Re: Burger wars

Chris McGonnell wrote:

> >When I ran a ski resort foodservice operation, we made what we called
> >our "Junior Burgers" and patted them out in a public kitchen where
> >people could see them being done. Hundreds every day. Guess how much
> >they weighed?

> Are you sure it wasn't Band Camp? Is your last name Stiffler? My guess
> is the "hamburger" was mostly fat, which is filler. Try making a patty
> with round steak ground, and watch it fall apart.

I don't consider the fat to be filler. I consider it to be a major flavour ingredient. I add
a handful of bread crumbs to the ground meat to absorb some of that fat and retain the
flavour. There are few things as dry and tasteless as a burger patty made with lean beef.

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:26:31 -0500, Chris McGonnell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:57:32 GMT, Darla Vladschyk wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:05:22 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Glitter
>>Ninja) wrote:
>>
>>> OH WHAT A GREAT IDEA. THANK YOU MR. AMAZING COOKING MAN.

>>LOL! Hiya Stacia! Great to read you again! Am I still on your
>>Ladder of Hate? 'Cause I never stopped loving you, you know.

>Quit it, ya big kiss-up: Stacia's roastiing an asswipe! Wait until
>she's through.

Oh Jeeze I'm sorry. I am always doing something to **** Stacia off.
I feel like the hopeful nerd in brown shoes at the junior prom.

-=D=-

--
"I'm still here, you bastards!"
---Papillon

http://www.yougotta.com/DARLA/

--

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:29:04 -0500, Dave Smith
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Chris McGonnell wrote:
>
>> >When I ran a ski resort foodservice operation, we made what we called
>> >our "Junior Burgers" and patted them out in a public kitchen where
>> >people could see them being done. Hundreds every day. Guess how much
>> >they weighed?

>> Are you sure it wasn't Band Camp? Is your last name Stiffler? My guess
>> is the "hamburger" was mostly fat, which is filler. Try making a patty
>> with round steak ground, and watch it fall apart.
>>

>I don't consider the fat to be filler. I consider it to be a major flavour ingredient. ...

Man am I ever TASTY! Bwahahahahaha!

-=D=-

--
"I'm still here, you bastards!"
---Papillon

http://www.yougotta.com/DARLA/

--

_.-In rec.food.cooking, sf wrote the following -._
> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:47:28 GMT, Faux_Pseudo wrote:
>
>> The company paid $10 million in 2002 to settle a lawsuit by vegetarian
>> groups after it was disclosed that its fries were cooked in
>> beef-flavored oil despite the company's insistence

> I don't know how that sham make it through the courts. McDonald's
> used beef flavoring and they certainly didn't hide the fact. I knew.
> Why didn't you?

First off I never stated I didn't know about the beef tallow. I was
quoting a cnn article that said McDonalds admitted to not listing the
tallow as one of the additives. Maybe you didn't know how it made it
through the courts because you didn't know what the case was about?

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to

_.-In rec.food.cooking, sf wrote the following -._
> Those were the days before it was required and the frying oil was
> probably considered a trade secret. Personally, I didn't care.
>
>> People other than Hindus and vegetarians never seemed to
>> react at all.

> That's because the fries were crispy and they tasted REALLY good.
> Hindu's (McDonald's wasn't worldwide or even nationwide at one point,
> believe it or not) and vegetarians were barely a blip on the radar
> screen in those days.

In this case the days we are talking about were about 4 weeks ago.
This is /new/. I am not talking about the 80's when McD's was
worldwide I am talking bout this decade.

And they where much better then.

--

Darla Vladschyk wrote:
> Oh Jeeze I'm sorry. I am always doing something to **** Stacia off.
> I feel like the hopeful nerd in brown shoes at the junior prom.

I would gladly ask you to dance, even though my true heart
belongs to Miss Emma Woodhouse.

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 20:38:35 GMT, Darla Vladschyk wrote:

> Oh Jeeze I'm sorry. I am always doing something to **** Stacia off.
> I feel like the hopeful nerd in brown shoes at the junior prom.

Do you really care? If you do, KF her.

Chris McGonnell wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:57:32 GMT, Darla Vladschyk wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:05:22 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Glitter
>>Ninja) wrote:
>>
>>> OH WHAT A GREAT IDEA. THANK YOU MR. AMAZING COOKING MAN.

>>LOL! Hiya Stacia! Great to read you again! Am I still on your
>>Ladder of Hate? 'Cause I never stopped loving you, you know.

> Quit it, ya big kiss-up: Stacia's roastiing an asswipe! Wait until
> she's through.

