:

    > <ob>
    > I'm "smooshing" my "meat" rite now, baybee!
    > </ob>

    What the hell kind of way to welcome Stacia back after an absence of
    (according to Goolge) over four months is that? Now she's gonna think
    a.r.k is still full of humorless prats who grab at the most gratuitous
    Kontext-Away bait like it's Belgian chocolate, when in fact it's
    mostly just me. Oh, and that DeLaney guy. And Jeremy and, look, can
    I start over? Okay. What the hell kind of way to welcome Stacia back
    after an absence of, oh, fukkit. Enjoy r.f.c, Ninja!

    --
    - Doctroid Doctroid Holmes <http://www.richholmes.net/doctroid/>

    "But only with kibological dooomsday bombs do you get the authentic
    wacky boing." -- John D Salt

  12. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Who f***in crossposted this? Dammit.

  13. Glitter Ninja <[email protected]> wrote:

    EEEEEE!!!1!

    >"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> writes:
    >>Glitter Ninja wrote:

    eeeeee111!1

    >>> I can't imagine being able to make a patty by hand that was as small
    >>> as a fast food patty.

    >>What a perfectly silly thing to say. All it takes is a scale.

    > Right. I just can't do math, that's the problem.
    > Or is it that you responded with a whiny little complaint before you
    >read the whole post? Because later you comment on what I *really* said:
    >>> I have trouble keeping a patty that's 1/5th of a pound from falling
    >>> apart!

    > See? Just in case you didn't get that, let me break it down for you,
    >Sparky: It's not that I can't read a scale, it's that a small patty with
    >no binder or fillers often falls apart. But who can argue with your
    >definitive advice:
    >>Really? Then just smoosh it together a bit more.

    > OH WHAT A GREAT IDEA. THANK YOU MR. AMAZING COOKING MAN.
    > Are you for real? You tell me to "smoosh" the meat more -- and I can
    >assure you that I am very skilled at smooshing meat -- and then complain
    >that:
    >>And this kind of nonsense is exactly what I was talking about.

    > Indeed. It's nonsense like your ridiculous claim that I don't know
    >how to smoosh meat ("smoosh" being the scientific term) correctly that's
    >the real problem here.

    Oh. Oh oh oh. FEEL the hate. I'm bathing in its glorious black-and-white glow
    RIGHT NOW.

    We've missed you lotsnlots, Stacia!

    Dave "though we probably still have some of the persons and/or entities that
    you were previously embattling, ah well" DeLaney
    --
    \/David DeLaney posting from [email protected] "It's not the pot that grows the flower

  14. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > Who f***in crossposted this? Dammit.

    Glitter Ninja. To a troll group no less.

    --
    Reg

  15. "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> writes:

    >Who f***in crossposted this? Dammit.

    Originally it was posted to rfc and alt.fast-food or something, but I
    just crossposted to ARK this morning. Mainly because I was talking
    about meat smooshing and no one knows more about smooshing meat than
    Kibologists.
    There's only been two posts from ARK. Surely they aren't so repulsive
    that just two posts gets you this upset?

    Stacia

  16. Reg <[email protected]> writes:

    >Nancy Young wrote:

    >> Who f***in crossposted this? Dammit.

    >Glitter Ninja. To a troll group no less.

    Like I haven't done it before. I've been on ARK and RFC for over a
    decade, and occasionally crossposted particularly crazy RFC posts to
    ARK, and Nancy never once threw the f-word at me about it. I dunno why
    today everyone's got their panties in a wad about it.
    Besides, alt.religion.kibology hasn't been a troll group in years.
    There's only four people there and all they do is complain about Kids
    These Days. They couldn't troll if their lives depended on it.

    Stacia

  17. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Glitter Ninja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >>Who f***in crossposted this? Dammit.

    > Originally it was posted to rfc and alt.fast-food or something,

    No. It was not. I am the OP.

    nancy

  18. Mark Edwards

    Mark Edwards Guest

    No cluons were harmed when [email protected] (Glitter Ninja) wrote:

    [meat-smooshing]

    SHE'S BACK! YAY!

    Uh oh... I just told Kerri that you ran away and that she would be
    unable to beat up on you. Watch your back - Kerri may have a
    stapler...

    Mark Edwards
    --
    Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

  19. "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> writes:
    >"Glitter Ninja" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> writes:
    >>
    >>>Who f***in crossposted this? Dammit.

    >> Originally it was posted to rfc and alt.fast-food or something,

    >No. It was not. I am the OP.

    This thread was indeed crossposted to alt.food.fast-food. Check
    Google. If you didn't originally crosspost it there, that's fine, but
    it was crossposted by someone else during the duration of the thread.
    And since you seemed legitimately unable to determine who crossposted, I
    gave you a complete answer -- it was crossposted to a.f.f-f once, and to
    ARK once.

    Stacia

  20. "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> writes:

    >I have trolls killfiled, sometimes they are the cause of the crosspost.
    >I really didn't expect you did it. I didn't. I'm very surprised.

    Eh, feel free to killfile me. While it's not common, I've definitely
    crossposted ark and rfc before. It's no skin off my nose if you want to
    kf me for it if it upsets you.
    I did it because the thread had degenerated into "(this one)" calling
    my meat smooshing abilities into question, and the thread had been
    crossposted before. Plus I thought Kibo would have some burger facts he
    could interject with. Seriously, he's gone off on huge posts about how
    McD's mechanically processes their food, and I thought he might love
    this topic.

    Stacia