Re: Burger wars

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Faux_Pseudo, Mar 9, 2006.

  1. On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:27:31 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
    >> On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 02:32:44 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I bet this brings the house down around the trailer park.

    >> Wallace Shawn says, "Block that metaphor!"

    >I bet you can quote Rocky Horror, too. Here's a piece of toast. You know
    >where to stick it.

    Oh, my. I have to say I'm a tad disappointed in you, Bobbo. In your
    frantic haste to toss back what must've seemed to you a witty retort,
    you failed to consider the possibility that someone else's frame of
    reference might not only encompass yours, but also extend beyond it,
    in this case well past minor character actors and cult movies. Still,
    I'm going to help you out here, Bobbo, because I'm your friend and I
    hate to see you continue to parade your ignorance for all and sundry
    to see as if today was Pride Day for the Slow-Witted and Culturally
    Destitute.

    1. Long before those shiny colorful movies that have so thoroughly
    arrested your attention, people told stories of all kinds, both fact
    and fiction, in what we grown-ups like to call "periodicals."

    2. The father of diminutive actor Wallace Shawn was the editor of one
    such periodical, in which regularly appeared bits of badly mangled
    prose under the heading "Block that Metaphor."

    That's all the time I had set aside today for remedial instruction, so
    I'm unable to tell you the title of the periodical. I expect you'll
    soon be scurrying over to google to complete this small portion of
    your lessons.

  2. On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:44:14 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    Free tip: When your attempts at being patronizing and superior make
    you look like such a fool, it makes you look even more foolish when
    you try to be even more patronizing. Try another technique.

    That is, unless you're only out to impress yourself. In which case,
    I'm sure the self-congratulations are their own reward.

    BW

  3. On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:42:48 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
    >> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:16:07 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>mouthfeel

    >> DING! DING! DING!
    >>
    >> Game over. Boob may now go back to casually displaying the copy of
    >> "Bon Appetit" tucked under his arm as gazes wistfully at a $190 juice
    >> machine at William-Sanoma.

    ><LOL> You should only know...
    >
    >"Boob" huh? What brilliant repartee. Dazzling wit. Um, you have some
    >stupid-cream on your lip.
    >
    >> "mouthfeel"
    >>
    >> <snork>

    >It always is to laugh large when fool demonstrate fact.
    >
    >"Mouthfeel" is precisely and exactly a word. It's a widely used term
    >amongst adults, who don't wear plastic Spock ears, in assessing foods.
    >It's one of the - big word warning - organoleptic criteria. Take heart,
    >someday the big people will let you sit at the grownup table and you'll
    >hear words like that, too. Nearly.

    You keep mispelling "pompous asses" in a variety of inventive ways in
    some vain attempt to align yourself with a group of people you
    obviously feel are your social and intellectual betters, but whom have
    thus far failed to clutch you nurturingly to their collective breast.
    Kinda sad, really.

    Here's a hint: Using a bit of jargon such as "subcutaneous
    inflammation" doesn't make me a physician.

    >You're why the saying "Silence is golden" was coined.

    The noise will go away once you stop moving your lips when you read.

    PS: Thanks to your appearance here, I better understand the audience
    for those ads in the back of "Bon Appetit," the ones touting a
    "Getaway Cooking Weekend with Chef [insert manufactured celebrity
    d'jour]."

  4. On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:11:33 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >PS: Thanks to your appearance here, I better understand the audience
    >for those ads in the back of "Bon Appetit," the ones touting a
    >"Getaway Cooking Weekend with Chef [insert manufactured celebrity
    >d'jour]."

    Probably the same ones who thought "Sideways" was a rilly meaningful
    fillum with a lot of profound insights and sophisticated humor.

    BW

  5. On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:44:14 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >[email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>> Funny how Stacia and Chris felt the need to send in the scrub team.
    >>> They were weak. You're looking up at empty.