Oh, she's through. Take my word for it, Chris. But I welcome your
participation. I sent you a very gentle, caring, group-huggish note in
reply to your other post to this subject.

No, seriously...

Pastorio

Faux_Pseudo wrote:
> _.-In rec.food.cooking, Bob (this one) wrote the following -._

>>>McDonalds has a history of not declairing all of the additives to their
>>>products. There have been at least two cases I can think of were beef
>>>tallow was included in their fries or in the oil and it wasn't
>>>declared.

>>Doesn't sound like you're too sure what you're on about.

> I apologize. I was operating under the assumption based on your
> attention to the news.

I do. Just not the hysterical popular press that more often than not
colors the "news" more than reporting it.

The sub-head of the article you cited says:
"CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- And another thing about McDonald's fries:
They're not gluten-free." But they are. And later in the article they
mention it.

MSNBC provided essentially the same article, but headed it: "McDonald's
fries contain allergens" And later in the article, contradict themselves.
<http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11326937/>

Take a look at how the consuming public interprets the inaccuracies and
compounds the hysteria:
<http://www.topix.net/forum/health/TARKGAKNHEQD082PK>

> So let me clear up the way I sound with some facts for you to digest.

Shoulda started there.

> Circa 3 weeks ago:
> http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.fitness/02/15/mcdonald.s.fries.ap/index.html
> McDonald's had said until recently that its fries were free of gluten
> and milk or wheat allergens and safe to eat for those with dietary
> issues related to the consumption of dairy items. But the fast-food
> company quietly added "Contains wheat and milk ingredients" this month
> to the french fries listing on its Web site.

Couple things. Just because it comes from wheat doesn't mean it contains
gluten, as the article explains. Likewise "derivatives" from milk and
the allergenic components. The fact is that they've been telling the
truth, as the article further says. There are no allergens in the
products. "McDonald's director of global nutrition, Cathy Kapica, said
its potato suppliers *remove all wheat and dairy proteins*, such as
gluten, which can cause allergic reactions."

Some other perspectives:
<http://tinyurl.com/g2y2j>

> The company paid $10 million in 2002 to settle a lawsuit by vegetarian
> groups after it was disclosed that its fries were cooked in
> beef-flavored oil despite the company's insistence in 1990 that it was
> abandoning beef tallow for pure vegetable oil.

This was a stupid move on their part. They did the classic CYA move that
almost always backfires: They said they were working on changing it and
would try to do it quickly. No deadlines. But a decade is a bit much. I
agree that they were at fault.

> <snip of your goal post moving>

Peddle that someplace else. Disagreement is merely that.

Pastorio

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:12:46 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Chris McGonnell wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:57:32 GMT, Darla Vladschyk wrote:

>>>LOL! Hiya Stacia! Great to read you again! Am I still on your
>>>Ladder of Hate? 'Cause I never stopped loving you, you know.

>> Quit it, ya big kiss-up: Stacia's roastiing an asswipe! Wait until
>> she's through.

>Oh, she's through. Take my word for it, Chris.

Yay! Bob graciously admits his well-earned defeat!

BW

[email protected] wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:12:46 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Chris McGonnell wrote:

>>>Quit it, ya big kiss-up: Stacia's roastiing an asswipe! Wait until
>>>she's through.

>>Oh, she's through. Take my word for it, Chris.

> Yay! Bob graciously admits his well-earned defeat!

I bet this brings the house down around the trailer park.

Funny how Stacia and Chris felt the need to send in the scrub team. They
were weak. You're looking up at empty.

Pastorio

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 02:32:44 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:12:46 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>>Oh, she's through. Take my word for it, Chris.

>> Yay! Bob graciously admits his well-earned defeat!

>I bet this brings the house down around the trailer park.
>
>Funny how Stacia and Chris felt the need to send in the scrub team. They
>were weak. You're looking up at empty.

Bobbo, you've got to work on your shtick. Your labored attempts to be
patronizing and clever and instead come across as defensive and
humorless. I'm reasonably sure that isn't the effect you're trying
for.

BW

wrote:

>I bet this brings the house down around the trailer park.

Wallace Shawn says, "Block that metaphor!"

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:16:07 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>mouthfeel

DING! DING! DING!

Game over. **** may now go back to casually displaying the copy of
"Bon Appetit" tucked under his arm as gazes wistfully at a $190 juice
machine at William-Sanoma.

"mouthfeel"

<snork>

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:28:29 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 02:32:44 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>[email protected] wrote:

>>> Yay! Bob graciously admits his well-earned defeat!

