Re: Bushings for early '80s Shimano 600 friction shifters

Herve Henry <[email protected]> wrote:
>http://search.ebay.fr/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZrudi224
>
> This person is selling shimano 105 down tube shifters. Might be what
>you want. I used them to replace my old simplex shifters and they feel nice.

Look like they're much simpler than the 600s I have.

I did get a set of Suntour shifters that have the
interlinked shift levers (so that moving the rear shifter
moves the front shifter a little so the front derailleur
doesn't start to rub on the chain), but they won't work
because my rear derailleur moves right when its lever is
moved up, and the front derailleur moves right when its
lever is moved down. So the tying mechanism works the
wrong way.

I can also get a set of index shifters and switch them
to friction mode, if worse comes to worst.

They're just ugly compared with my pretty 600s.

--Blair
"So I spent half an hour browsing
Campag groupos..."

> They're just ugly compared with my pretty 600s.

I saw some pictures of 600s. They did not look much better than my new
105. Maybe yours are different. My old simplex are still much nicer. But
I haven't seen any bike wreck with similar "very nice simplex shifters".

Herve

BTW: what is the size for a BB to fit an old racing stronglight (circa
1979 probably) 2 chainrings crankset. The frame is Peugeot circa 1979
and weights about 11kg when fully equiped for someone 6'2". Is there any
issue with left/right threads.

Herve Henry wrote:
> I saw some pictures of 600s. They did not look much better than my new
> 105. Maybe yours are different. My old simplex are still much nicer. But
> I haven't seen any bike wreck with similar "very nice simplex shifters".
> BTW: what is the size for a BB to fit an old racing

stronglight (circa
> 1979 probably) 2 chainrings crankset. The frame is Peugeot circa 1979
> and weights about 11kg when fully equiped for someone 6'2". Is there any
> issue with left/right threads.

Peugeot changed from French m35x1` to BSC 1.370x24t
beginning in 1980 so your bike's almost certainly French.
Both your cups unscrew anticlockwise.

The Stronglight 118 spindle is asymmetric and a few mm
longer than a 1046a Campagnolo bb. ( which is to say that in
that era a Stronglight Piste spindle fits NR road cranks and
a Campagnolo triple crank can be used with Stronglight's 651
sealed double BB)

While not as fanatically machined and finished as a Nuovo
Record or TA bottom bracket, your forged Stronglight spindle
is of good quality. Before seeking replacement parts, I
would open it and inspect for wear. You may need nothing
beyond 22 1/4" balls and fresh grease.

Retainers do not always clear that style BB so loose balls
are suggested. An accordion-type BB liner is a good $1
investment to keep crud out of your bearings. Especially on
a 25 y.o.frame.

p.s. I'd clean the arms well and inspect in a good light
right now. And a couple of times a year. The plain
non-anodized finish responds well to Simichrome. That's not
just for looks. A clean polished finish slows corrosion.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org