    >> Bobbo, you've got to work on your shtick. Your labored attempts to
    >> be patronizing and clever and instead come across as defensive and
    >> humorless. I'm reasonably sure that isn't the effect you're trying
    >> for.

    >Barb...may I call you Barb...?

    Why, sure. If you're going to stick with the labored attempts at being
    patronizing and clever, why not go whole hog?

    >I have some really, really friendly
    >advice to offer. I mean this is only the best way. To help you. Here it is:
    >
    >> Your labored attempts to be patronizing and clever and instead come
    >> across as defensive and humorless. I'm reasonably sure that isn't
    >> the effect you're trying for.

    Oh, my. My, my, my.

    Shirley by now the Usernet has come up with a label for this kind of
    bottom-of-the-barrel lameocity. What does one call someone so utterly
    bereft of imagination and wit that he is reduced to merely repackaging
    -- verbatim -- the rebukes, admonitions, insults, and dismissive
    verbal size-10 Doc Martens in the ass hurled his way, then flinging
    them back like a deranged chimp with a fistful of feces?

    I suppose "Bob" will do.

    >I wouldn't normally quote others in offering this kind of heartfelt
    >information, but it seemed too perfect to pass up. Clean up the grammar
    >and punctuation and you've got a good life-rule for yourself.

    Bob, I'm always interested in discussing English grammar and
    punctuation, as are many of the others in these here froups. So other
    than the coordinating conjunction that Barbara obviously failed to
    delete as she edited her post, what exactly is incorrect about the
    grammar and punctuation of the two sentences you quoted? Just so
    there's no ambiguity, I'm referring to the two sentences you quoted
    when you were pulling a Bob by demonstrating that you are so utterly
    bereft of imagination and wit that you are reduced to merely
    repackaging -- verbatim -- the rebukes, admonitions, insults, and
    dismissive verbal size-10 Doc Martens in the ass hurled your way, then
    flinging them back like a deranged chimp with a fistful of feces.
    Those two.

  6. On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:48:24 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> agility run through the thesaraus, why am I left

    >General life rule: When spouting shit about someone's else's use of the
    >language, it's always good not to demonstrate your unfamiliarity with a
    >"thesaraus."

    A spelling lame? <rubs eyes furiously, blinks rapidly>

    Yep, a spelling lame.

    >Wondering why you're left is why you're left.
    >
    >So uninformed Stacia, ill-formed Chris and vermiform Barb jumped in and
    >none has survived. If you scuttle off now, no one will notice.
    >
    >Bwah...

    I wondered what happened to Bill Palmer. When did he start psoting to
    the cooking froups?

  7. On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:21:05 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:11:33 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>PS: Thanks to your appearance here, I better understand the audience
    >>for those ads in the back of "Bon Appetit," the ones touting a
    >>"Getaway Cooking Weekend with Chef [insert manufactured celebrity
    >>d'jour]."

    >Probably the same ones who thought "Sideways" was a rilly meaningful
    >fillum with a lot of profound insights and sophisticated humor.

    Plus also by watching it you can learn a lot about what wines go with
    what kinds of food and stuff. Or, as the noted food and wine critic
    Navin Johnson once said, "Why, do you realize that in the past two
    short months we have acquired the sophistication it takes some
    people a lifetime to acquire? Come on, let's toast!"

  8. tom

    tom Guest

    "Kevin S. Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:27:31 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

    > >> Wallace Shawn says, "Block that metaphor!"