>>I bet this brings the house down around the trailer park.
>>
>>Funny how Stacia and Chris felt the need to send in the scrub team. They
>>were weak. You're looking up at empty.

>Bobbo, you've got to work on your shtick. Your labored attempts to be
>patronizing and clever and instead come across as defensive and
>humorless. I'm reasonably sure that isn't the effect you're trying
>for.

Once again, Barbara nails it in one. When Bobbo here performs yet an
agility run through the thesaraus, why am I left thinking that he
desperately wants to be thought of as Maj. Charles Emerson Winchester
III, the character played by David Ogden Stiers on M*A*S*H?

Well, without the irony of everyone but him knowning that he's a
pompous ass, of course.

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 02:32:44 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>I bet this brings the house down around the trailer park.

> Wallace Shawn says, "Block that metaphor!"

I bet you can quote Rocky Horror, too. Here's a piece of toast. You know
where to stick it.

Pastorio

_.-In rec.food.cooking, Bob (this one) wrote the following -._
> Couple things. Just because it comes from wheat doesn't mean it contains
> gluten, as the article explains. Likewise "derivatives" from milk and
> the allergenic components. The fact is that they've been telling the
> truth, as the article further says. There are no allergens in the
> products. "McDonald's director of global nutrition, Cathy Kapica, said
> its potato suppliers *remove all wheat and dairy proteins*, such as
> gluten, which can cause allergic reactions."

You keep moving this goal post. I don't give a pig about the gluten
content of the food. I do care when they don't declare, per the law,
the additives they use in their food.

To quote you:

If they added anything to the beef patties, they'd have to
declare it. It's the law.

To quote me:

McDonalds has a history of not declairing all of the aditives
to their products.

To quote the article I linked:

Not long after disclosing that its french fries contain more
trans fat than thought, McDonald's Corp. said Monday that wheat
and dairy ingredients are used to flavor the popular menu item --
an acknowledgment it had not previously made.

AKA they were not including the "Contains wheat and milk ingredients" as
the law states they must. The law doesn't say anything about if these
wheat and milk ingredients contain gluten or not. It states that if
milk or wheat are used in any form then they must be declared.

Maybe this issue is just too black and white for you?

--

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:16:07 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>mouthfeel

> DING! DING! DING!
>
> Game over. **** may now go back to casually displaying the copy of
> "Bon Appetit" tucked under his arm as gazes wistfully at a $190 juice
> machine at William-Sanoma.

<LOL> You should only know...

"****" huh? What brilliant repartee. Dazzling wit. Um, you have some
stupid-cream on your lip.

> "mouthfeel"
>
> <snork>

It always is to laugh large when fool demonstrate fact.

"Mouthfeel" is precisely and exactly a word. It's a widely used term
amongst adults, who don't wear plastic Spock ears, in assessing foods.
It's one of the - big word warning - organoleptic criteria. Take heart,
someday the big people will let you sit at the grownup table and you'll
hear words like that, too. Nearly.

You're why the saying "Silence is golden" was coined.

Pastorio

[email protected] wrote:

>> Funny how Stacia and Chris felt the need to send in the scrub team.
>> They were weak. You're looking up at empty.

> Bobbo, you've got to work on your shtick. Your labored attempts to
> be patronizing and clever and instead come across as defensive and
> humorless. I'm reasonably sure that isn't the effect you're trying
> for.

Barb...may I call you Barb...? I have some really, really friendly
advice to offer. I mean this is only the best way. To help you. Here it is:

> Your labored attempts to be patronizing and clever and instead come
> across as defensive and humorless. I'm reasonably sure that isn't
> the effect you're trying for.

I wouldn't normally quote others in offering this kind of heartfelt
information, but it seemed too perfect to pass up. Clean up the grammar
and punctuation and you've got a good life-rule for yourself.

Barb, sweetie - let me speak as a parent here - you need to settle down;
lose the angst and attitude. Maybe have a glass of Ovaltine and a nice
Oreo (remember to brush afterward) before you go out to play. Here's
your Medical Tricorder Playset so you can play "doctor" with your cute
little friends. We bought it here just for you:
<http://www.startrektoys.com/pages/frames.htm>

Pastorio

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> agility run through the thesaraus, why am I left

General life rule: When spouting **** about someone's else's use of the
language, it's always good not to demonstrate your unfamiliarity with a
"thesaraus."

Wondering why you're left is why you're left.

So uninformed Stacia, ill-formed Chris and vermiform Barb jumped in and
none has survived. If you scuttle off now, no one will notice.

Bwah...

Pastorio