    > >I bet you can quote Rocky Horror, too. Here's a piece of toast. You know
    > >where to stick it.
    > >

    > Oh, my. I have to say I'm a tad disappointed in you, Bobbo. In your
    > frantic haste to toss back what must've seemed to you a witty retort,
    > you failed to consider the possibility that someone else's frame of
    > reference might not only encompass yours, but also extend beyond it,
    > in this case well past minor character actors and cult movies. Still,
    > I'm going to help you out here, Bobbo, because I'm your friend and I
    > hate to see you continue to parade your ignorance for all and sundry
    > to see as if today was Pride Day for the Slow-Witted and Culturally
    > Destitute.
    >
    > 1. Long before those shiny colorful movies that have so thoroughly
    > arrested your attention, people told stories of all kinds, both fact
    > and fiction, in what we grown-ups like to call "periodicals."
    >
    > 2. The father of diminutive actor Wallace Shawn was the editor of one
    > such periodical, in which regularly appeared bits of badly mangled
    > prose under the heading "Block that Metaphor."
    >
    > That's all the time I had set aside today for remedial instruction, so
    > I'm unable to tell you the title of the periodical. I expect you'll
    > soon be scurrying over to google to complete this small portion of
    > your lessons.

    Ouch.......well done Kev. Hope you don't mind my swiping the "Pride Day"
    bit.

  9. On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:34:26 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:21:05 -0500, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:11:33 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson <[email protected]>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>PS: Thanks to your appearance here, I better understand the audience
    >>>for those ads in the back of "Bon Appetit," the ones touting a
    >>>"Getaway Cooking Weekend with Chef [insert manufactured celebrity
    >>>d'jour]."

    >>Probably the same ones who thought "Sideways" was a rilly meaningful
    >>fillum with a lot of profound insights and sophisticated humor.
    >>

    >Plus also by watching it you can learn a lot about what wines go with
    >what kinds of food and stuff. Or, as the noted food and wine critic
    >Navin Johnson once said, "Why, do you realize that in the past two
    >short months we have acquired the sophistication it takes some
    >people a lifetime to acquire? Come on, let's toast!"

    I was at Trader Joe's earlier today and, while waiting in line,
    enjoyed the sendup of wine snobbery in their goofy, wine-critic-style
    descriptions of the "varietal" chocolate bars. My favorite was the
    one with "a hint of tobacco."

    BW

  10. On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:02:26 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    >1. Long before those shiny colorful movies that have so thoroughly
    >arrested your attention, people told stories of all kinds, both fact
    >and fiction, in what we grown-ups like to call "periodicals."
    >
    >2. The father of diminutive actor Wallace Shawn was the editor of one
    >such periodical, in which regularly appeared bits of badly mangled
    >prose under the heading "Block that Metaphor."

    IOW, you were actually *complimenting* Bobbo by making that
    comparison. How typical of him that he would completely miss the
    point.

    BW

  11. On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:50:09 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

    >I was at Trader Joe's earlier today and, while waiting in line,
    >enjoyed the sendup of wine snobbery in their goofy, wine-critic-style
    >descriptions of the "varietal" chocolate bars. My favorite was the
    >one with "a hint of tobacco."

    A month or two ago, "Cook's Illustrated" ran just such an article --
    quite seriously -- about various brands of chocolate, though without
    referring to them as "varietal." What saved it from insipidness was
    the advice about which brands might be better suited for certain types
    of cooking.

  12. On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:46:20 GMT, "tom" <[email protected]~.com> wrote:

    >"Kevin S. Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:27:31 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

    <snip>

    >> That's all the time I had set aside today for remedial instruction, so
    >> I'm unable to tell you the title of the periodical. I expect you'll
    >> soon be scurrying over to google to complete this small portion of
    >> your lessons.
    >>

    >Ouch.......well done Kev.

    Indeed! And in his generosity, Kevin gave Bobbo two lessons in one.
    Let's see whether Bobbo can identify what the hidden lesson was
    teaching. I'm guessing he will. It was rather obvious.

    BW

  13. [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:
    ><snip>
    >
    >Free tip: When your attempts at being patronizing and superior make
    >you look like such a fool, it makes you look even more foolish when
    >you try to be even more patronizing. Try another technique.

    Agreed. I know attempting-to-look-educated when I see it, and this is
    pathetic pie.

    >That is, unless you're only out to impress yourself. In which case,
    >I'm sure the self-congratulations are their own reward.

    But! If he were only out to impress himself? Surely he could do this in
    the privacy of his own home, rather than on Usenet where hundreds (if not
    thousands) of sites would display his attempt to the world? No, he's trying
    to impress others. Unfortunately, his superior hauteur contains not even a
    hint of humor, self-knowledge, or self-deprecation, as far as I've seen anyway
    (I'm not a r.f.c inhabitant, so have only seen the feet he's been putting in
    his mouth over here.)

    Dave "less > more" DeLaney
    --
    \/David DeLaney posting from [email protected] "It's not the pot that grows the flower

  14. On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:23:12 -0800, "Duwop" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    ><[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> >Ouch.......well done Kev.

    >> Indeed! And in his generosity, Kevin gave Bobbo two lessons in one.
    >> Let's see whether Bobbo can identify what the hidden lesson was
    >> teaching. I'm guessing he will. It was rather obvious.

    >Ooh-ooh ! I know this one, "how to gratuitously cross post and win friends
    >and admirers from the safety of your keyboard".
    >
    >What do I win?

    Our enduring pity, for one thing.

  15. Kevin wrote:

    > Shirley by now the Usernet has come up with a label for this kind of
    > bottom-of-the-barrel lameocity. What does one call someone so utterly
    > bereft of imagination and wit that he is reduced to merely repackaging
    > -- verbatim -- the rebukes, admonitions, insults, and dismissive
    > verbal size-10 Doc Martens in the ass hurled his way, then flinging
    > them back like a deranged chimp with a fistful of feces?

    Without commenting on whether the behavior you describe is figuratively
    happening in this discussion, allow me to point out that said behavior
    constitutes the "I'm-rubber-you're-glue" argument.

    > I suppose "Bob" will do.

    Hey HEY! There are LOTS of Bobs who frequent this NG.

    Bob

  16. Marc Goodman

    Marc Goodman Guest

    Bob Terwilliger wrote:
    > Kevin wrote:
    >>I suppose "Bob" will do.

    > Hey HEY! There are LOTS of Bobs who frequent this NG.

    It's never to late to change your username.
    If my mom hand named me Adolf Hitler Goodman, I'd
    probably change my name, and there would be no
    shame in that.

    How about Willie? That's a nice name, and only
    somewhat reminiscent of male genitalia.

  17. Adam Funk

    Adam Funk Guest

    On 2006-03-13, John Schmidt <[email protected]> wrote:

    > in taste among quality chocolates. We're in the process of whittling
    > down a few dozen wines and ports to accompany 6 varieties of chocolate
    > for a tasting party. I've drunk MORE WINE
    > the last couple of weeks than I thought possible.

    IFYPFY.

  18. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-03-13, Bob (this one) <[email protected]> wrote:
    > To save all the need to read many repetitive posts, I've consolidated
    > them here for.....

    RFC News 3/13/06: Flamewars of Bombastic Bores Rages On

    nb

  19. On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:12:07 -0600, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2006-03-13, Bob (this one) <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> To save all the need to read my tedious repetitive responses, I've consolidated
    >> them here for.....

    >RFC News 3/13/06: Flamewars of Bombastic Bob Rages On

    Indeed. Did anyone bother to read past his first line? I sure
    didn't.

    BW

  20. Rich Holmes

    Rich Holmes Guest

    [email protected] writes:

    > I was at Trader Joe's earlier today and, while waiting in line,
    > enjoyed the sendup of wine snobbery in their goofy, wine-critic-style
    > descriptions of the "varietal" chocolate bars. My favorite was the
    > one with "a hint of tobacco."

    I mentioned Valrhona on a.r.k recently. Their literature includes
    "varietal" and "tobacco" while omitting "goofy" and "sendup".

    Good chocolate, though.

    --
    - Doctroid Doctroid Holmes <http://www.richholmes.net/doctroid/>

    "But only with kibological dooomsday bombs do you get the authentic
    wacky boing." -- John D Salt